U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,988,116 times
Reputation: 4547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
A "fight" is defined as a physical altercation between two or more individuals. It WAS a fight. Fighting also has nothing to do with choice as you say, do you think fights always occur when two people say "let's fight" and they go outside and start punching each other, like in movies? No. Things normally escalate from a verbal exchange to physical violence. It's not exactly a choice on the part of both parties.

I'm not refusing to acknowledge anything, I am going off the facts you presented. I'm not going to repeat myself again on that part of it if you choose not to read my posts.

I do believe bullying exists, but not to the extent that liberals would have us believe. Bullying and getting picked on is also part of growing up. Anybody over the age of probably 20 knows that. The zero tolerance crap is part of why people want to call anything and everything bullying nowadays. Once people get beyond high school and perhaps college, there is no kind of policy that stops people from being mean to one another. Toughen up and take it as a kid so you know how to handle it as an adult. Not to mention, once someone does something mean to you, you are less likely to do it to someone else if you have any kind of empathy at all.
There are LOTS of laws and policies in place to prevent people from being mean to each other. If you pick a physical fight with someone, and they fight back to defend themselves, you can be charged with assault and battery. That is because fighting back to defend themselves is not considered "consent." If you even verbally threaten another person with harm, you can face assault charges. That's in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
 
Location: California
11,436 posts, read 17,162,624 times
Reputation: 12500
That's a fight that lead to death, call it murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
 
6,333 posts, read 6,688,240 times
Reputation: 5911
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you guys not understand how people get sick? Pneumonia is caused by bacteria or a virus, not just b/c you're sitting around or b/c your respiration is irregular. He was apparently sent to the hospital once and then went back home, and then was hospitalized again after having seizures. How do we know he didn't get pneumonia from someone while he was back home and THAT is what ultimately caused his death? That would be totally unrelated to the fight.

You will find any excuse to make this murder 1 for a couple of middle school kids in a schoolyard fight. Forget the facts and even the fact that we don't have a lot of facts, just make them up as you go to make this look as bad as possible. I suppose that's the typical liberal way anyway.
Seriously? Do you even understand the causes of the various types of pneumonia? Such as aspiration pneumonia or as I suspect in this case hypostatic pneumonia ( usually due to build up of fluid in the lungs that can happen do immobility).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 PM
 
9,538 posts, read 4,877,247 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
A "fight" is defined as a physical altercation between two or more individuals. It WAS a fight. Fighting also has nothing to do with choice as you say, do you think fights always occur when two people say "let's fight" and they go outside and start punching each other, like in movies? No. Things normally escalate from a verbal exchange to physical violence. It's not exactly a choice on the part of both parties.

I'm not refusing to acknowledge anything, I am going off the facts you presented. I'm not going to repeat myself again on that part of it if you choose not to read my posts.[snip]
Now you're the one playing with words. If what the boy told his family is true, this wasn't a fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,133,561 times
Reputation: 983
Seriously? I'm so tired of going over this and all the semantics. We can all agree what happened shouldn't have happened. Was it bullying? Maybe. Did the "altercation" lead to the boy's death? Possibly. We do not have all the facts and cannot assume anything on either side. But the hyperbole of calling everything bullying has to stop. It's like the boy who cried wolf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 PM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,549,245 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm feeling the need to personally attack you for how dense you're being, so just suffice it to say I am not going to repeat myself again, so listen closely: I am not saying they shouldn't be charged, I'm not saying they shouldn't have consequences, I'm not saying the kid deserved it or that I don't feel bad this happened to him and for what his family is now going through. What I'm saying is you don't need to peg everything as bullying and you need to stop with the hyperbole b/c it undermines your cause and your credibility.

The end.
Dunno what she's saying, but what I'm saying is that this is the result of a__holes teaching their kids that beating the crap out of others is somehow cool, somehow macho, somehow makes someone brave. It doesn't. It just makes the kid another a__hole just like his a__hole father. Bullying needs to be stopped. Bullying needs to be addressed, and the lack of adequate parental supervision that creates these bully-monsters needs to have serious repercussions for whichever parent taught the kid/kids that sh_t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,086,672 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Dunno what she's saying, but what I'm saying is that this is the result of a__holes teaching their kids that beating the crap out of others is somehow cool, somehow macho, somehow makes someone brave. It doesn't. It just makes the kid another a__hole just like his a__hole father. Bullying needs to be stopped. Bullying needs to be addressed, and the lack of adequate parental supervision that creates these bully-monsters needs to have serious repercussions for whichever parent taught the kid/kids that sh_t.
I agree. But, I have no issue with teaching my son how to defend himself from a bully or an aggressor. He knows that if he starts it he'll deal with me. However, he won't stand there and be somebody's punching bag. Nobody should have to take being assaulted. EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,988,116 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree. But, I have no issue with teaching my son how to defend himself from a bully or an aggressor. He knows that if he starts it he'll deal with me. However, he won't stand there and be somebody's punching bag. Nobody should have to take being assaulted. EVER!
I see your point. But a kid should also have the right to walk away from a fight, and not be assaulted as a result (as Bailey was.) And parents and schools should also support and protect the child who does not want to fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,086,672 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I see your point. But a kid should also have the right to walk away from a fight, and not be assaulted as a result (as Bailey was.) And parents and schools should also support and protect the child who does not want to fight.
Of course you should take the high road. However, that goes out the window when the other person chooses to put their hands on me. Nothing wrong with being prepared. Bad people do bad things. At least try to avoid being a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,549,245 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree. But, I have no issue with teaching my son how to defend himself from a bully or an aggressor. He knows that if he starts it he'll deal with me. However, he won't stand there and be somebody's punching bag. Nobody should have to take being assaulted. EVER!
In theory that sounds so good, but it doesn't solve the problem which is so clear from the posts of a few males in here who seem to think that kids beating one another up is just, well, "KID STUFF." It's some f'g Rambo style of child rearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top