Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I've got an even better idea than trying to cut our out of control spending, let's speed it up! I wonder if we can be just like the Roman empire! I mean it worked out great for them, in the end, right?
The only entity that has kept healthcare charges down in Medicare. Want to speed up that out of control train, abolish Medicare.

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2136864,00.html#ixzz2NMMCTKhl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
I bet if Paul Ryan did not get a very good insurance coverage for life, because he was in congress, and had to rely on Medicare himself, he wouldn't propose this.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Well there you go again. Had you looked even a moment you would see that those are not my statements at all. Those come from the article i started the thread about and pasted the link for it.
I have insulted no one.
I didn't go anywhere again. I responded to the content of the post and "you" would refer to whoever wrote the words in the post, not you as an individual.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
This is only his plan A. Plan B is a bullet to the brain the day after you "retire" or they retire you when you can't chew the leather anymore.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I bet if Paul Ryan did not get a very good insurance coverage for life, because he was in congress, and had to rely on Medicare himself, he wouldn't propose this.
He probably still would. He doesn't look that far ahead.

I hope the IDIOTS from Wisconsin vote him out next term.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The only entity that has kept healthcare charges down in Medicare. Want to speed up that out of control train, abolish Medicare.

Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2136864,00.html#ixzz2NMMCTKhl
I've read that article before. It doesn't really make a point about keeping medicare. What it does is make an argument that medicare is keeping a broken system from running completely out of control. That doesn't mean medicare is a good thing or a necessary thing. If I am wearing a cast on a broken arm, then the cast is no longer necessary once the arm has healed. Medicare is the same thing. Once the system is reformed then medicare in its current form is no longer needed. If medicare is a good thing in and of itself then argument has to be made for it on its own, not in relation to a system that everyone agrees is broken.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
: smack:

Paul Ryan is Right! His Budget is Not a Surprise | CJOnline.com

-Paul Ryan wants to squeeze 30 years of brutal cuts into only a decade.

Paul Ryan said there are no surprises in his budget. He's right.

But, just because we are not surprised does not mean his budget is not horrifying and surprising. And there are those who are far enough to the right in what they're willing to hear will, yes, be surprised about this.

Especially if they are or will soon be on Medicare and Social Security and are convinced the Republicans have their best interests at heart.

Be ready to be shocked. According to reports I am hearing:

--Paul Ryan's budget calls for ending Medicare as we know it for America’s seniors.

--Paul Ryan’s budget includes a plan to VOUCHERIZE Medicare for seniors younger than 55.

--Paul Ryan wants to squeeze 30 years of brutal cuts into only a decade.

Seniors, or people who will be seniors in the near future, are you aware of what it means to "voucherize" Medicare?

It means that you will have to go out on the insurance market and try to find an insurance that will accept you and give you a reasonable cost. It will be up to you to do that.

Now, we all know that one of the worst problems in America that we have ever had with healthcare is the unfair and quite confusing and frightening task of finding, paying for, and dealing with health insurance companies. Their managers get filthy rich while we struggle with them every step of the way to get our money's worth out of the insurance, and every single year they increase their cost exponentially.

I know. I've been there - when I had to find insurance for someone who is unable to work, unable to get on Disability, and unable to buy health insurance. I paid for her and her family's insurance for ten years. Every single year the insurance premium went up $50 a month. That's "a month" - not a year. The increase per year was $600 and every year it happened. One young woman who never had medical problems, and her one healthy child was costing me an arm and a leg. The child was finally accepted for Medicaid, but the mother now has no insurance at all.

Seniors, Paul Ryan would dump you onto that system, and you would have no recourse but to do your best to deal with it, or do without medical care - just as the woman I help. Home remedies don't always work well even when you're basically healthy.

Finally, we have heard the Medicare system vilified from the right for years, as if it is the worst alternative for a healthcare system.

And yet, the Medicare system works far, far better than the open market for insurance for the reasons I've just described to you.

My husband has been on Medicare for twelve years. Not once has he had a single problem in getting a doctor to see him, and in having Medicare pay the bills they owed.

Another significant thing to remember, seniors, is that in the years when Social Security income is not increased due to the cost of living not going up in such a way that it would trigger an increase in Social Security - Medicare premiums for Social Security recipients also cannot go up.

In other words, Medicare premiums can only go up as much as your Social Security income goes up. No more. If that is zero, then you get no increase in Medicare premiums.

For seniors, for our mothers and fathers, our grandmothers and grandfathers, this is humane.

When my mother was 84, if she had been forced to deal with insurance companies to buy a policy, and then pay the exorbitant insurance fees, which would go extremely higher each year, even when her Social Security did not increase to cover the cost, she would have had to drop her insurance. I would have had to pay for it.

Seniors, do you want your children to have to cover exorbitant health insurance costs when you can't pay them?

Or can you see why it is best to keep our Medicare system the way it is - a security net for seniors who literally can't deal with insurance companies, financially or emotionally or mentally or even physically in some cases.

Can we have some commonsense from Paul Ryan for a change?

Paul Ryan is a spoiled kid, trying to act tough on seniors, because HE has never struggled in their shoes.

Reject Paul Ryan's budget for your own sake and for the sake of others.

It doesn't matter what party you belong to. This is vitally important for seniors and for families of seniors, and just for people who care. Libertarian? Independent? Republican? Unaffiliated? Who cares? This is a bi-partisan issue. Please go here if you care and reject Paul Ryan's budget. It won't mean you can't vote Republican. It just means you're communicating a concern.

Democrats.org | Reject Paul Ryan's budget

If you don't want to use a Democratic site, then call or email your Republican representatives and relay your concern about this critical issue.
Irrational, knee jerk hyperbole aside, if not now, when?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
: smack:

Paul Ryan is Right! His Budget is Not a Surprise | CJOnline.com

-Paul Ryan wants to squeeze 30 years of brutal cuts into only a decade.

Paul Ryan said there are no surprises in his budget. He's right.

But, just because we are not surprised does not mean his budget is not horrifying and surprising. And there are those who are far enough to the right in what they're willing to hear will, yes, be surprised about this.

Especially if they are or will soon be on Medicare and Social Security and are convinced the Republicans have their best interests at heart.

Be ready to be shocked. According to reports I am hearing:

--Paul Ryan's budget calls for ending Medicare as we know it for America’s seniors.

--Paul Ryan’s budget includes a plan to VOUCHERIZE Medicare for seniors younger than 55.

--Paul Ryan wants to squeeze 30 years of brutal cuts into only a decade.

Seniors, or people who will be seniors in the near future, are you aware of what it means to "voucherize" Medicare?

It means that you will have to go out on the insurance market and try to find an insurance that will accept you and give you a reasonable cost. It will be up to you to do that.

Now, we all know that one of the worst problems in America that we have ever had with healthcare is the unfair and quite confusing and frightening task of finding, paying for, and dealing with health insurance companies. Their managers get filthy rich while we struggle with them every step of the way to get our money's worth out of the insurance, and every single year they increase their cost exponentially.

I know. I've been there - when I had to find insurance for someone who is unable to work, unable to get on Disability, and unable to buy health insurance. I paid for her and her family's insurance for ten years. Every single year the insurance premium went up $50 a month. That's "a month" - not a year. The increase per year was $600 and every year it happened. One young woman who never had medical problems, and her one healthy child was costing me an arm and a leg. The child was finally accepted for Medicaid, but the mother now has no insurance at all.

Seniors, Paul Ryan would dump you onto that system, and you would have no recourse but to do your best to deal with it, or do without medical care - just as the woman I help. Home remedies don't always work well even when you're basically healthy.

Finally, we have heard the Medicare system vilified from the right for years, as if it is the worst alternative for a healthcare system.

And yet, the Medicare system works far, far better than the open market for insurance for the reasons I've just described to you.

My husband has been on Medicare for twelve years. Not once has he had a single problem in getting a doctor to see him, and in having Medicare pay the bills they owed.

Another significant thing to remember, seniors, is that in the years when Social Security income is not increased due to the cost of living not going up in such a way that it would trigger an increase in Social Security - Medicare premiums for Social Security recipients also cannot go up.

In other words, Medicare premiums can only go up as much as your Social Security income goes up. No more. If that is zero, then you get no increase in Medicare premiums.

For seniors, for our mothers and fathers, our grandmothers and grandfathers, this is humane.

When my mother was 84, if she had been forced to deal with insurance companies to buy a policy, and then pay the exorbitant insurance fees, which would go extremely higher each year, even when her Social Security did not increase to cover the cost, she would have had to drop her insurance. I would have had to pay for it.

Seniors, do you want your children to have to cover exorbitant health insurance costs when you can't pay them?

Or can you see why it is best to keep our Medicare system the way it is - a security net for seniors who literally can't deal with insurance companies, financially or emotionally or mentally or even physically in some cases.

Can we have some commonsense from Paul Ryan for a change?

Paul Ryan is a spoiled kid, trying to act tough on seniors, because HE has never struggled in their shoes.

Reject Paul Ryan's budget for your own sake and for the sake of others.

It doesn't matter what party you belong to. This is vitally important for seniors and for families of seniors, and just for people who care. Libertarian? Independent? Republican? Unaffiliated? Who cares? This is a bi-partisan issue. Please go here if you care and reject Paul Ryan's budget. It won't mean you can't vote Republican. It just means you're communicating a concern.

Democrats.org | Reject Paul Ryan's budget

If you don't want to use a Democratic site, then call or email your Republican representatives and relay your concern about this critical issue.
Yep, it's pretty much science fiction, well, without the science.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
So far the only supporters of the Ryan budget I see on this thread are, I believe, middle-aged white men. Waiting patiently for senior citizens currently on Medicare to chime in about the wonderful world of vouchers ...

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
In negotiation, this budget is an "opening position".
Ryan knows it isn't going anywhere, it just states the furthest boundary the Republicans are willing to accept.
Tomorrow the Senate will unveil their budget, also full of stuff they know won't go anywhere...

Then the games begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies