Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would say there are a lot of facts that we don't know for sure. I think of some of the hits my boys took in hockey, broke bones and dislocations. A 12 year old doesn't hit hard enough to kill someone with their fists.
Initially after the attack, the school gave him an icepack and sent him back to class. Over the next few days he grew listless, drowsy, complained of not feeling well, and lost his appetite---signs of a concussion. And sure enough when he got medical care he was diagnosed with a concussion. So even though it may be hard for you to believe, it happened.

He had suffered enough brain damage that he was basically having non-stop seizures, and he was put into a medically-induced coma. At some some point he was brain-dead, and they took him off life support, and he died.

Last edited by ellemint; 03-12-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This is here because some people object to schools interfering in the "natural order of things" where the biggest meanest bullying thugs rule the playground and the hallways.

When I was I high school several decades ago bullying was pretty much ignored by the school authorities. The first time I was hit by a bully I complained to the Vice Principal. He said he could do nothing about it because there were too many places to cover. I told him if that was the way it was I would solve my own problems. The next tome this kid and his friend tried to hit me I broke his knee and several ribs and his buddy wore a jock strap for a couple weeks. When the VP started to yell at me I told him he had said to handle it my way. What I did was my way. BTW - they never bothered me again.

If the school is not willing to keep the bullies from harming the kids, the kids need to take fighting lessons and damage the bullies enough that they dare not continue.
Uh; the 1 thing I have a problem with is the schools LETTING: "This is here because some people object to schools interfering in the "natural order of things" where the biggest meanest bullying thugs rule the playground and the hallways." This ain't Haiti, this is the US where there are laws and rules and people are supposed to follow them or else.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; the 1 thing I have a problem with is the schools LETTING: "This is here because some people object to schools interfering in the "natural order of things" where the biggest meanest bullying thugs rule the playground and the hallways." This ain't Haiti, this is the US where there are laws and rules and people are supposed to follow them or else.
Exactly. If two people attack and assault another person without provocation, and the person dies of his injuries, the perpetrators are charged with first degree murder. Yet, when this happens in a school, the attackers get a two-day suspension.

Last edited by ellemint; 03-12-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Default methods

Not every 12 yr old is dumb enough to fight with their fists. Boots, clubs, stones, books and pencils can be very effective weapons. Some 12 year olds realize the point of a fight is not to dominate but to stop the fight by winning with any means available.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:48 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
I think there are a lot of facts missing from here. The boy may not have wanted to fight but was there still a reason why they may have wanted to attack him? Not saying its right or wrong, but there is a lot of missing facts.

I don't see anything that suggests it was even the two boys who may have bullied prior to this, but there was alleged bulling prior to the fight by somebody.

One kid pushed him down while the other did the rest of the work. One punch? Two? Kicks? What was done? Now these two punks are still crap. They teamed up. That's not a fair fight. But, for all I know, it was one punch to the nose.

What we do here is have another fine example of the "culture of violence". Its time to get it under control.

Bailey O'Neil, you will be in thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not every 12 yr old is dumb enough to fight with their fists. Boots, clubs, stones, books and pencils can be very effective weapons. Some 12 year olds realize the point of a fight is not to dominate but to stop the fight by winning with any means available.
lol I think you need to get over whatever happened to you in elementary school.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I think there are a lot of facts missing from here. The boy may not have wanted to fight but was there still a reason why they may have wanted to attack him? Not saying its right or wrong, but there is a lot of missing facts.

I don't see anything that suggests it was even the two boys who may have bullied prior to this, but there was alleged bulling prior to the fight by somebody.

One kid pushed him down while the other did the rest of the work. One punch? Two? Kicks? What was done? Now these two punks are still crap. They teamed up. That's not a fair fight. But, for all I know, it was one punch to the nose.

What we do here is have another fine example of the "culture of violence". Its time to get it under control.

Bailey O'Neil, you will be in thoughts and prayers.
There is no justifiable reason for attacking him. Lets say they were taunting each other, let's say they had a grudge, let's say they didn't like him----IT DOESN'T MATTER. There is nothing he could have done to them to JUSTIFY being physically attacked by two thugs.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Exactly. If two people attack and assault another person without provocation, and the person dies of his injuries, the perpetrators charged with first degree murder. Yet, when this happens in a school, the attackers get a two-day suspension.
We don't charge even adults with 1st degree murder if someone dies from a garden variety assault. These boys had no intention to kill him, at best this was a freak accident.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Are you all saying that this young boy deserved to die, just because he didn't use a book or pencil to defend himself? He was jumped, and cold-clocked from what I can understand. His nose was broken, and he suffered a concussion. I don't think he even had a chance to defend himself.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Exactly. If two people attack and assault another person without provocation, and the person dies of his injuries, the perpetrators charged with first degree murder. Yet, when this happens in a school, the attackers get a two-day suspension.
First degree murder is intent to kill.

A schoolyard fight with 12 year olds and you call "first degree murder" ?

Accidents happen. He died from head trauma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies