Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I don't consider Budapest or Prague to be "eastern" europe. More like "central" europe. You'll notice right away when you step in those cities. Prague especially is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and a very romantic spot to spend with a woman.

Istanbul is an entirely different animal altogether, it's sort of the cross roads of the Balkans, middle east, and mediterranean. Lots of history there.

"Eastern" Europe to me is places like Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, maybe Romania. Other than Russia, it's not very interesting to see unless you're there to visit family,friends, or your roots. Though by the "and then" I think you mean to separate those cities from eastern europe.

And of course Russia ceases to be "europe" very fast. One of my dreams was to the trans-Siberian across that country but it's impossible now (for me). If I were to travel to Russia with my wife, that's what I would do. Gradually watching as you go from Europe to Asia, two entirely different worlds and outlooks.
Point taken on Eastern Europe--I unfortunately haven't been east of Berlin or Vienna, so exploring east of those sites is on my bucket list. My husband has Czech heritage so Prague plus a trip to the Ostrava area (where his family came from) are priorities. We're talking about taking the Trans-Siberian railway across the continents, with lots of stops along the way, when we have the time (when kids are all out of the house) to spend a big chunk of time just wandering. If you have tips I'd love to hear them...we haven't done much serious research yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

OK...I just like the whole joi di vivre of Europe. Even in uptight Germany people live life better or live for living. In the US its too much about mere survival and too brutal winner-take-all/he who dies with the most toys wins.
Yes, I believe Europeans enjoy a superior quality of life to modern Americans. Euro countries do much better on happiness studies. Americans have been conditioned to worship money, material things, careers, and their own kids only... and sometimes Jesus Christ. There is also a thick wave on the Right that denies countless universally-accepted truths.

No doubt, Spaniards are happier at 25% unemployment than Americans are at 7.7%.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Point taken on Eastern Europe--I unfortunately haven't been east of Berlin or Vienna, so exploring east of those sites is on my bucket list. My husband has Czech heritage so Prague plus a trip to the Ostrava area (where his family came from) are priorities. We're talking about taking the Trans-Siberian railway across the continents, with lots of stops along the way, when we have the time (when kids are all out of the house) to spend a big chunk of time just wandering. If you have tips I'd love to hear them...we haven't done much serious research yet.
I never taken it, so I don't have much I can relay.

It takes around 2 weeks if you were to just do it straight. I'd suggest parting slightly and going to Beijing instead of the usual Vladivostok. Then you can fly to Japan and then back to the USA. You would have transversed the world.

In the winter there are frequent delays. Basically the tracks have to be dug out from the snow. I have taken trains in Russia before in the winter and it can be maddening if you're used to American standards of customer service. Basically if things break down they make no effort to accommodate you, but then a trip like this is one you take where time is not an issue. There are so many moments in life where time matters, it's sometimes nice when it doesn't matter at all.

Make sure to see Lake Baikal. The railway passes to the south of it, but I'd stop and spend a couple days here and hop back on. To the south of Baikal is Mongolia and the Gobi desert.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
I live in Europe and dread moving back to the US.
I love the diversity, the standard of living, the ease of travel.
It suits me much better than the US does.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Europe is great to visit, I would never live there. My friends and family who lived there for years were happy to come home to the US. The US women really did not find the European men to be good relationship material. The people are nice to talk with and have a drink but wouldn't want to live with them. Some of you seem to be naively romanticizing Europe and Europeans. It is rapidly changing over there, Paris isn't what it was even five or ten years ago.
I haven't seen anyone romanticizing Europe--just pointing out that it's not the hotbed of radical politics that some here seem to think it is. I think it's natural for most people to want to return "home" at some point, no matter where they're from. It's also perfectly normal to admire beautiful places that are different than home. That said, I love to travel, and the differences in culture are what make it interesting and fun. We have amazing things to see in this country and Europe has equally amazing but different things. They romanticize us as well. We've taken numerous visitors to stay up at a family member's ranch in northwest Nebraska, and if you want to see a happy, enthusiastic bunch of foreign travelers, buy them a Stetson, put them on a horse on a trail, and then take them out to a local bar where they can two step and talk to cowboys. It's a lot of fun.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Bella Italia..One of the few places in my life I hated to leave. Can't wait to go back!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Seriously, what do Americans think of the great continent of Europe filled with old historic cities and of course Britain the ''motherland''

post your thoughts
My view of the UK in particular: what's up with the complete punctuation failure? Do people not go to school, anymore?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I never taken it, so I don't have much I can relay.

It takes around 2 weeks if you were to just do it straight. I'd suggest parting slightly and going to Beijing instead of the usual Vladivostok. Then you can fly to Japan and then back to the USA. You would have transversed the world.

In the winter there are frequent delays. Basically the tracks have to be dug out from the snow. I have taken trains in Russia before in the winter and it can be maddening if you're used to American standards of customer service. Basically if things break down they make no effort to accommodate you, but then a trip like this is one you take where time is not an issue. There are so many moments in life where time matters, it's sometimes nice when it doesn't matter at all.

Make sure to see Lake Baikal. The railway passes to the south of it, but I'd stop and spend a couple days here and hop back on. To the south of Baikal is Mongolia and the Gobi desert.
Thanks for the advice! We'd do a spring or summer trip so we could see more and it would be easier to get around. It sounds wonderful and Beijing is a great suggestion.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I dont really give a crap about the rest of europe. wish foreigners would stay out of american politics too.

This is the reason most foreigners hate us. We feel the need to rule the world, so sure we are the greatest culture ever, but many of our loudest citizens don't give a fvck about other people and cultures, nor do they care to study world history. How lame.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 03-13-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM

19,631 posts, read 12,222,208 times
So is this a travel thread? I thought it was about politics/culture in this forum.

I don't understand why so many live in Europe, dislike the US but are moving back here. Would you not do anything to live where you love? I would not live in Europe and have seen and helped people struggle to come to US from Europe to make US their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies