U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,636,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Forest Whitaker, an oscar winning (black) actor, was recently accused (by a deli store clerk) of stealing. The clerk proceeded to search him (which is not even legal). After patting him down, the clerk found no stolen merchandise. Once the ordeal was over, Mr. Whitaker simply left the store, humiliated and ashamed. Some people would be shocked to know that this sort of behavior is quite typical in very liberal white cities such as NYC, and San Francisco.
Quite typical as evidenced by what?

Quote:
My question is, why are liberal whites thought of as "progressive" and "compassionate," while conservative whites are often all painted as hateful racists?
Because liberals are the ones doing the labels

Quote:
I'm sure Whitaker is probably rethinking his love fest with liberals?
I doubt it. I see nothing in the story that indicates the clerk was liberal.

Quote:
In my opinion, both ideologies (liberal and conservative) represent two sides of the same coin. Because both groups essentially have the same type of "Good, Racist People."
I think neither side is racist. I know for a fact that the conservative ideology is not racist. I have been a conservative all my life and have lived in several different states on the West coast, in the Midwest, and in the South. I have never met a racist conservative. If racism were as rampant in conservatism as liberals claim it is, then I could not possibly go so many years in so many locations and not come across it. And I believe the liberal ideology isn't racist either. Not being a liberal, I can't say that for sure. I do believe that liberal ideology leads to bad outcomes for minorities and that rather than face up to that fact, liberals blame conservatives for those outcomes. But I don't believe those outcomes are intended.

[quote]
In an Op-Ed piece about Whitaker's ordeal, columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0
[\quote]

I have seen nothing in the story to indicate that this was motivated by race. He was black, he was checked, therefore it must have been racist. <- that's all I see. Maybe someone else stole something who was next to Whitaker. Maybe Whitaker was behaving strangely and the clerk got suspicious. Maybe Whitaker was carrying a bag or had a coat on or something that made him look like a shoplifter. I don't know. But I see absolutely nothing in the story as given to leap to a conclusion of racism. But liberals are very big on that - "It could be racism, therefore it was racism"

Quote:
It is my sincere hope that blacks move away from the democratic party and look towards a third party system. I'm amazed and confused that so many blacks simply don't get it..
I would like to see blacks move away from the Democrats also. For one, I am certain they would be better of for doing it. For another, it would remove the race card from Democrats who use it to retain power.

Quote:
At the end of the day, there's really NO difference between the ideology of conservative and liberal racism.
There are vast differences between the ideologies of conservatism and liberalism. Conservatives believe in a colorblind society. Liberals believe in dividing people up by identity groups. They are polar opposites.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM

50,586 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Yes, I am essentially saying that there is no difference between white conservatives and white liberals. I'm therefore trying to figure out why blacks continue to support liberals with 95% of their vote..
Are you owed an explanation? Ok...I'll give you one.

Because we can.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 PM

810 posts, read 813,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wonderful.

I don't give a damn about what happened to Forest Whitaker. That doesn't have a damn thing to do with how I VOTE!!

You think I should consider voting for the Republican Party based on a random incident in NYC? How stupid is that?

Frickin' condescending ass conservatives! SMH...unreal.
This is not about Forest Whitaker, but more or less about the white "liberal" environment. Those who are familiar with NYC and San Francisco can attest to the fact that there is really no difference between how a white liberal will treat you vs a white conservative.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Are you owed an explanation? Ok...I'll give you one.

Because we can.
I am black. Again, I'm trying to point out that very liberal environments do not differ much from very conservative environments. Black people seem very aware of the typical white conservative mindset, but many seem to be in the dark about the typical liberal mindset.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Quote:
This is not about Forest Whitaker, but more or less about the white "liberal" environment. Those who are familiar with NYC and San Francisco can attest to the fact that there is really no difference between how a white liberal will treat you vs a white conservative.
I'm from San Francisco, and honestly don't know the political leanings of everyone I encounter... so I can't say if you're right or wrong, also because I haven't seen much blatant discrimination here. Sure, there are racists, and they probably come from both sides of the political fence. So at least on that, we can agree. But are we MORE racist than, say, a small town in Kansas or Alabama? I highly doubt it.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am essentially saying that there is no difference between white conservatives and white liberals. I'm therefore trying to figure out why blacks continue to support liberals with 95% of their vote..
Maybe because they can see past a few examples of racism, or even past that one issue altogether - and actually care about how each side feels in terms of institutional discrimination? And I bet if you visited a racist website (i.e. Stormfront or KKK), they wouldn't be so liberal in their political leanings either. So why would you/they want to be part of a group that (in some segments) doesn't want them?

But what do I know? I'm neither a Democrat nor Black, so my views probably don't count for much here... but as a San Franciscan, I have to say your opinions there are skewed to say the least.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Quite typical as evidenced by what?

I doubt it. I see nothing in the story that indicates the clerk was liberal.
I attended grad school in NYC. Columbia University is a bastion of liberalism. The owner of Milano is a democrat and professes to be a very proud liberal.

Quote:
I think neither side is racist. I know for a fact that the conservative ideology is not racist. I have been a conservative all my life and have lived in several different states on the West coast, in the Midwest, and in the South. I have never met a racist conservative. If racism were as rampant in conservatism as liberals claim it is, then I could not possibly go so many years in so many locations and not come across it. And I believe the liberal ideology isn't racist either. Not being a liberal, I can't say that for sure. I do believe that liberal ideology leads to bad outcomes for minorities and that rather than face up to that fact, liberals blame conservatives for those outcomes. But I don't believe those outcomes are intended.
My point is, many blacks view conservatives as racist, but when conservatives are measured against liberals, in truth, both groups have similar view points and behaviors about blacks. I am trying to figure out why so many blacks continue to support liberals, since the thinking is really very much on par with white conservatives (in terms of the mindset regarding blacks).

Quote:
In an Op-Ed piece about Whitaker's ordeal, columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0

I have seen nothing in the story to indicate that this was motivated by race. He was black, he was checked, therefore it must have been racist. <- that's all I see. Maybe someone else stole something who was next to Whitaker. Maybe Whitaker was behaving strangely and the clerk got suspicious. Maybe Whitaker was carrying a bag or had a coat on or something that made him look like a shoplifter. I don't know. But I see absolutely nothing in the story as given to leap to a conclusion of racism. But liberals are very big on that - "It could be racism, therefore it was racism"
Really, so it's normal for a store clerk to frisk a customer? How many white guys are frisked by store clerks, better yet, how many white celebs are frisked? I can see calling the police, but the store clerk actually frisked him! Is this normal behavior? Would you allow a store clerk to frisk you?

Quote:

There are vast differences between the ideologies of conservatism and liberalism. Conservatives believe in a colorblind society. Liberals believe in dividing people up by identity groups. They are polar opposites.
It appears that there is no difference in your ideology and the typical white liberal mindset, since you don't see anything wrong with a store clerk frisking him. Thus you are actually proving my point.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

20,976 posts, read 16,261,271 times
Quote:
Wonderful.

I don't give a damn about what happened to Forest Whitaker. That doesn't have a damn thing to do with how I VOTE!!

You think I should consider voting for the Republican Party based on a random incident in NYC? How stupid is that?

Frickin' condescending ass conservatives! SMH...unreal.
I would think he stole too......he looks kind of .

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2013 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
My point is, many blacks view conservatives as racist, but when conservatives are measured against liberals, in truth, both groups have similar view points and behaviors about blacks. I am trying to figure out why so many blacks continue to support liberals, since the thinking is really very much on par with white conservatives (in terms of the mindset regarding blacks).
Well, there's your answer... if the issue of racism is equal (according to you) on both sides, obviously that is not the driving force behind black voting habits. So what DOES affect their/your voting choices? Can't be race-related issues, based on your theory.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I would think he stole too......he looks kind of retarded.
I LOVE when people from the far right expose how they think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or