Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They could certainly try, but they wouldn't be successful. In the catholic church for example, they can refuse to marry opposite sex couples for such reasons as "they've already been married once and divorced"- a big scam. My sister married and divorced an abusive husband. Years later when she wished to re-marry, our cousin who worked at the chancery had to put in a good word for her so that she could get married in the church "for a suggested small donation to the church" of course The same thing happened to my other sister's sister-in-law who married a previously divorced husband. What these religious ppl won't do so that they can stay in their church

I don't understand it, but it's important to them.

The church could just as easily say that they don't believe in it and refuse to perform the services, unless they wish to make a big donation
In Jewish tradition, for one to remarry while their ex is still living, they must be granted a "get" (permission) from that ex. When my father requested this from my mother, to marry his new wife, she jokingly threatened not to grant it to him. At least, I think she was joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
I worked as a reporter for many years investigating "grass roots" political organizations and NGOs. This included attending many of their meetings.

The goal of gay marriage is to eliminate the 501c3 designation for churches, using as a precedent, The Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University. (look it up)

That is why is must be marriage, but a civil union or other legal concept. The goal was start in CA, so that the case would be heard by the 9th circuit. A gay couple would ask to be married in church, and if they were turned away, they would sue. (See the Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University.) Prop 8 was a setback for this plan.
First of all, since you're the one who felt it important enough to make this post, you should have felt it was important enough to provide links to support your argument. I'm not going to waste my time on a wild goose chase over yet another far right conspiracy theory. So, here's my reply:

I worked as a researcher for many years investigating "grass roots" political organizations such as the tea party and PAC's funded by Republican causes. This included attending many of their meetings.

The goal of voter picture ID laws is to ensure that photos of targeted individuals can be made available to members of the ku klux klan who will then retaliate against anyone who did not vote a straight republican ticket. (look it up)

This is why it must be PICTURE ID's, not some other form of legal identification. The goal was to start in Alabama with the challenge to the Voting Rights Act (see the Supreme Court decision in the Montgomery, Alabama School Desegregation case). The renewal of the Voting Rights Act by Congress in 2006 was a major setback for the Klan.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I believe there will be some gay activists who will sue the churches that refuse them a marriage ceremony when homosexual unions right to marry becomes a civil right. If it ever does.
I don't see that happening, but if they did, they'd have absolutely no case whatsoever.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Can't force a church to marry anybody. Go to the courthouse.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM

688 posts, read 652,299 times
Quote:
I worked as a reporter for many years investigating "grass roots" political organizations and NGOs. This included attending many of their meetings.

The goal of gay marriage is to eliminate the 501c3 designation for churches, using as a precedent, The Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University. (look it up)

That is why is must be marriage, but a civil union or other legal concept. The goal was start in CA, so that the case would be heard by the 9th circuit. A gay couple would ask to be married in church, and if they were turned away, they would sue. (See the Supreme Court decision against Bob Jones University.) Prop 8 was a setback for this plan.
Lol. Yeah, because gay people wanting the benefits of marriage couldn't possibly be the reason...

Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
Lol. Yeah, because gay people wanting the benefits of marriage couldn't possibly be the reason...
Well obamacare should fix that. What now?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 AM

688 posts, read 652,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well obamacare should fix that. What now?
What does that mean?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I believe there will be some gay activists who will sue the churches that refuse them a marriage ceremony when homosexual unions right to marry becomes a civil right. If it ever does.
Don't you ever tire of being wrong? Why would that happen when it has never happened in any country that has same sex marriage?

Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:

This is such crap. I'm gay and I know lots and lots of gay people. I have never heard anyone say that they want to eliminate tax laws associated with churches.

The previous poster was right. You people always have to create a boogie man. If it weren't for fear of "the other", you would have nothing.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:

There was enough concern about the above in MD that the state's Marriage Equality Act included a religious exemption which allows a church to refuse to perform a same sex marriage. That was challenged in Committee while the law was being drafted and also during House of Delegates debate on the law. It remained in the final version eventually passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies