Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg started The Advantage Program in 2007 to help qualified families move out of shelters and into apartements with a 2 year rent subsisdy of $900-1100 month, provided one family member worked at least 20 hours a week. The subsidy was paid for by the city and rec'd state funding. No federal funding was used.

Reportedly, it costs the city about $3000 a month to house a family in a shelter so the Advantage Program was less costly. Apartments in the program do not have to pass the inspections typically imposed by Section 8.

The state cut funding and as a result, about 50,000 people are sleeping in NYC shelters each night and the Mayor has been on a kick to reduce the cost of operating city shelters. State Law does not allow the city to turn anyone away. The Mayor's office has stated that about 10 % of people in these shelters have other means. Who knows? Having volunteered in shelters, it's not exactly the kind of place one sleeps in, unless they have no other choice.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/02/08...n-program.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/ny...cked.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,035,535 times
The mayor of NYC is a busy guy looking out for his residents well being. Along with the shelters, he's concerned about the volume of ear buds that people use and wants to ban people from drinking out of styrofoam cups. He's also concerned about people driving through intersections and wants to install another 150 revenue cameras at intersections.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM

7,581 posts, read 6,046,380 times
WOW. I have a FREE place to stay next time I am in New York ???!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!
Come on Bloomberg, keep that Tax Money rolling in !!!!
Don't take everything I say on here so seriously. Laugh a little, you will have a better life.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The mayor of NYC is a busy guy looking out for his residents well being. Along with the shelters, he's concerned about the volume of ear buds that people use and wants to ban people from drinking out of styrofoam cups. He's also concerned about people driving through intersections and wants to install another 150 revenue cameras at intersections.
I am cool with catching people who run lights, too many people get hit by cars when people run lights. As for the ear bud thing, that is a grant that he is using to advertise the dangers of too much loud music because hearing lose has been on the rise.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,927,441 times
I am SO very glad he is in NYC, and I am NOT!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,959,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually if you are just flying in to nyc in your private jet then you aren't really paying for it because you are not a resident paying taxes.

But hey, guess some of us think it is cool to let the rich abuse the system. They do it all the time anyway and you Cons seem to still love and worship them for it, so why should I be surprised that you are cool with this.

Of course if this issue came up and Bloomberg didn't do anything about it to begin with, you guys would be up in arms with your outrage.
How is it abusing the system? YOu need a bed go sleep in a bed. That is what the beds are for. Fair is what we're talking about here unless you think it's only fair that rich folks have to sleep in the street and pay for poor folks to sleep in beds.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
How is it abusing the system? YOu need a bed go sleep in a bed. That is what the beds are for. Fair is what we're talking about here unless you think it's only fair that rich folks have to sleep in the street and pay for poor folks to sleep in beds.
Haha, you are too funny. I swear, I get such a good laugh out of your posts every time.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am SO very glad he is in NYC, and I am NOT!
Well NYC isn't for everyone and that is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies