U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 10 days ago)

18,832 posts, read 12,134,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Only 51% of Americans voted for Obama.

58% of Mexican citizens would vote for Obama if they could... Poll: Despite short shrift, Mexico would stick with Obama | GlobalPost

The American people suck.

Mexicans are much more appreciative of the various wonderful goods and services the US government can provide.

Thus, illegal Mexicans should be given priority by the US government since they're not whiny ingrates like most Americans.
What the hell?

Of course Mexicans would vote for Obama- he would give them things they have not earned!

Someone who has served in the military and put thier life on the line for the nation DESERVES tuition support. They have EARNED IT.

Tuition support for GIs is a far cry from government handouts to bums. Ironically, Obama is all for handouts to bums, but turns his back on US servicemen. Why? He despises the military, as most liberals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 5,290,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Look at it this way. Some get points for promotion for going to school while active duty. Not only that but sometimes it helps them with their jobs. Get Promotion Points - Education Online | ArmyStudyGuide.com

There are many military members who do not use their GI Bill. With that said, they have to reach certain criteria and jump through certain hoops just to transfer the GI bill to their child(ren) or family members. Even then there are guidelines for the spouse or child(ren) to follow.
Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

FYI- Before the GI bill changed, under the Montgomery GI bill, they had to pay in $1200. I know this for a fact because my husband did pay into it his first year he was enlisted.
Tuition Assistance Programs : Active Duty | Army.com

I dont think the White House tours should be cut at all. After all it is the peoples house.

Beside TA, they have cut is family/marraige retreats for families also- which I'm ok with because we could never take advantage of it. I wouldnt be suprised if the public schools who have military children in them loose funding, and the MTF's suffer also.
Again conservatives once again prove they don't believe their own bs about spending.

I don't know why conservatives think giving some explanation as to why they are against cutting this or that program disproves my point, but ok.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 AM

2,669 posts, read 4,479,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again conservatives once again prove they don't believe their own bs about spending.

I don't know why conservatives think giving some explanation as to why they are against cutting this or that program disproves my point, but ok.
Its hard to prove points about spending when you have a president who is spending along with approving money going out left and right.
Its not about giving an explaination. Its about the facts. Some soldiers DO need college credits to get promotion points. For some MOS's those points are hard to come by. If they really want to cut something with the military, how about they stop changing the combat uniform? In the time my husband has been in, he has had his combat uniform changed from BDU (winters and summers) to ACU's to now the multicam. We have our bonus room closet full of ACU and multicam uniforms and gear. Lets not forget the class A's going from greens to blues to now "were going to change it again" in less than 5 years. Cut back on the TDY's that can be done at their current post/base. Maybe even do away with military housing being privatized and ran by the military again and have who ever is living in the housing responsible for their own yard work. Have our elected officials (including our president) take a major pay cut and severly cut down on their travel. Better yet, have them live off an enlisted pay. There is alot of frivolous spending that can be cut out.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
Quote:
Its hard to prove points about spending when you have a president who is spending along with approving money going out left and right.
Its not about giving an explaination. Its about the facts. Some soldiers DO need college credits to get promotion points. For some MOS's those points are hard to come by. If they really want to cut something with the military, how about they stop changing the combat uniform? In the time my husband has been in, he has had his combat uniform changed from BDU (winters and summers) to ACU's to now the multicam. We have our bonus room closet full of ACU and multicam uniforms and gear. Lets not forget the class A's going from greens to blues to now "were going to change it again" in less than 5 years. Cut back on the TDY's that can be done at their current post/base. Maybe even do away with military housing being privatized and ran by the military again and have who ever is living in the housing responsible for their own yard work. Have our elected officials (including our president) take a major pay cut and severly cut down on their travel. Better yet, have them live off an enlisted pay. There is alot of frivolous spending that can be cut out.
I know that it is tough, but, not so different from the civilian working world where oftentimes, if one wants a promotion, one must pursue additional training, etc. It is very rare these days to find or expect tuition reimbursement for career advancement since it is considered voluntary.
And, we don't get BAH either.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM

39,136 posts, read 20,262,677 times
Yet Obama says he believes in education but refuses to cut spending on green energy for the education for the military, the very people who should be treated with the utmost respect and should be helped. Obama doesn't think so obviously.

Isn't Obama always out there on the campaign trail saying he wants to improve education??

President Barack Obama, who has called for the U.S. to lead the world in college graduates by 2020, proposed budget cuts that would reduce support for higher education by $89 billion over 10 years. Obama’s $77.4 billion spending proposal released today would cut a provision allowing some college students to get two Pell grants in a year

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
What is Obama Afraid of? Tuition for Illegal Immigrants and NOT the Military? Why on earth would The Commander in Chief wanted an uneducated force?

Military halts popular tuition assistance to save money | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

California Dream Act: 20,000 illegal immigrant students apply for state financial aid for the first time - San Jose Mercury News
Does the president write laws for the California state legislature?

Do people really not understand the difference between federal and state jurisdiction?

And BTW, the branches themselves CHOSE to cut tuition assistance.
As per this Army spokesman:

"The move comes as the army struggles to find more than $15 billion in cuts following automatic defense cuts that began when Congress failed to meet its deadline last week.

"You have to consider, OK what programs are going to be top priority," said Tom Alexander, Jr., chief of Public Affairs for Army Personnel."

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/education/...nce-program-d/

Old 03-20-2013, 01:44 PM

58,064 posts, read 40,832,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama will always put illegals first before Americans.. that is his baggage.. his racial baggage speaking
He's running California now? Or is it just that you would put your personal hatreds first before reality?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,771,098 times
Army, Marine Corps Cancel Their Tuition Assistance Programs …But Illegal Aliens to Receive Financial Aid

Duplicate thread.

And you participated in the thread that you copied the topic from.
Didn't like the responses there so you thought you'd try again?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28673521-post34.html
You posted the same post as your OP as linked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
He is really hurting poor minorities who are able to go college bu serving in the military. He is so anti minority, anti poor people, anti education.

Are you sure he is not a Republican?
What a load of garbage.

Military gets up to $4.5k per year + the GI bill.
If they don't use the GI bill because they got their education free, they can give it to a family member.
Talk about double dipping.

Why am I paying for their family members to go to school.
On top of the 50 days they get off every year.
Plus every other benefit they get.

The military is pretty much glorified welfare.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,771,098 times
Quote:
Look at it this way. Some get points for promotion for going to school while active duty. Not only that but sometimes it helps them with their jobs. Get Promotion Points - Education Online | ArmyStudyGuide.com

There are many military members who do not use their GI Bill. With that said, they have to reach certain criteria and jump through certain hoops just to transfer the GI bill to their child(ren) or family members. Even then there are guidelines for the spouse or child(ren) to follow.
Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs

FYI- Before the GI bill changed, under the Montgomery GI bill, they had to pay in $1200. I know this for a fact because my husband did pay into it his first year he was enlisted.
Tuition Assistance Programs : Active Duty | Army.com

I dont think the White House tours should be cut at all. After all it is the peoples house.

Beside TA, they have cut is family/marraige retreats for families also- which I'm ok with because we could never take advantage of it. I wouldnt be suprised if the public schools who have military children in them loose funding, and the MTF's suffer also.
Then they should use their GI bill benefits or pay out of pocket.
They have to take some part in their careers, everyone else does.
You're not special because you chose to marry someone in the military.
Make some investments in your education to get a promotion. That's what most of the world does.
Another example of spoon feeding the military, a glorified welfare program most of the time.

From the bolded: you don't get to use it so you think it's okay to cut the other benefit.
Funny how your colors show through.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM

6,342 posts, read 4,358,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Army suspends tuition assistance program for troops - News - Stripes
The Army’s tuition assistance program was available for troops to complete a high school diploma, certificate program or college or master’s degree. Under the program, the Army paid 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to established limits of $250 per semester hour or credit hour or up to $4,500 per fiscal year.

They still get the GI bill.
Why am I paying for rubber stamp schools overseas.
Graduates still can't write a coherent sentence in their native tongue.

Let them pay for school while in the military.
Again, the GI bill wasn't touched.

BTW, why is this in place at all?
It's expensive discretionary spending.

Also, if the military member gets tuition assistance and gets a master's/doctorate, that person can then GIVE his GI Bill Education Benefit to a family member.
How is that fair to the taxpayer?

Don't give me the drivel that they're special because they're military.
So before I get banned forever I am going to tone my response down.

They are special very special. I gotta say I am really pi$$ed right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies