U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes this is one of the great hypocrisies of liberals. According to liberals, conservatives oppose welfare because they're racists. Yet there are more whites on welfare than blacks. It shows the emptiness of liberal claims.
So why does the right keep claiming welfare is what gets the Black vote, and why do they keep perpetuating the "Black welfare queen" stereotype? If there's one thing the OP & I agree on, it's that the "left" and "right" are one in the same sometimes. Both make empty claims, both perpetuate stereotypes, both claim to want smaller government EXCEPT when it comes to *insert chosen issue*, etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Surprise!!
Do I get a coming out party, complete with Liza & Bette CDs playing in the background, and a parade through downtown SF? Woot!!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,639,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, maybe "especially" was used too vaguely... I think freedom of thought/speech/opinions/etc is to be equally respected and protected, at least in the legal sense.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand judging someone based on their chosen behaviors or opinions, whereas I don't understand intolerance against something that can't be changed. A gay person can no more change their orientation (even if they abstain from sex) than a Black person can change their skin color, so intolerance against EITHER of these shouldn't be supported. And while I do think people should be free to their opinions, once those opinions move into legislating inequality, I will no longer sit back and say "it's cool, that's just your opinion!"
Discrimination against people of a different race or sexual orientation is instinct for human beings. It is an evolutionary survival trait. Anyone in the "out group" could be dangerous. There's a lot of stuff in evolutionary psychology that explains why people do seemingly irrational things. In modern society, though, it no longer serves any purpose. No doubt it will be gone eventually as people who lack sufficient natural distrust of the unknown aren't selected against by natural selection in the modern world. But we have thousands of years where if you weren't suspicious of the stranger over the hill he was likely to bash your head in with a rock and steal your food. We've only had a century or two of a world where working together produced better results.

So I find prejudice understandable even if it is distasteful and something to discourage.

On a related note, now that the sexes perform many of the same roles in society, we may eventually see (well, we won't - we'll be long dead - but humanity may see) people become much more androgynous over time.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 AM

10,953 posts, read 8,689,722 times
Quote:
Do I get a coming out party, complete with Liza & Bette CDs playing in the background, and a parade through downtown SF? Woot!!
As long as you dress up (or down) as outlandishly as possibly and perform sex acts on the streets of S.F. and shove your newly discovered homo down the throats of all those who would have their sensibilities offended by such actions.....then I'm good with it.

Maybe we should invite the Village People to perform.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/620281...e_people_ymca/

Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,639,472 times
Quote:
So why does the right keep claiming welfare is what gets the Black vote, and why do they keep perpetuating the "Black welfare queen" stereotype? If there's one thing the OP & I agree on, it's that the "left" and "right" are one in the same sometimes. Both make empty claims, both perpetuate stereotypes, both claim to want smaller government EXCEPT when it comes to *insert chosen issue*, etc.
I don't see leftists claim to want smaller government. Smaller military, yes. But not smaller government.

It's not just welfare it is the whole "package" - welfare, affirmative action, racism, and victimhood. They all combine together into a "you're a victim being held down by conservative racists and we will champion your cause" thing. It isn't just welfare getting the vote, it is keeping a victimhood mentality that gets the votes. Keeping black people voting on race instead of on issues. Doesn't matter about education, the economy, foreign policy, private sector vs public sector, etc - it's just "Republicans are racists so we won't vote for them" And Democrats harp on that constantly to keep that going. Last election cycle we had Democrats say that Republicans were going to hang blacks from trees, bring back Jim Crow, and put blacks back in chains. All absurd but all playing on the "conservatives are trying to oppress you" narrative.

As far as welfare itself, I touched on that in a previous message. It's similar to hispanics and immigration. Even though the voting hispanics aren't the illegal immigrants, it is still a major issue to them. Even though most blacks aren't on welfare, there is still a higher percentage of blacks than the percentage of whites on welfare and welfare is seen in society as a minority issue by all sides. And I think welfare really is a bigger issue on C-D than it is in society in general. What I see in the conservative sphere in general being the biggest issue isn't welfare, it is overusing the race card.

As for the welfare queen, it's just a stereotype. Higher percentage of blacks on welfare, higher welfare benefits for single mothers, higher illegitimacy rate among blacks -> black welfare queen. That's just the stereotypical welfare recipient that stands in for all people on welfare. Same as the corporate CEO stands in for all rich businessmen whether they are bankers, consultants, investors, whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or