U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,686,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Of course, no one anticipates these tragic outcomes - but, trust me, once they happen - the legal ball will start rolling.
Nothing will happen to these boys legally, my prediction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM

7,315 posts, read 5,517,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Good for you That happens all the time. The victim is treated as harshly as the bully.

There is a scene in the documentary "Bully" in which the principal forces two kids who had been fighting to shake hands. The bully gladly extends his hand, and his victim doesn't want to shake it, because he knows it's just a show for the teacher's benefit. She lets the bully go, and stops to admonish and lecture the victim, who is now in tears, about how harsh he is being on the bully.
That's horrible - it solves nothing to go through a false handshaking exercise.

Back when I was teaching in middle school, I made it a point to be very aware of who the bullies were. They were always the same kids, doing the same crap. Not a lot that can be done except keep writing up the bullies and get them in every sort of trouble you could get them into, so if they ever get in serious trouble, there will be documentation to get them into deeper doodoo.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,622,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
He didn't want to fight. The two buys attacked him (and ultimately killed him.) How is that NOT bullying?
It just isn't. Bullying is a pattern of harassment. It isn't a single fistfight. That's manslaughter, not bullying. It may have been part of a bullying campaign, but the information given doesn't show that. The description of the one fight doesn't indicate bullying, it just indicates a schoolyard fight gone horribly wrong.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,290,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It just isn't. Bullying is a pattern of harassment. It isn't a single fistfight. That's manslaughter, not bullying. It may have been part of a bullying campaign, but the information given doesn't show that. The description of the one fight doesn't indicate bullying, it just indicates a schoolyard fight gone horribly wrong.
But the bullying teaching going on takes into account any action of aggression, even name calling just once.

I posted a link to the FedGov site on bullying which is what's being taught to kids in school.
"Any act of aggression" is bullying now and it does not have to occur more than once.

Now it can happen only once and be called bullying because there is the "potential" for it to occur again.

Here..DOE, HHS, CDC and DOJ put this website together
Bullying Definition | StopBullying.gov

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You're playing Semantics. The kid was bullied. It led to him being beaten to a point at which he sustained injuries that eventually took his life.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the bullying teaching going on takes into account any action of aggression, even name calling just once.

I posted a link to the FedGov site on bullying which is what's being taught to kids in school.
"Any act of aggression" is bullying now and it does not have to occur more than once.

Now it can happen only once and be called bullying because there is the "potential" for it to occur again.

Here..DOE, HHS, CDC and DOJ put this website together
Bullying Definition | StopBullying.gov
ZERO bullying should be allowed. ZERO. Aggression has no place in schools or anywhere.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 AM

22,562 posts, read 16,711,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That's horrible - it solves nothing to go through a false handshaking exercise.

Back when I was teaching in middle school, I made it a point to be very aware of who the bullies were. They were always the same kids, doing the same crap. Not a lot that can be done except keep writing up the bullies and get them in every sort of trouble you could get them into, so if they ever get in serious trouble, there will be documentation to get them into deeper doodoo.
Wow. A write up. How scary. No wonder we have more of these stories coming out these days. Bring back the paddle.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,290,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
ZERO bullying should be allowed. ZERO. Aggression has no place in schools or anywhere.
It's called zero tolerance and has been in the schools for some time.

But you cannot be everywhere at all times to make sure it doesn't happen.
One teacher per 25 or more students. Impossible to watch each of them at all times.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM

9,342 posts, read 9,476,967 times
That's called Assault, and its a felony.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,756,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
How do you know that?

What if, just saying, what if they were teasing him. Not touching, but just in in path. Teasing. What if, the boy just got upset enough and swung at them first? What if? There are a lot of what ifs.

Although I doubt this is the case, and I believe its was just two thugs who embrace this culture of violence, I am able to keep a open mind. I'm not blaming the victim at all, but I am not blaming two people yet of murder or manslaughter because they deserve to tell their side. We don't know.
Well, show me where that was reported.
What if's are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or