U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM

5,645 posts, read 4,131,900 times

Advertisements

I take back my previous assertion that the kids should be charged with some kind of murder or homicide. I just reread the article and it says he got pneumonia and had a blood transfusion and then was put into a medically induced coma. My MIL was sick and then got pneumonia as a complication and had to be put into a coma. The coma is not a direct result of the original thing that occurred, in this case, it would be the head trauma the boy suffered.

My question is, how would getting hit in the head a few times give one pneumonia?? That could be completely unrelated and seems to be the cause of his death, not the concussion or seizures. I agree with the other posters that more info is needed as kids do not normally die weeks after getting beaten up by 12 year olds. And if the dad thought something wasn't right, he should have taken him to get checked out instead of waiting for the onset of seizures, maybe they could have done something.

So while I don't condone physical violence, I think this was just boys being boys. They should probably be charged with assault instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 PM

15,051 posts, read 4,804,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How are these people who are "truly concerned about school violence and bullying" going to solve the problem?

By making rules against bullying?

Those already exist.

Kids need to learn to defend themselves and be told that doing so is OK, not something that they will be punished for.

I ranked second place in 7th grade for the most detentions in the Jr. High School, and was banned from going on the Disneyland trip in 8th grade - which I avoided not having to put up with because i moved to Washington State in the between years - all because I was constantly bullied, I chose to fight back, and my school had a typical liberal "zero tolerance" policy.
It will depend on the dedication of the school principal/administrators and the parents. They have to ENFORCE those rules. Just having them is not enough. It is unfortunate you were put in that position of defending yourself. As a last resort, it is probably necessary. I was lucky. The "bullies" at my schools were actually cowards. Take a step or two toward them (after they knocked books out of hand or whatever) and they ran away. This was in the 60's/70's. There are schools that have been successful, but the school leadership, parents and students are working together. The biggest problem is the "macho man" father that won't stop his "bully" son. That is the biggest impediment to progress.

I am not critical of you for defending yourself. It is sad that the principal and other administrators at your school chose to ignore the problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is here because some people object to schools interfering in the "natural order of things" where the biggest meanest bullying thugs rule the playground and the hallways.

When I was I high school several decades ago bullying was pretty much ignored by the school authorities. The first time I was hit by a bully I complained to the Vice Principal. He said he could do nothing about it because there were too many places to cover. I told him if that was the way it was I would solve my own problems. The next tome this kid and his friend tried to hit me I broke his knee and several ribs and his buddy wore a jock strap for a couple weeks. When the VP started to yell at me I told him he had said to handle it my way. What I did was my way. BTW - they never bothered me again.

If the school is not willing to keep the bullies from harming the kids, the kids need to take fighting lessons and damage the bullies enough that they dare not continue.
You at least talked to a VP first before acting. The VP chose to make excuses instead of doing his job. I don't think anyone can be critical of you under those circumstances. However, there are many schools these days that will take action.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,593,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Schoolyard fights are now called "bullying" ?

The article didn't say anything about him being bullied by the other boy.
Sounds like assault to me.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,044,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am not critical of you for defending yourself. It is sad that the principal and other administrators at your school chose to ignore the problem.
Thank you.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah - so if North Korea threatens us with a nuclear weapon and we say "we don't want to fight' we just sit back and let them obliterate the republic.
This is a student going to class who wants to be left alone..not someone responsible for protecting our country. I am polite by nature, but have to question the sanity of anyone who would make such a cruel remark at the expense of a dead child. Frankly sick. You should know better. Have you no decency, sir?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
This is a student going to class who wants to be left alone..not someone responsible for protecting our country. I am polite by nature, but have to question the sanity of anyone who would make such a cruel remark at the expense of a dead child. Frankly sick. You should know better. Have you no decency, sir?
I have oodles of decency - I blame the adults who encouraged this child to be docile.

It is a tragedy that he is dead - and it happened because of liberal "zero tolerance" policies.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
I am fine with you defending yourself, but you have no right to insult this dead child. He may have defended himself for all we know(?). To insult the dead child strikes me as indecent. We are better than that.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I am fine with you defending yourself, but you have no right to insult this dead child. He may have defended himself for all we know(?). To insult the dead child strikes me as indecent. We are better than that.
I insulted no one, except perhaps the liberal school administrators who facilitated this tragic death.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,593,554 times
Quote:
Some people are so dense.
His point (Harrier) is not that difficult to understand. Nor is it insulting to the young man who was murdered (ok manslaughter, it was not intentional but it doesn't change the fact these young thugs killed the young man and the young man was not taught or encouraged to learn to defend himself)

Life is not fair, people are sometimes put in the position of needing to defend themselves.
In our society it has become 'criminal' to act in self-defense. My children have been told to 'run away' if someone threatens them - wow, what a life lesson, when those who would oppress, threaten you, "run away".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or