Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,169,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have oodles of decency - I blame the adults who encouraged this child to be docile.

It is a tragedy that he is dead - and it happened because of liberal "zero tolerance" policies.
I am sorry I misunderstood your earlier post. Now that you added explanation, I get what you are saying. I am sure you are decent. (For some reason, I did not follow my own 30 second rule for myself before responding with a disagreement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This forum is called "Politics and Other Controversies." That means it is not solely about politics, but anything that one might find controversial and worthy of discussion.
I agree - yet it seems that people who dare to suggest that the zero tolerance policies and discouragement of self defense may have contributed to the boy's death are deemed "insensitive" by you and certain others.

If you just want an echo chamber - then put this is another forum - otherwise don't cry when you intentionally place a thread in P&OC.

You don't throw meat into a tiger cage and expect the cats to ignore it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,090,002 times
Quote:
Oddly enough, on today's news, one of Bailey's classmates, who had been an alter server at his funeral, was just involved in an incident supposedly related to bullying. The mother incited her daughter to fight the girl who was bullying her, and now the Mom and daughter are in jail. (!) There's a video here (which I have not watched.)

Clifton Heights mom incited daughter to fight, police say | 6abc.com
I'm sure this has already been said, but that is a TOTALLY different scenario.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,623,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm sure this has already been said, but that is a TOTALLY different scenario.
How so?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Society will never be free of murderers, DUI drivers, embezzlers, or bank and convenience store robbers either. Does that mean we just make snide comments and not try to do something about them to reduce their occurrence!? This is not a liberal/conservative issue. Almost all people (except a few like you apparently) are concerned about it. We need to work together to improve the situation.
No, I just don't want the term to be thrown around as loosely as it is today, and yes, liberals DO have something to do with that. If someone hurts your feelings nowadays, it's now called bullying. Someone yells at you once, that's bullying.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
If this had been your son, would you still think that it was "just boys being boys?"
Probably. I also would have taken my son to the ER right after it happened, not wait a week or two to do so. Hits to the head have to be taken seriously. And we still have no evidence that there was some kind of bullying pattern that led to this. I will be teaching both my kids to fight back anyway, so maybe they would be better off than this kid. My kids also will not be in public school so the chances of this happening drop considerably.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
How so?
If two kids are not even arguing or wanting to fight, why encourage it? The mother is totally at fault for this one. There was another incidence of this with one of the mothers of a girl on Teen Mom (or maybe it was 16 & Pregnant). The mother encouraging it and basically setting it up so they could fight in her yard. That's not the same as a schoolyard fight when kids just happen to start fighting.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,755,902 times
Very sad,poor boy

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,623,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Probably. I also would have taken my son to the ER right after it happened, not wait a week or two to do so. Hits to the head have to be taken seriously. And we still have no evidence that there was some kind of bullying pattern that led to this. I will be teaching both my kids to fight back anyway, so maybe they would be better off than this kid. My kids also will not be in public school so the chances of this happening drop considerably.
So in Bailey's case, if it is determined that the boys who attacked him caused the brain damage that killed him, you would just let them off with no repercussions?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,546,330 times
Quote:
So in Bailey's case, if it is determined that the boys who attacked him caused the brain damage that killed him, you would just let them off with no repercussions?
Because this was a white kid attacked and killed by black kids, the kids who killed him were just given a short school suspension and that's the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies