U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM

2,670 posts, read 4,481,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And they're furloughing 750,000 federal employees who support the military to give even more benefits to the military.

Yep, that's the way.
Show me where this is going to happen.
They could use the money for 2 of the 10 C130's they are sending to this area to fund the whole thing.

Quote:
Then you knew what you were getting into.
I don't care when you married him.
I'll bet you joined for benefits.
It's not much different from welfare.

You want nothing to affect you, I get it.
It's selfish and another military welfare benefit.

I'm a veteran, I just don't think I'm special; nor are you.
Medical, uniform, food subsidies, utility and rent subsidies, educational benefits out the butt, 4 day "family time" weekends once a month on top of regular leave of 30 days.

I wonder if many people would join if they couldn't be on the dole for the rest of their lives.
How about only serving 4 or 8; or making it a 30 year tour to get retirement money?

If you don't like it, your husband doesn't have to keep re-enlisting.
No one is forcing him to do so.
There is no draft.

If you can afford kids, you can afford to buck up for some education costs.
What's the benefit to the taxpayer of your husband getting up to $4,500 a year in education benefits and being able to give his GI educational benefits to you or your kids?
None.
YOU have no earthly idea about anything of my life or others. I am not the only wife out there that didn't know their husband was going to join the military when they first got married.
As for why my husband joined? You answered your own question.
Quote:
What happened to the they join because they're patriotic, not because they get benefits?
And yes there are some who are still out there who do this.
As for him re-uping...the old saying "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" that applies to Daddy too. He is the main provider for our family...as we both think it should be. Lets face it, the job market out there is not exactly the greatest even if he was to get out.

He's paid into his GI bill, so if he choses to transfer it to one or both of our kids then who flipping cares...its his to give and there are stipulations.

Chielgirl- your really not worth spending any more of my time on. You obviously hate the military, think that your right on everything, and that ALL the military wives knew what they were getting into BEFORE their husbands joined military. That my family along with others who are military families are living on "glorified welfare" and that they are a "spoon fed military". Previously it was mentioned that you may not even be a US citizen. If that is true, WHY do you even give 2 cents? Oh and FYI...military can retire @ 20 years in not 30.
Have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,312,105 times
Quote:
What happened to the they join because they're patriotic, not because they get benefits?
I guess no one wants to see their benefits cut, just the benefits of others.
Education benefits and others don't get to eat, or will lose their homes.
But hey, you've got yours.
Don't ever talk to me about entitlements.
You think you deserve yours.

The assistance was going to be cut for 6 months. 6 months.
So, you get tuition assistance and 750,000 people lose 20% of their pay to pay for it.
Talk about the height of entitlement.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

This is the poster child for entitlement.

I get mine, you can starve.
Cheilgirl USUALLY you make sense but honestly.. would you take a job and sign a contract to work for the man and then not ***** over the signed contract being shredded even tho you kept your part of the bargain? This I dont get .. 18 yrs of a life taking chances in places most of us never see but from in front of the tv on the 6pm news and now these cuts to save money.. How making these cuts on the folks who are cutting the benefits .. that lardbutt white collar guy in Washington DC is likely a chicken hawk up for relection.. and has a barrel of pork he wants funded .. then of course theres the pay out to all these terrorist nations we make to keep other terrorists at bay.. and we send our kids to babysit a nation of women beaters and child abusers and think that will fix the problem.. dying isnt acceptable yet its ok to cut the support that makes it so these kids stay out on the line and hold it ..
I resent the thinking that entitlement is at play here .. the job has to be done .. an E8 life isnt easy anyways .. familys are disrupted and given short shift in many areas and you think breaking a contract is ok? We owe these soldiers who serve something besides a flip reply and or a smash in the contract.

I already paid the price for the good of the country and alls I got was a letter from the wh that said thanks for your sons service when my oldest kid offed himself from the pstd demons that nobody was treating .. so tell me these men and women should take a cut for the good of the country.. thats truely sad on anyones part that they should be ok with reniging on a contract that was signed in good faith by a person.

I do wish my boy would just quit .. and get a civilian job .. we wouldnt be scared at every late night knock on the door when he is out of country.. we wouldnt be nearly as worried if he had a job in the private sector .. but noooo my kids ) signed a working contract One has paid with his l;ife and one is rightfully angry that he has to honor a commitment with out a contract thats valid anymore ..

You wanna be angry ? to tell the g-d senetor or congruss man to quit give up the fat cat pension because they are to stupid or fearfull to take these soldiers places tell them freaks of political spew that they dont deserve a contract like they got .. they do nothing to earn it flat out .. NOTHING.. they were to scared to serve but they will cut those who do..

Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 AM

22,762 posts, read 16,204,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
my son sent me this .. its a personal letter he is griping to me his mother .. and yes he has a right to be mad as heII wouldnt you be?.. He will be retiring in 2 yrs .. so.. now what? ..

So there it is .. we are aruging over stupid stuff when those who live it are really on the line and some of you think these signed contracts with our armed service members shouldnt be honored?
"So, now what" what?

$70.000 per year, plus re-enlistment bonuses, combat pay...

I have a son in the army - he just made E-8, so, he's been in awhile too. He never, and I mean, never complains about his "measly" pay. Why? Because he knows it isn't "measly." He may complain about loss of opportunities to increase it, ie. not travelling enough, but, close to going on welfare? Seriously?

Half of all of the people who work in this country make 50% of what your son earns. And they have no job security. No guaranteed pension. No health care for life.

A little perspective is not a bad thing.

P.S. The tuition assistance was never going away forever. It was a temporary cut.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Cheilgirl USUALLY you make sense but honestly.. would you take a job and sign a contract to work for the man and then not ***** over the signed contract being shredded even tho you kept your part of the bargain? This I dont get .. 18 yrs of a life taking chances in places most of us never see but from in front of the tv on the 6pm news and now these cuts to save money.. How making these cuts on the folks who are cutting the benefits .. that lardbutt white collar guy in Washington DC is likely a chicken hawk up for relection.. and has a barrel of pork he wants funded .. then of course theres the pay out to all these terrorist nations we make to keep other terrorists at bay.. and we send our kids to babysit a nation of women beaters and child abusers and think that will fix the problem.. dying isnt acceptable yet its ok to cut the support that makes it so these kids stay out on the line and hold it ..
I resent the thinking that entitlement is at play here .. the job has to be done .. an E8 life isnt easy anyways .. familys are disrupted and given short shift in many areas and you think breaking a contract is ok? We owe these soldiers who serve something besides a flip reply and or a smash in the contract.

I already paid the price for the good of the country and alls I got was a letter from the wh that said thanks for your sons service when my oldest kid offed himself from the pstd demons that nobody was treating .. so tell me these men and women should take a cut for the good of the country.. thats truely sad on anyones part that they should be ok with reniging on a contract that was signed in good faith by a person.

I do wish my boy would just quit .. and get a civilian job .. we wouldnt be scared at every late night knock on the door when he is out of country.. we wouldnt be nearly as worried if he had a job in the private sector .. but noooo my kids ) signed a working contract One has paid with his l;ife and one is rightfully angry that he has to honor a commitment with out a contract thats valid anymore ..

You wanna be angry ? to tell the g-d senetor or congruss man to quit give up the fat cat pension because they are to stupid or fearfull to take these soldiers places tell them freaks of political spew that they dont deserve a contract like they got .. they do nothing to earn it flat out .. NOTHING.. they were to scared to serve but they will cut those who do..

All this for tuition assistance?
Wow. Just wow.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,756,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
There are many more illegal votes flotin' around than members of the services...besides they make sure that military votes are not counted.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

6,291 posts, read 3,388,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post

Yep. I'm seeing this. So sad. I bet if the shoe was on the other foot, she would be singing a different tune.
You ought to read what she's said about PTSD sufferers.

But she has plenty of compassion for those poor folks who have to take a 20% pay cut. The tuition assistance was only temporary, so I would think the pay cut would be , too.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
They could use the money for 2 of the 10 C130's they are sending to this area to fund the whole thing.

Easy enough to find:

"Hundreds of thousands of Defense employees across the nation are expected to be affected, mainly through furloughs but also through layoffs, Pentagon documents indicate."

http://nolesports.tallahassee.com/ar...cing-furloughs

"Nearly one million people will see one-fifth of their paychecks cut for five months, if the sequester is allowed. The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that they will be forced to furlough 800,000 employees for one day a week for just over five months, in addition to halting training operations."

Defense furloughs to hit 800K civilians, halt military training | NBC News

But, let's tear our hair over tuition assistance.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,312,105 times
TigerLily .. MY kid wasnt upset about the TA cut .. He said it was the idea they wouldnt honor the contract that they made and signed with him ( and other service men) The reniging of that sworn contract truely is a problem. What else will they take .. Right now the VA is making cuts cuts to promises made to soldiers who went to serve whole and able bodied and then returned hurt and broken and they are being denied the signed contract and expected to pay for the care? This is a sign of total disrespect to a system that is so selfish and so ingorent that they dont care .. I totally understand the phrase "indian giver" these days ..
as far as the kids salary.. He earned it he served he studied and he moved up to where he earns his wage .. took him 18 yrs .. ... maybe if some of these folks made the effort they to could earn that much and more even like his civilian conterpart does .. who went to school and earned his big bucks to .. ..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM

2,670 posts, read 4,481,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Easy enough to find:

"Hundreds of thousands of Defense employees across the nation are expected to be affected, mainly through furloughs but also through layoffs, Pentagon documents indicate."

http://nolesports.tallahassee.com/ar...cing-furloughs

"Nearly one million people will see one-fifth of their paychecks cut for five months, if the sequester is allowed. The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that they will be forced to furlough 800,000 employees for one day a week for just over five months, in addition to halting training operations."

Defense furloughs to hit 800K civilians, halt military training | NBC News

But, let's tear our hair over tuition assistance.
From the way this reads, its in reference to the March 1 cuts, not the TA being reinstated.
Oh and as for training being cut...its been cut already.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,777,396 times
Quote:

The letters are printed and will be delivered between 22-26 March.

YOU have no earthly idea about anything of my life or others. I am not the only wife out there that didn't know their husband was going to join the military when they first got married.
As for why my husband joined? You answered your own question.

And yes there are some who are still out there who do this.
As for him re-uping...the old saying "If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" that applies to Daddy too. He is the main provider for our family...as we both think it should be. Lets face it, the job market out there is not exactly the greatest even if he was to get out.

He's paid into his GI bill, so if he choses to transfer it to one or both of our kids then who flipping cares...its his to give and there are stipulations.

Chielgirl- your really not worth spending any more of my time on. You obviously hate the military, think that your right on everything, and that ALL the military wives knew what they were getting into BEFORE their husbands joined military. That my family along with others who are military families are living on "glorified welfare" and that they are a "spoon fed military". Previously it was mentioned that you may not even be a US citizen. If that is true, WHY do you even give 2 cents? Oh and FYI...military can retire @ 20 years in not 30.
Have a good day.
Yep, you've got yours, screw everyone else.
If your husband pays into his GI bill, then he can afford to go to school on it now.
We obviously need to change the requirements and cancel the GI educational transfer program.
We don't really need incentives to get people to join the military.

I'm a vet, sweetie.
And no, I don't think I'm special, nor do I feel entitled.
You're not even in the military and look at your entitlement mentality.

Missed the part where I was proposing that they retire after 30.
Why do we pay for the rest of long lives after a 20 year stint.
It doesn't make fiscal sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies