Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times

Advertisements

Since when has the Dayton metro area been more then 20% black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
In the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area - Prince George's County, Maryland is 65% black, whereas adjacent Calvert County, Maryland is 80% white. However, Prince George's County has higher average property values than Calvert County. Moreover, the median income in Prince George's County increased as the African American population and percentage increased.

I should mention that Prince George's County is the wealthiest majority black county in the United States. Just pointing out a big exception to the OP. The DC area has a significant population of affluent blacks, even though the most affluent areas tend to be more white and asian.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-09-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area - Prince George's County, Maryland is 65% black, whereas adjacent Calvert County, Maryland is 80% white. However, Prince George's County has higher average property values than Calvert County. Moreover, the median income in Prince George's County increased as the African American population and percentage increased.

I should mention that Prince George's County is the wealthiest majority black county in the United States. Just pointing out a big exception to the OP. The DC area has a significant population of affluent blacks.
And yet if one looks at the principal cities:
Glenarden: 90%+ black, pretty poor
Bowier: 40% black, pretty well to do
College Park: 14% black, not well to do
District Heights: 90% black, not well to do
So on.

Some of those 90% black cities/towns they obviously have the resources to live in a non nearly exclusively black neighborhood if they wanted to. Same with College Park or one of the other white areas.

And Calvery County is in the middle of nowhere which probably has more to do with it having low property values than anything else.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sad, but true. Also, none of the metros mentioned are mostly Black.
The city propers are:

Dayton - 42.9% African-American
Memphis - 62.6%
Atlanta - 54.0%
Jacksonville - 30.7% (actually not sure why this one was included)
Rochester - 41.7%

Quote:
Nope. Even majority Black upper-income neighborhoods with low crime rates have lower valuations than majority White neighborhoods with similar income levels.
You have to look at the city as a whole to see why this is. Are there affluent neighborhoods in cities that have seen population decline and rising crime like Cleveland and Detroit? Yes. Are the property values in those neighborhoods as high as they would be if the economy was still booming and the city still had money to spend on schools and infrastructure? Absolutely not.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
You have to look at the city as a whole to see why this is. Are there affluent neighborhoods in cities that have seen population decline and rising crime like Cleveland and Detroit? Yes. Are the property values in those neighborhoods as high as they would be if the economy was still booming and the city still had money to spend on schools and infrastructure? Absolutely not.
I had affluent Black neighborhoods in metros like Atlanta (in Dekalb County) and DC (Prince Georges County) in mind when I stated that. They are undervalued and underserved in comparison to predominantly White neighborhoods of similar income levels in their respective metro areas.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM

93,293 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
The city propers are:

Dayton - 42.9% African-American
Memphis - 62.6%
Atlanta - 54.0%
Jacksonville - 30.7% (actually not sure why this one was included)
Rochester - 41.7%

I know about the city percentages, but none of those metro areas are mostly Black. I believe that the Albany GA metro is close or is slightly over 50% Black in terms of the metro area. Memphis is around 45% Black in terms of its metro.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
I'm from California, so I've never seen an area that has more than 20% blacks outside of Compton, and Compton is not the major city in the area
I've been reading that Hispanics have replaced most AAs in Compton, and actively run out any AA newcomers.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM

270 posts, read 838,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I've been reading that Hispanics have replaced most AAs in Compton, and actively run out any AA newcomers.
Yes this is true, I've been here my whole life though and remember when it was mostly black. Even today in that area I see a much higher percent of blacks than most anywhere else down here.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM

432 posts, read 610,106 times
Look at Washington DC.
Majority black and an average high income. I'm guessing it doesn't count for all cities right?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Has nothing to do with disappearing jobs. You can start your research here:

How Home Ownership Keeps Blacks Poorer Than Whites - Forbes
Solid! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies