Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
And Black teenagers with guns have shown themselves to be honest forthright citizens incapable of killing people at the slightest whim?

Your post is indicative of why I lump middle class African-Americans with poor African-Americans. The thinking of the two groups from my standpoint is the same. Middle class people tend to support law and order. While they don't support police brutality most middle class people would at least give them police the benfit of the doubt not reflexively side with criminals.

I'm an African American. I have seen blacks of all classes abused by police. Some are my relatives. I don't reflexively side with criminals at all. I side with the right side, and law enforcement has shown me over the years that some of the worst criminals wear blue suits, badges and guns.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Irrelevant. He had a gun, and likely in his hand. It was justified. Cops have gotten off after shooting someone who was unarmed, simply because it was believable that they thought he had a gun (Diallo case.) The perp actually had a gun in this case, so it's pretty much open and shut. The cops won't get charged, won't get fired, and a wrongful death suit will likely fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What if he was just trying to ditch it? Cops freak out at the sight of a gun. They fired 11 times, shot the kid four, 2 torso, and his legs. I don't like this at all.
Then they get sent to the hospital for trauma. Next we'll be paying for their disability.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

554 posts, read 608,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post

Police say that Kimani Gray pointed a gun at them at which they proceeded to fire at him, witnesses say they did not see a gun and said they heard Gray say "Please, don't let me die" they responded "Stay down or we'll shoot you again."

Just put yourself is this young man shoes and see how it may feel to hear that as one of the last things said to you. I'm sick and tired of these cops getting off with killing our youth and not having any severe consequences for their actions, except a slap on the wrist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/11/ny...ice.html?_r=1&
According to the NY Post:

"The teen’s rap sheet includes four prior arrests, including charges of grand larceny, possession of stolen property and inciting a riot, sources said."

I'm not a knee-jerk supporter of cops. However, I think there's been a rush to judgment here, as usual. The overall consensus seems to be a suggestion that the cops planted a gun on this kid. That would be a very very fool-hardy thing to do, considering the number of video cameras in NYC which routinely record events.

If he did have a gun and pointed it at police, well ... that was a very bad mistake, and the police will bear no legal liability.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
Only three things concern me about this shooting.

1. The officers were in plain clothes. Did they identify themselves as police?
2. I've seen reports where it said the kid was running for his life. Why? It appears his concern was justified.
3. If the kid pointed a gun at officers who identified themselves, I am very disappointed in the shot to miss ratio.

I wish there were video to this incident. It should answer any and all questions. If the kid pointed a gun at identified cops, good shoot. If he was merely running away, in fear for his life... Bad cops, no donuts.

My point in this is we need even MORE videos rolling all the time. Get a phone that has one, learn how to use it, then use it a lot.

When I reflect on my opinions and beliefs, I think it is sad that I cannot automatically bring myself to believe most law enforcement officers are good. So looking deeper, I begin to wonder why I feel that way. I look at many interactions I have seen between LEOs and citizens (very few involving me and those were traffic related), and I noticed a major tendency for LEOs to escalate an incident rather than diffuse it. I've seen this in the form of simple body language, actual language including being verbally abusive, verbally threatening, using physical force where absolutely none was needed, tasing because the LEO didn't think the citizen was obeying fast enough, etc. This brings me back to my conclusion that ALL LEOs should be required to take and master Verbal Judo.

Here is a good video of Verbal Judo
Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict Through Conversation - YouTube

A short recommendation for Verbal Judo
Bill Hogan - Critically Important program, Verbal Judo - YouTube

For what it's worth, I could use this training myself... but I am not in a position of authority like a LEO.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Cops are trash
Why would you say such a thing? Has your experience been that bad? Statements like that just make things worse for everybody.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
Why the hell do you people keep saying this..where were the people of the Caribbean stolen from?
What difference does it make anyway? I don't see how his skin color is relevant.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM

267 posts, read 202,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What difference does it make anyway? I don't see how his skin color is relevant.
Because you're white most likely.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm an African American. I have seen blacks of all classes abused by police. Some are my relatives. I don't reflexively side with criminals at all. I side with the right side, and law enforcement has shown me over the years that some of the worst criminals wear blue suits, badges and guns.
and yet, you want gun control.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
According to the NY Post:

"The teen’s rap sheet includes four prior arrests, including charges of grand larceny, possession of stolen property and inciting a riot, sources said."

I'm not a knee-jerk supporter of cops. However, I think there's been a rush to judgment here, as usual. The overall consensus seems to be a suggestion that the cops planted a gun on this kid. That would be a very very fool-hardy thing to do, considering the number of video cameras in NYC which routinely record events.

If he did have a gun and pointed it at police, well ... that was a very bad mistake, and the police will bear no legal liability.
Regardless.....one less dirtbag.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Please cite these laws currently on the books that say Blacks have no human rights.

Thanks.
Constitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Irrelevant. He had a gun, and likely in his hand. It was justified. Cops have gotten off after shooting someone who was unarmed, simply because it was believable that they thought he had a gun (Diallo case.) The perp actually had a gun in this case, so it's pretty much open and shut. The cops won't get charged, won't get fired, and a wrongful death suit will likely fail.
What did they say to make you so blind to your conscience and reason? You and everybody else supporting these pigs that is my only question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies