U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,355,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Good letter and spot on.
But it will fall on deaf ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,560,848 times
I joined the NYC teaching fellows program in the 2000s. I lasted one year and don't know how I made it that long. The discipline issue was #1 on my long list of reasons to not slave for the NYC DOE for the whopping 39k they were paying at that time. I remember the AP lecturing me because I used red ink to correct papers I put on the bulletin board in the classroom. The AP said I was damaging the children's self-esteem. I laid out the rules on day 1 and posted them above the blackboard. I was told to take it down...only post positive things. I was surprised...things have changed a LOT since I was in elementary school.

I remember: The baby chair, the dunce cap, standing in the corner..being sent to kindergarten with the babies because you didn't know how to act. Teachers are NOT allowed to do that anymore...it's all considered corporal punishment now.

The kids run the classroom these days and all a parent has to do is whine about their precious little brat and administration falls on the teacher like a ton bricks. Hats off to the teachers that stay year after year. I saw the writing on the wall right away and got out really quick.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM

14,379 posts, read 7,939,498 times
Originally Posted by petch751
Teaching starts at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
one of the many reasons I homeschool.
The PSS is digging their own holes.

They've helped to spread the misconception that home schooled kids are inferior, and their parent's extremists. I love it when I hear someone (usually a progressive) exclaim "there's no testing for home schooled kids!"

The public school machine uses public funds in their fight to close trigger and for-profit schools that get public subsidies. Even though these schools outperformed public schools, they want them shut down. As if the public school system isn't a for-profit entity (ridiculous) themselves. The first thing Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown did, was to fire the board members who are reformers and trigger school proponents, replacing them with the same cronies that ran the CDE two decades ago, including one that was a convicted felon for embezzling from the school system.

California is the example of how to raise taxes, in the face of bad management. We passed a new $50B tax increase in the name of teachers. Except, the fine print says that teachers will get any funds not being applied to debt! The latest "in the name of teachers" scam.

Home schooling is the last best hope of breaking their stranglehold on this country.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,730,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Teaching starts at home.
It does, indeed. However, once started in the home, it must be continued in the schools.

And, teachers that feel they've had a successful day because no child threatened them that day does not sound like anything was taught either.

But (and it varies slightly from state to state), when the parents can and are being arrested because a child has a scratch on an arm, then parent's hands are tied just as tight as the teacher's, and when you have a child raising itself, you end up with drugs and crimes. Where I'm originally from, we did not have that problem. Where I'm living now, a mother was arrested because her daughter went to school with a fresh hand print on her butt. Well before noon, the hand print had vanished, but not the arrest. And the area is overrun with drugs, shoplifting, etc.

When the parent's hands are tied just as tight as the teacher's, the kids don't have to worry about discipline. They're free to do as they want and talk back to whom ever they please. And even calling the police means nothing to them. There is no disciplinary action that they are afraid of. Then complain about all the children that are out of control and getting involved in school shootings.

As a nation, we've asked for it, and now we've got it. So, either correct it or deal with it. And stop complaining about guns and crime rates. It's ALL RELATED TO DISCIPLINE.

On a side note....

To use "days at home" as discipline will not work. Many children do not want to be in school in the first place. So sending a child home or making them stay home from school is not a punishment, but a reward. IN SCHOOL DETENTION IS FAR MORE EFFECTIVE. It does not reward the child, because the child must still go to school. Whether the child likes it or not.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM

51,721 posts, read 41,651,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont blame the teachers for the problems in our school system, i blame the administrators at all levels. they are the ones that set the policies, not the teachers.
Only if the administrators aren't appointed by elected officials. Everything gets *politically sensitive* when you start cracking down on bad behavior in the schools.

The real problem is the parents or lack thereof.

My aunt teaches in a somewhat economically depressed town in Iowa. It's not a big urban center, maybe 40k people give or take and quite a mix of kids.

She is nearing retirement age and I quote, "The kids aren't the problem, it's the parents." That's the ugly truth, it's always everybody elses fault and if your kid isn't disciplined at home, if you don't make them do their homework or behave....well that's the schools fault.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM

51,721 posts, read 41,651,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
one of the many reasons I homeschool.
100% agree with the teaching begins at home with you guys. I gave my oldest a summer reading assignment of "The Jungle" as one example and we talked about it's historical context and transitions in places like China as well as the rise of labor unions etc etc etc.

Depends where you live with regards to the PSS.

Fortunately, my public schools are excellent, my kids will be graduating with well over a years worth of college credits already in the bag.

In this day and age, we are incredibly fortunate to have the internet resources, lessons, examples available to teach from.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM

50,136 posts, read 26,559,079 times
Good for him. My son has just started teaching and he has the same criticisms.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,355,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
100% agree with the teaching begins at home with you guys. I gave my oldest a summer reading assignment of "The Jungle" as one example and we talked about it's historical context and transitions in places like China as well as the rise of labor unions etc etc etc.

Depends where you live with regards to the PSS.

Fortunately, my public schools are excellent, my kids will be graduating with well over a years worth of college credits already in the bag.

In this day and age, we are incredibly fortunate to have the internet resources, lessons, examples available to teach from.
Good school districts and good schools aren't the problem.
You will usually find that parents are involved and have expectations from their children.
Discipline issues are not taken lightly by parents.

Then you go into the "challenged" schools where parents don't answer calls, don't show up for meetings, blame the teacher and don't deal with the issues their children have.
The kids know this and use it to their advantage.

I've been in "challenged" schools for over 3 years now and across 4 districts.
The patterns are the same. If the parents don't care the kids don't care.
And teacher's hands are tied as far as dealing with discipline issues in the classroom.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,344,356 times
My kids have never had a discipline problem at school. I told them early and remind them often, "If you get in trouble in school, you will face the school punishment AND you will face my punishment." (Usually an apology letter read out loud to the teacher. Then I email the teacher to confirm this was done.) So simple and it only needs to be done once.

Also, I work fulltime, but I supplement my kids' education at home. The other day, my 12 yr old said he enjoys my history lectures . He said, "Tell me about Bill Clinton this time. I keep hearing about him but don't know much." So I said, "Do you want the 5-minute story or the 30-minute one?" He said, "Just the five minute for now." I also teach them about personal finance, constantly correct their grammar, proofread their letters to relatives (yes, they still send handwritten letters) and give them random math questions on road trips (If we are leaving Town A town at 6am and traveling at 70 MPH and Town B is 130 miles away, what time will we arrive?) NO PAPER OR ELECTRONICS, DO IT IN YOUR HEAD!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:29 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,195,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Letter from teacher to her school board is getting thumbs up from teachers across the country. I for one never bought into this school reform movement they always seem to blame the teachers but rarely focus on the home or community.
‘I have had enough’ – veteran teacher tells school board
Tons of stuff there that runs counter to many people's ideologies. Might be wise to discuss all of it, not just the parts you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies