Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
So from these two posts one can assume you're "Republican, Teabagger, or other such right wing trash" to use a generalization I've seen used once or twice.

Bullying is an attention seeking behavior, if said bully is observing your behavior to them is different than your behavior to others, and it's clearly negative ("Never got much goodness from me"), then you are part of the problem, and are "hurting the powerless", because while that bully might be King/Queen ***** in the schoolyard, they're certainly not in the classroom.

Violence is not solely physical, seems you might like to consider that; using your criteria, you fall into the category of the thing you appear to despise. There's a name for that.
I was the queen of detention when I taught. If someone was a bully, they spent a lot of time in detention. Hitting is simply not acceptable for anyone.

I wish you'd stop feeling sorry for bullies. It sounds like the whole typical Republican thing about feeling sorry for and defending the rich and powerful, while trashing the weak and powerless. Bullies and their parents have to get their act together. Violence cannot be tolerated, and should not be rewarded. If bullies need counseling, fine, but get them out of school to do it, so those who end up suffering at their hands, don't have to suffer their punishments and bullying. If bullies miss school and have to repeat, so be it.

Also, as a teacher I can identify a bully. You don't have to teach me what a bully is. Teachers know. They see the kids daily. It's not hard to figure out, though bullies love to pretend they're so innocent when the teacher is around. That never worked around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're calling it as you want it to be --- boys and their rw, rich, powerful fathers are responsible for bullying. Putting aside your ideological extremism, anyone who knows about bullying knows that girls are many of the bullied and bullies.

In fact, if you take feminist shrinkology about domestic violence --- name-calling, verbal taunts, isolating victims, non-physical 'violence' can be worse than physical violence --- typical girl bullying can have longer negative effects than typical boy bullying.
You seem to think I don't know what bullying is. lol

I was a teacher. Trust me on this, I know what bullying is, and can identify them. Bullies are generally quite good at coming across as if they were innocent, even to the point of volunteering to do things for the teacher, attempting to befriend the teacher, etc. Bullies aren't dumb. They're just bullies. And every teacher can pick out the victims of others. It's not hard at all and doesn't take an Einstein. Within a week of my first class I had already seen the things kids wanted me to see, and those they tried to hide from me.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I 1st thought that blaming zero tolerance policies was wrong, a conservative way to bring political views into a non-political story. I didn't think a 12 year-old would have school policies in mind while being threatened by another student. Then I saw the victim's parents' quotes about their child being afraid of getting into trouble or being suspended if he fought back. Getting into trouble for protecting oneself ? Something very cockeyed about that.
I think the child was a victim. There are kids who are "different." Other kids pick on them. This kid was one of them and it appears the parents and teachers did little to defend him.

I actually brought in the parents of bullies and had a little talk with them. Parents, of course, never accept that their mean kid is a bully. However, the fact that the teacher acknowledges bullying in the child does put the fear of God in them. I actually sat there with parents while their bully-kid denied everything I said, but I kept my own log of behavior, and rattled off dates, times and misbehavior. Bullies are often "popular" because other kids are afraid of them, and the bullies thrive on this. If you hamper their style by attacking their bullying behavior, they often get pretty down about it. Their social life based on bullying is suddenly stripped from them, and they don't quite know how to have any other sort of social life.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
I was playing football at recess with a bunch of kids when I was 10 yrs old and I blocked a kid in the chest and the kid went down and they had to call an ambulance. I later found out that he had a heart condition. Scared the crap out of me.

Accidents do happen. Mine was an accident. I never intended to hurt the other boy. In this case, the boy intended to hurt the other boy. He should be charged as a minor and do a few days in juvenile jail, community service, and be forced to talk to other students at other schools about the possible consequences of bullying.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I was playing football at recess with a bunch of kids when I was 10 yrs old and I blocked a kid in the chest and the kid went down and they had to call an ambulance. I later found out that he had a heart condition. Scared the crap out of me.

Accidents do happen. Mine was an accident. I never intended to hurt the other boy. In this case, the boy intended to hurt the other boy. He should be charged as a minor and do a few days in juvenile jail, community service, and be forced to talk to other students at other schools about the possible consequences of bullying.
I had an accident too. I was playing with a ruler in school and it backwards, accidentally hitting a girl in the eye. Oh my gosh, big comotion and screaming. She was taken to the nurse, then the parents arrived to take her to the hospital, etc. etc. She was fine and back at school in two days (with her eye intact), but she hated me from that day on.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Since he was beaten, and sustained a head injury that eventually lead to his death, then he was indeed beaten to death in my opinion.

Some of you are acting like there was no medical diagnosis. After the fight he began to show signs of head injury. He began to feel ill, lost his appetite, and was drowsy. His parents did take him to the doctor. And he was diagnosed with a concussion (and a broken nose.) Those facts are not in dispute. I mean, it's not that hard. It's cause and effect.

ATTACK===>broken nose & concussion===>worsening of condition===> DEATH
Ellemint, you are absolutely correct. Those that disagree would be singing a different tune if it happened to their child!!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm feeling the need to personally attack you for how dense you're being, so just suffice it to say I am not going to repeat myself again, so listen closely: I am not saying they shouldn't be charged, I'm not saying they shouldn't have consequences, I'm not saying the kid deserved it or that I don't feel bad this happened to him and for what his family is now going through. What I'm saying is you don't need to peg everything as bullying and you need to stop with the hyperbole b/c it undermines your cause and your credibility.

The end.
OK, if it is not bullying, can you at least call it WRONG?! Furthermore, the silly name calling ('dense") does not speak volumes for you as an adult. No one is intimidated by that, so get over it. It is inexcusable this happened and is definitely NOT dense to be concerned about it.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Two black boys beat up a white boy and he dies . Now were is Al Sharpton? Oh , that is right if it was reverse Al would be marching and it would be a racist crime.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Actually, common sense tells me that them being black is irrelevant.
Of course it is irrelevant, but if the assailants had been white, and the victim was black, the left wing media would have covered the story like maggots on a corpse, and must certainly wouldn't have considered it "irrelevant".

Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,834,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
He didn't want to fight. The two buys attacked him (and ultimately killed him.) How is that NOT bullying?

His parents said he had been the target of bullying.

Family and friends mourn Bailey O'Neill at funeral - Philly.com

bullying? no it is battery or manslaughter not bullying.... why sugar coat it for kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies