U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,058,888 times

Advertisements

Millionaire’s wife gets judges to toss their prenup - NYPOST.com

This, imo, is bs. This woman can whine and claim this or that, but she signed it. Now this judge lets her rip it up and get her ex's money in divorce.

This horrible ruling could very well change pre-nups forever and they might as well be meaningless.

This man should have to give her nothing as the prenup was written. Shame on this activist judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 AM

10,485 posts, read 6,180,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

This, imo, is bs. This woman can whine and claim this or that, but she signed it. Now this judge lets her rip it up and get her ex's money in divorce.

This horrible ruling could very well change pre-nups forever and they might as well be meaningless.

This man should have to give her nothing as the prenup was written. Shame on this activist judge

I would not put too much stock into this as 'changing' anything. Here in Texas (and, I believe, California) per-nuptial agreements may indeed be declared invalid if coercion is proven (as in the instant case), fraud, etc. Any contract is subject to being declared invalid if one party was committing fraud, making threats, etc., to get the other party to sign. I imagine the New York Post was 'puffing' up the story, as they are prone to do.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM

51,708 posts, read 41,644,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I would not put too much stock into this as 'changing' anything. Here in Texas (and, I believe, California) per-nuptial agreements may indeed be declared invalid if coercion is proven (as in the instant case), fraud, etc. Any contract is subject to being declared invalid if one party was committing fraud, making threats, etc., to get the other party to sign. I imagine the New York Post was 'puffing' up the story, as they are prone to do.
^^Bingo.

Pre-nups aren't invalid but the usual requirements needed to create a valid contract are still there.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 AM

66,237 posts, read 33,625,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Contract law and legislating from the bench.
An appeal will soon follow.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM

6,502 posts, read 5,058,888 times
She still went through with the marriage. She was not forces to marry. She now complains to a judge about it because the inevitable divorce happened.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM

23,974 posts, read 32,708,254 times
Quote:
Agreed. If you could demonstrate that a signature was coerced, you might be able to get a prenup tossed in Texas too.

I'd still require any future spouse of mine to sign one if I ever get married again...which I probably won't do because men are trying to take women to the cleaners here now. It's getting ridiculous. (When I got divorced, it was amicable and the assets were divided evenly.)

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM

27,237 posts, read 17,533,850 times
Hopefully the guy has the funds to appeal this to another court. Hate to see the golddigger get her way, after she signed a contract.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM

25,631 posts, read 30,336,318 times
Good for her.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,978,491 times
Sorry, but prenups are often not iron clad. We have friends whose mother remarried late in life (in her 70s), after her first husband died. The second husband was a huge mooch, had absolutely nothing but his social security check, and she was very comfortable financially--he was younger than she was, and saw her coming a mile away as a gravy train. The prenup that he signed and her will both said that, in the event of her death, he got nothing and everything went to her children. She paid every single bill through the 10 years of their marriage and he used his SS as personal spending money. When she died, the kids had to pay him off to the tune of over $100K because she'd left him nothing, and the judge thought that was unreasonable. There was never any talk of the signature not being valid--my husband (an attorney) is guessing that the second husband didn't have his own lawyer and the judge determined that no reasonable person would agree to nothing. My friend said that if the mom had left the husband even $10K the prenup would have been upheld--her lawyer was an idiot. I think the worst part was that he was absolutely awful to her family and to her, and she was considering divorcing him before she died. If the kid's Dad hadn't left his portion of the estate to the kids, in life estate for the mom, the second husband would have taken even more.

I know of another situation where an elderly husband had a prenup with his new wife, didn't give the kids a copy and put the only copy in the safety deposit box. Guess what got burned before they'd even been to the mortuary to buy a casket?

Last edited by mb1547; 03-11-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM

7,295 posts, read 2,369,834 times
Not seeing the issue.

Quote:
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies