Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
why shouldn't they be?

or are you happy to deny children a place to play in, just so a developer can make even more profit?

is money all you care about?
How about you and your friends buy the property and donate it to the city to be used as a public park.

Problem solved and everyone gets a trophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
That is the kind of argument a 13 year old would come up with.

Lame.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
why shouldn't they be?

or are you happy to deny children a place to play in, just so a developer can make even more profit?

is money all you care about?
What's more important, the roof over their head or the basketball court?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Wow, the "just get a job" solution.

Ingenious.

So simple, so profound, so easy.

You should be king of the planet. I mean if you can solve people's issues so easily I propose to make you king, like the Wizard of Oz or something.

Just imagine how stupid the rest of us are. I mean people like you have the solutions we all crave.

On welfare... "JUST get a job"

Can't afford enough food..."JUST get a better job"

Have a college degree and working barely over minimum wage part time in retail..."JUST get more skills and GET A BETTER JOB."

Can't afford to retire...Just keep working..."You Should've had A BETTER JOB"

All we need to do to solve our problems is to just get everyone on the planet in, "A BETTER JOB."

Why do we even need elections, political parties, governments or differing philosophical opinions on economics or government or anything.

After all a certain segment on city-data and in the population in general have the answer and repeat it ad nauseam etc... constantly:

"JUST get MORE SKILLS" and "GET A BETTER JOB"!

Well, now that the issue of poverty is laid to rest perhaps some of you "problem solvers" can tackle pollution or diabetes or cancer.
And your solution is what?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
That is the kind of argument a 13 year old would come up with.

Lame.
What about your own "conservatives just hate poor people" argument?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
top post

The 'get more skills' dogmatists are a real obtuse bunch.
What is amazing is just how offensive the concept of getting a job actually is to some people. Imagine actually having to work for something. Oh the humanity!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How about you and your friends buy the property and donate it to the city to be used as a public park.

Problem solved and everyone gets a trophy.
Come on now, you don't expect a liberal to actually spend their own money on their ideals do you?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
If they are building up the whole area the older projects are history anyway. You can't keep things they way they are forever. The only thing you can count on is that large scale public housing will never trump property value and improvement. I'm very liberal and even I'm ok with that. I'm sure someone is already thinking about where they want to relocate everyone.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And your solution is what?
I don't have one and I don't claim to have one. That's my point. I'm not going to sit on here and give ridiculously simple solutions to systemic, complex problems.

There are people with college degrees who are unemployed and /or severely underemployed. And yet when discussions come up about inner-city ghetto and project inhabitants and their problems or people on welfare (And there are plenty of destitute white areas also) there are always a chorus of people shouting, "Just get more skills, get a better job." OR, "Just get a job."

If not everyone with a bachelors degree can find gainful employment than how do you expect inner-city people or people who come from generations of poverty in the sticks to suddenly pull themselves up by the bootstraps and find a job that would allow them to be self sufficient?

Getting "skills" is not cheap. And I know people with skills who have been in and out of work for long stretches the last few years. To add more people to their unions (electrical and plumbing) would not benefit them or the people being added. There's only so much work to be done.

If you want to look for solutions than look at something like "Zeitgeist" or something similar.

The point is there are only so many jobs and services needed to be done. Everything after that is surplus. It's not needed. Even Major League Baseball has a maximum amount of baseballs they use each year. It's a whole lot of balls but it's a finite number. There is a limit.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What is amazing is just how offensive the concept of getting a job actually is to some people. Imagine actually having to work for something. Oh the humanity!
It depends on what the job is , and how much it pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies