U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 813,854 times
Reputation: 433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? My gay/Black brother and friends would certainly say otherwise... and I still find it sad that you fail to see the connection, not between BEING Black vs gay, but between the experiences and intolerance towards each group. I am Jewish, and fully acknowledge our connection there (probably why I defend them so strongly).

If your brother is anything like you, I imagine that it would be extremely difficult to even get a word in, without being told that I'm discriminating for simply believing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry.

I do not hate anyone, but I simply have little patience for liberal ideologies, because time and time again, it always ends in chaos and confusion.

 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 AM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 813,854 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
The only people that think New York is all liberals are people who have never been to New York.

Travel outside your subdivision and you might actually learn that all types of people live in all types of areas.
I specifically stated NYC (121st, near Columbia). I never stated that all of New York State is liberal. Did you even bother reading my comments? I repeated myself continuously, and somehow you still didn't fully comprehend.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,683,671 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Good day, sir.
"Sir?"
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
If your brother is anything like you, I imagine that it would be extremely difficult to even get a word in, without being told that I'm discriminating for simply believing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry.
My brother is a wonderful person, and don't even THINK about saying anything disparaging towards him - or my other brother (not even sure which one you're referring to), for that matter. I am a big sister, and we can get as protective as a mama bear.

But if he did say you were discriminating, well, he would be correct. You want one set of rights & "rules" for heterosexuals, and a completely separate set for homosexuals. Your beliefs: Consenting adults of opposite sex should be allowed to marry, but consenting adults of the same sex should not; straight couples should be allowed to show (PG-13) affection in public, but homosexual couples should not; we should teach about heterosexuality in classes, but should not teach every other natural variation of sexuality.

Okay, what am I missing? How is this NOT the very definition of discrimination, and do you even understand that word? If I exchanged any other demographics in those above sentences, you would (hopefully) agree I was suggesting discrimination... but just because YOU personally don't like gay people, that means it's okay to discriminate against them? And all because your "G-d" told you so, when even that is highly debatable from any standpoint.

Quote:
I do not hate anyone, but I simply have little patience for liberal ideologies, because time and time again, it always ends in chaos and confusion.
If equality = chaos and confusion, I say bring on the madness.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 AM
 
541 posts, read 497,866 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
"Sir?"
LOL. They're trying to emulate Paul Harvey.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,683,671 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
If your brother is anything like you, I imagine that it would be extremely difficult to even get a word in, without being told that I'm discriminating for simply believing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry.
It is discrimination to try to deny gays the right to marry.

But it really doesn't matter - hateful bigots are, thankfully, a dying breed. And marriage equality is most likely coming to your own state - sooner rather than later - and you will have to accept it as LAW, whether you agree with it or not.

Quote:
I do not hate anyone, but I simply have little patience for liberal ideologies, because time and time again, it always ends in chaos and confusion.
Cite?
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 AM
 
541 posts, read 497,866 times
Reputation: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
If your brother is anything like you, I imagine that it would be extremely difficult to even get a word in, without being told that I'm discriminating for simply believing that homosexuals should not be allowed to marry.

I do not hate anyone, but I simply have little patience for liberal ideologies, because time and time again, it always end in chaos and confusion.
Yes, we wouldn't want you being confused about whether two people you happen to see on the street are married or not. That would just be chaotic for you ... how would you get through the activities of daily living ? The stress would be enormous.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
"Sir?"
Yeah, apparently I'm both a male and a homosexual now... I have (mostly as a joke) said that I secretly wish I were a gay man, but I didn't actually mean it!!
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 AM
 
7,371 posts, read 4,635,564 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Ben Carson is the only reputable person mentioned from your rather short list of black conservatives, and actually, he doesn't have any party affiliations. That's what I like most about him.
If you think Thomas Sowell isn't "reputable" then I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
Also, contrary to what you believe, conservatives use race all the time. One only needs to tune in to FOX NEWS to catch a glimpse. I'm not sure which is worst, CNN, FOX or MSNBC. I cancelled all of them!
They do not. This isn't what I believe. This is what I know. You can claim it until you're blue in the face but it won't make it true. You may see something a conservative says and say "oh, that's racist" but that's your perception. It doesn't mean they are "using race all the time". Conservatives do not use race all the time. Nor even a slight amount of time.

Quote:
Here's the thing... Repubs appeal to poor whites, by making them feel as though, they are the party that opposes social programs, and anything else that is typically branded under the broad spectrum of "minority entitlements." The irony is, the raw numbers suggest that whites make up the bulk of welfare recipients, so in essence, the repubs actually get poor whites to vote against the very programs that they primarily consume. Sad indeed.
Yes this is one of the great hypocrisies of liberals. According to liberals, conservatives oppose welfare because they're racists. Yet there are more whites on welfare than blacks. It shows the emptiness of liberal claims.

Quote:
Wealthy repubs view poor whites as the "other." The reality is, they don't even acknowledge their existence until votes are needed. No attention whatsoever is given to the plight of poor/working class whites, because again, wealthy repubs simply do not care about this population.
This is true.

Quote:
Notice a pattern: Wealthy libs view poor blacks as the "other." The reality is, they don't even acknowledge their existence until votes are needed. No attention whatsoever is given to the plight of poor/working class blacks, because again, wealthy libs simply do not care about this population.
I disagree here. I think liberals notice them and care about them. I just don't think they care to actually help them. Send them a check each month and forget about them until next month.

Quote:
I have pretty strong beliefs, but I do not believe that human beings are trash, simply because they are poor.
Trailer trash is a phrase. It isn't meant to imply they are trash.

Quote:
Ha HA. I'm sure you are familiar with the Willie Horton Ad. There are countless other examples, but this particular ad is key to understanding how repubs mobilize their white base. They primarily appeal to whites overall fear of blacks.
No, it didn't. This is just another example of making something about race that wasn't about race. This was the crime debate. It had zero to do with race. The Willie Horton issue was about a liberal letting a criminal out of jail, and then that criminal committing another offense. It was part of the big "get tough on crime" debate a couple decades ago when rehabilitation vs punishment was a big debate. It had nothing whatsoever to do with skin color.

Quote:
This is a classic strategy that is used by repubs. Appeal to white fear and the votes will roll in.
As I said earlier, you seeing something and you feeling it is racist doesn't make it about race. To you it may be racial. To the people who produced the ad and the people the ad was targeted to, it was about getting tough on crime.

Quote:
This country was changing for the better during the end of Bush's last term. People were out in the street, protesting and mobilizing, but then something awful happened. A charming young candidate (backed by the same elite who put Bush in office) came along promising wonderful tales of hope and change, and poof, all of the protesters disappeared overnight. Again, both parties seem to be working in concert to ensure that NO real change ever occurs.
Well that's true and false. It depends on the particular issue you're talking about. If you want to talk about guns in society, then there is a very real difference between the parties about what change should occur. The same is true of gay marriage, abortion, taxes, healthcare, etc. Neither seems overly interested in addressing issues like income inequality, education, crony capitalism, abuse of federal power, etc. So it really depends on the particular issue.

Quote:
Libs use the same spiel. Let me get this straight, LOL you're going to give poor blacks jobs and an education, yet you can't even do that for the poor whites within your party now? LOL

Let's get real. There are NO jobs for those who do not have the skill sets required by employers. Our economy is no longer based on a manufacturing model, therefore those without the requisite skills are (unfortunately) left behind.
I said get them jobs, not give them jobs. I meant get them in the workforce and being productive. Not gifting them with jobs. And the comment about whites isn't relevant. The welfare system isn't based on race, so saying "you can't even do that for whites in your party" doesn't make any point. The poor whites and the poor blacks are both on the same welfare system. If blacks started voting Republican then Democrats would lose. Then we could reform the welfare system. For all poor people. So all their lives could improve.

Quote:
Again, the same strategies, different names.. same ideology.. Conserves and Libs = LEFT and RIGHT Side of the same coin.
Republicans did get to reform the welfare system in the 90s and it had a measurable impact on the number of people living on welfare, without any correlating rise in poverty. The reforms did get people working. Then Obama got into office and reversed the reforms. So your claim is simply false.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,953 posts, read 8,683,671 times
Reputation: 6459
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, apparently I'm both a male and a homosexual now...
Surprise!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top