Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
The private, foreign owned, sector - taking the oil and profits out of Venez.

what's so great about that?

how would you feel if your tenants decided to steal the fittings from your house, or maybe the tiles from your roof.

not a problem right, seeing as you agreed to let them rent in the first place
If I come to an agreement with someone to build my business because they are damn good at what they do and will provide me with more profit than I can ever make myself who's stealing from who if I kick them out after they amke a substantial investment into that company?

Furthermore I then take what they built and run it into the ground, how smart is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,424 times
time for some more gems concerning Chavismo:

Quote:
The unemployment rate fell from 15.2% in 1998 to 6.4% in 2012, with the creation of more than 4 million jobs.
what a disaster, people are actually working now. I thought lazy was good

Quote:
For the first time in its history, Venezuela has its own satellites (Bolivar and Miranda) and is now sovereign in the field of space technology. The entire country has internet and telecommunications coverage.
technology - disaster! surely it's better for people to just sit around watching traffic instead

Quote:
Venezuela also provides assistance to disadvantaged communities in the United States by providing fuel at subsidized rates.
well this is the clincher! Helping the poor people of the US - could things get any worse? Well, I guess Hugo did make that redneck dolt Bush look like a sore old chump........

Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I come to an agreement with someone to build my business because they are damn good at what they do and will provide me with more profit than I can ever make myself who's stealing from who if I kick them out after they amke a substantial investment into that company?
The oil belongs to the people of Venezuela, regardless of any boardroom deal.

No doubt, the oil companies have generous insurance schemes to cover these type of eventualities.

premiums paid for, no doubt, by the US taxpayer.

It's all a big scam and rip off - to keep the sheep in their place!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:37 AM

Hey Kenneth, how about those food shortages?

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/wo...pagewanted=all

CARACAS, Venezuela — By 6:30 a.m., a full hour and a half before the store would open, about two dozen people were already in line. They waited patiently, not for the latest iPhone, but for something far more basic: groceries.

“Whatever I can get,” said Katherine Huga, 23, a mother of two, describing her shopping list. She gave a shrug of resignation. “You buy what they have.”

Venezuela is one of the world’s top oil producers at a time of soaring energy prices, yet shortages of staples like milk, meat and toilet paper are a chronic part of life here, often turning grocery shopping into a hit or miss proposition.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Hey Kenneth, how about those food shortages?
Meh...who needs food anyway.
Their adoration of oogo will sustain them.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 AM

From the same article:

Quote:
If there is one product that Venezuela should be able to produce in abundance it is coffee, a major crop here for centuries. Until 2009, Venezuela was a coffee exporter, but it began importing large amounts of it three years ago to make up for a decline in production.

Farmers and coffee roasters say the problem is simple: retail price controls keep profits close to or below what it costs farmers to grow and harvest the coffee. As a result, many do not invest in new plantings or fertilizer, or they cut back on the amount of land used to grow coffee. Making matters worse, the recent harvest was poor in many areas.
Sticking it to the private sector big time aren't they?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Meh...who needs food anyway.
Their adoration of oogo will sustain them.
Let them eat oil.... at least while it lasts.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 AM

from article:

Quote:
Some residents arrange their calendars around the once-a-week deliveries made to government-subsidized stores like this one, lining up before dawn to buy a single frozen chicken before the stock runs out. Or a couple of bags of flour. Or a bottle of cooking oil.
better to have to wait in line for cheap food than go without altogether.

How much food did the poor get to eat BEFORE Chavez rescued them?

That is the question.

Quote:
Venezuela was long one of the most prosperous countries in the region, with sophisticated manufacturing, vibrant agriculture and strong businesses, making it hard for many residents to accept such widespread scarcities. But amid the prosperity, the gap between rich and poor was extreme, a problem that Mr. Chávez and his ministers say they are trying to eliminate.
oh look, let's see what the next paragraph says shall we,

sure , in the past it was better for the wealthy (ie: the business community) - at the expense of the poor.

Chavez has rectified this anomaly.

All this right wing propaganda is just tears for the rich.

The rich who can STILL afford to pay their way out of trouble.

why do you love the elite so much?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM

look at this too:

Quote:
Mr. Chávez and his ministers say they are trying to eliminate. They blame unfettered capitalism for the country’s economic ills and argue that controls are needed to keep prices in check in a country where inflation rose to 27.6 percent last year, one of the highest rates in the world. They say companies cause shortages on purpose, holding products off the market to push up prices.
funny that you forget to notice this section as well: (add sarcasm icon yet again)

Quote:
But with inflation so crippling, many shoppers at those stores said the inconvenience was worth it.
“It’s an enormous help,” said Ana Lozano, 62, a retiree who takes in ironing to supplement her pension, who was waiting outside the Santa Rosalía grocery. “That’s why there’s such a long line.”

Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
from article:

better to have to wait in line for cheap food than go without altogether.
Until the lines get longer and longer.......

Quote:
BBC News - Hugo Chavez leaves Venezuela in economic muddle

The country now boasts the fairest income distribution in Latin America, as measured by the Gini coefficient index.

In 2011, Venezuela's Gini coefficient fell to 0.39. By way of comparison, Brazil's was 0.52, in itself a historic low.

So every Venezuelan now has a more equal slice of the cake. The trouble is, that cake has not been getting much bigger.
Here is the real problem for Venzulea's future:
Quote:
Mr Chavez's government took firm control of PDVSA in 2003, when it fired 40% of the workforce in the aftermath of a general strike aimed at forcing him from power.

But critics have accused the firm of neglecting maintenance while it funnelled oil revenue into government social programmes, especially after an explosion in August 2012 at the Amuay refinery, the country's largest, in which 42 people were killed.

Instead of investing in PDVSA to increase production, Mr Chavez treated it as a cash cow, milking its funds to finance his social spending on housing, healthcare and transport.
What are they going to do when the oil stops flowing, look to the private sector for investment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies