U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Midvale, UT
245 posts, read 182,964 times
Reputation: 116

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Twelve-year-old Bailey O'Neil died last week in Philadelphia after being beaten up by 2 classmates in the school yard.

"It was an altercation in the schoolyard where a kid wanted to fight my son, and my son wanted to walk away," Rob O'Neill said. "One boy pushed Bailey into the kid [who wanted to fight him]. That kid then hit him in the face, then he hit his head on the ground. One pushed him into the kid, then the other kid did the rest of the work."

Afterwards, Bailey felt ill and his personality seemed to change. Then he started having seizures; he died in the hospital on March 4th.

The two attackers received two-day school suspensions. The police are investigating.



Bullied Boy Dies: Bailey O'Neill, 12, Dead Weeks After School Bullying - ABC News
It's a good thing the two attackers didn't bite their pop-tarts into the shape of guns or they would have received a full week's suspension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Midvale, UT
245 posts, read 182,964 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is here because some people object to schools interfering in the "natural order of things" where the biggest meanest bullying thugs rule the playground and the hallways.

When I was I high school several decades ago bullying was pretty much ignored by the school authorities. The first time I was hit by a bully I complained to the Vice Principal. He said he could do nothing about it because there were too many places to cover. I told him if that was the way it was I would solve my own problems. The next tome this kid and his friend tried to hit me I broke his knee and several ribs and his buddy wore a jock strap for a couple weeks. When the VP started to yell at me I told him he had said to handle it my way. What I did was my way. BTW - they never bothered me again.

If the school is not willing to keep the bullies from harming the kids, the kids need to take fighting lessons and damage the bullies enough that they dare not continue.
Well done, I'm glad that you stood up for yourself. The one instance I had with bullying as a child occurred in elementary school. A kid on the playground wouldn't leave me alone and kept chasing me. Ultimately I hit him and I was the one the school came after. Public schools are appalling in their negligence. They are completely reactionary. Bullying is a problem worldwide, but the schools only take action when people stand up to defend themselves, and then they punish those who will not become victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Midvale, UT
245 posts, read 182,964 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Exactly. He should have fought them. He should have defended himself. Blame the victim.
Well hold on there a second. Kids are being taught not to fight, to walk away; that violence is bad. His choice to walk away may have been the result of what he was taught or fear of fighting. Who knows. I agree that the two responsible should be charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
30,178 posts, read 16,665,894 times
Reputation: 22689
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Tough on the keyboard? I was a kid once were you? Some clown comes around pushing you around you drop your gloves and go at it. Somebody else jumps in you hope your buddies are around or you will most likely get whupped. Why is that so hard to understand?
That is not hard to understand. It's your implication that had this boy fought back - that he would not have suffered a head injury or died and you absolutely do not know that to be true.

Yes, I always think that you should defend yourself - to the best of your ability. IF there are two boys punching on one boy - chances are the two against one are going to win the 'fight'. At least in the real world that is often how it goes down.

All I am saying is this is not a liberal vs. conservative issue - at least not in MY world.

Fights happen. People try to defend themelves. Sometimes they are successful. Sometimes very bad things happen that were unintended. Do I believe that these two boys intended to kill the 12 year old? No, I don't. But - that IS what happened. A schoolyard fight turned into a death and most likely the parents are NOT just going to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 4,547,542 times
Reputation: 1542
Apparently, many feel that because this poor kid didn't fight back he deserved the outcome. Pretty pathetic. First of all, it was 2 on 1. Perhaps the kid said "I will fight ONE of you but not TWO of you"? The two cowardly thugs probably responded "no" and started beating the kid. Two 12 year olds attacking another twelve year old is tough to fight back. While I have a hard time understanding why the kid didn't at least try to hit his attackers, maybe it was because he couldn't? One kid was holding him down and the other kicking him, right? Maybe this kid was thinking "If I don't fight back, they will stop"? This kid did not deserve to be attacked. He did not deserve to be killed and he does not deserve the animosity that is being spewed from many members on this board.

All you tough guys who think they have an answer to every punch have no idea what happened in this ATTACK. The kid would still be alive today if he wasn't ATTACKED. You don't know the two thugs who ATTACKED him weren't trying to kill him. These two thugs knew what they were doing was wrong and deserve jail time and all the a$$-kickings they can receive while in jail.

If this were your child, would you be like "Well, he didn't fight back and he should have.". Yeah, I didn't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
 
4,839 posts, read 3,572,263 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post

If this were your child, would you be like "Well, he didn't fight back and he should have.". Yeah, I didn't think so.
Exactly! It's all these keyboard commandos on here. They think they know it all & better than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,093,018 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Apparently, many feel that because this poor kid didn't fight back he deserved the outcome. Pretty pathetic. First of all, it was 2 on 1. Perhaps the kid said "I will fight ONE of you but not TWO of you"? The two cowardly thugs probably responded "no" and started beating the kid. Two 12 year olds attacking another twelve year old is tough to fight back. While I have a hard time understanding why the kid didn't at least try to hit his attackers, maybe it was because he couldn't? One kid was holding him down and the other kicking him, right? Maybe this kid was thinking "If I don't fight back, they will stop"? This kid did not deserve to be attacked. He did not deserve to be killed and he does not deserve the animosity that is being spewed from many members on this board.

All you tough guys who think they have an answer to every punch have no idea what happened in this ATTACK. The kid would still be alive today if he wasn't ATTACKED. You don't know the two thugs who ATTACKED him weren't trying to kill him. These two thugs knew what they were doing was wrong and deserve jail time and all the a$$-kickings they can receive while in jail.

If this were your child, would you be like "Well, he didn't fight back and he should have.". Yeah, I didn't think so.
Nobody deserves to be bullied or assaulted for no reason but to just be a jerk. The kid did not deserve it. Which is why crap like zero tolerance doesn't work. It makes it so someone can't defend themself because they too will be punished equally. Having said that my heart goes out to the kid's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,993,124 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
Well hold on there a second. Kids are being taught not to fight, to walk away; that violence is bad. His choice to walk away may have been the result of what he was taught or fear of fighting. Who knows. I agree that the two responsible should be charged.
Well, violence IS bad. It takes the better, more mature person to walk away from a fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,697 posts, read 74,699,564 times
Reputation: 48232
this is the type of thing parents on CDF talk about, they say it does not happen in their school that i must be talking about some other school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,993,124 times
Reputation: 4547
Oddly enough, on today's news, one of Bailey's classmates, who had been an alter server at his funeral, was just involved in an incident supposedly related to bullying. The mother incited her daughter to fight the girl who was bullying her, and now the Mom and daughter are in jail. (!) There's a video here (which I have not watched.)

Clifton Heights mom incited daughter to fight, police say | 6abc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top