Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times

Advertisements

Sam Walton worked hard to find discount items made in America to sell in his store, at a time when production was moving to China. He was a patriotic businessman who agreed with the idea that it's good to support your own people.

What cultural event shifted the culture of the job creators from being patriotic like Sam Walton, to being loyal primarily to money, like his descendants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Simple answer

Sam Walton died and his heirs, under the guidance of financial consultants, got greedy and went for short term profits without any care for their society of country.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Profit, but also due to it's business objective to provide low cost shopping to those who are not "made of money". Face it, if it's made in America - most of the lower class people can't afford it.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Sam Walton worked hard to find discount items made in America to sell in his store, at a time when production was moving to China. He was a patriotic businessman who agreed with the idea that it's good to support your own people.

What cultural event shifted the culture of the job creators from being patriotic like Sam Walton, to being loyal primarily to money, like his descendants?
Simple. Sam died.

I recall how Wal-Mart used to advertise on the Paul Harvey broadcast, and how Paul would talk of how everything in a Wal-Mart was "Made with Pride in America".

A year or two after Sam Walton died, the ads changed: Paul talked (as he did for years thereafter) of how helpful Wal-Mart 'associates' were to customers.

As to the cultural question: I guess it was opening our trade to China, and China willing to make everything under the Sun cheaper than could be found in America (such as steel: they managed to drive most US steel makers out of business). I guess that the various corporations could not withstand the temptation to buy from China (which became legal). If the trade barriers had fallen earlier, then I guess the culture would have changed earlier.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Cheap.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Profit, but also due to it's business objective to provide low cost shopping to those who are not "made of money". Face it, if it's made in America - most of the lower class people can't afford it.
The lower class could afford it, they just have to have less stuff and not be driven by consumerism.

Quality>Quantity.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
The lower class could afford it, they just have to have less stuff and not be driven by consumerism.

Quality>Quantity.
I agree. But how can this be enforced? We could all use less stuff (I'm in the process of downsizing my stuff as well). This idea is also present in nearly every sector of our society. It is sickening.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I agree. But how can this be enforced? We could all use less stuff (I'm in the process of downsizing my stuff as well). This idea is also present in nearly every sector of our society. It is sickening.
Shouldn't be enforced, but rather taught by the parents. It's important to support the local economies.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't be enforced, but rather taught by the parents. It's important to support the local economies.
Being taught by the parents is good, but it's effects won't be felt for at least a generation.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Being taught by the parents is good, but it's effects won't be felt for at least a generation.
Best time to start is ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies