Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know why people jump all over the ACLU when it's individuals who are the ones who turn to them when they have problems like this. The ACLU wouldn't need to exist if everyone was respectful of each other and kept their personal ish to themselves.
Note to self: double contributions to the ACLU. I don't have to agree with the ACLU about everything to understand that few others are there ready to defend civil liberties. The NRA safeguards the second amemndment; the ACLU covers the whole Bill of Rights.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Well, hold on now. You have to understand the religion and way of life in Puerto Rico. The residents still live for the most part without air conditioning, and going there is like stepping a little back in time. They are very poor with a high poverty rate. About 85% of the people are staunch Roman Catholic. It's not just a religion to them, it's a religious way of life, all of which may not necessarily have anything to do with God as much as it is religioius activities. That is not to say they don't love God--not saying that at all. And I am not saying because they are Latino that their country is inferior. There's just a big cultural difference. A small percentage consider themselves non-religious.

They are a mix of Republican and Democrat, although they are more socially conservative Democrats. Younger Puerto Ricans want to progress their state, but many end up moving to the US. Because they are a little behind in the times, I am sure an organization like the ACLU will get this little police department straightened out and this will not happen again. I am sure the police department will fold under the crush and will abide by the rules.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Well, hold on now. You have to understand the religion and way of life in Puerto Rico. The residents still live for the most part without air conditioning, and going there is like stepping a little back in time. They are very poor with a high poverty rate. About 85% of the people are staunch Roman Catholic. It's not just a religion to them, it's a religious way of life, all of which may not necessarily have anything to do with God as much as it is religioius activities. That is not to say they don't love God--not saying that at all. And I am not saying because they are Latino that their country is inferior. There's just a big cultural difference. A small percentage consider themselves non-religious.

They are a mix of Republican and Democrat, although they are more socially conservative Democrats. Younger Puerto Ricans want to progress their state, but many end up moving to the US. Because they are a little behind in the times, I am sure an organization like the ACLU will get this little police department straightened out and this will not happen again. I am sure the police department will fold under the crush and will abide by the rules.
And they still don't get to discriminate.
Period.

Making excuses for discrimination?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Thank you ACLU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The ACLU is protecting your right to practice "Christianity" by making sure that others have the right to practice, or not practice, the faith of their choosing. The truth is that I'm pretty sure your brand of "Christianity" doesn't have much in common with the Christian faith that I follow (the love and compassion kind), and my Jesus wouldn't have much in common, or even recognize, yours. Because of the ACLU, you're free to spew garbage and hate just as much as you'd like, as long as you don't force it on anyone else.
Exactly.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post

If they ever become an independent nation not subject to the provisions of the US Constitution, then they can make up whatever wacky religious rules they want to. However, as US nationals Puerto Ricans enjoy the same Constitutional rights/protections as the rest of us. We should not make exceptions just because the island is majority Catholic; that's asinine.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
There is an attack on Christianity in todays country.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
There is an attack on Christianity in todays country.
Standing up to and attack are two different things. One is going to keep happening so get used to it.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Standing up to and attack are two different things. One is going to keep happening so get used to it.
Doublespeak.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I think most post here simply to get their jollies poking others in the eye. Whatever.

Just as it's wrong to tell someone they can not pray, it's just as wrong to tell someone they must.

It's not that difficult.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Doublespeak.
Really? Standing up to and attack mean the same thing in your mind?

I'll stop attacking you now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies