U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,172 posts, read 7,039,173 times
Reputation: 4175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Do tell me: When are whites frisked by store clerks? Perhaps the security team, but a store clerk?

I seriously doubt that you would allow a store clerk to frisk you.
When they're carrying an illegal Big Gulp. That's probable cause. A large Slurpee can send them straight to Riker's.

 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,692,616 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Really? Based upon what? What law says a store clerk or owner has no right to "frisk," I'm not quite sure what this means, a person they have arrested and are in their custody? If you are under arrest, you are under arrest. PERIOD. That store clerk can "frisk" and search you all day, night long.
How are you going to frisk someone if he doesn't let you?
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 813,854 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
How are you going to frisk someone if he doesn't let you?
More than likely, Whitaker was taken aback, probably due to tremendous embarrassment. He probably felt like it was best, just to comply, instead of creating a big scene. After all, he didn't want the cops to arrive and ask for ID.. and then have the story in the press.

It was still reported...much to his dismay. I just wonder if he wants his check back from the democratic convention?
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 813,854 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
New York Penal Law, sec. 35.30
"4.A private person acting on his own account may use physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon another person when and to the extent that he reasonably believes such to be necessary to effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person whom he reasonably believes to have committed an offense [in his presence] and who in fact has committed such offense; "

For a citizens arrest to be legal the citizen MUST have absolute knowledge the crime did in fact occur. The fact that the store owner effected the arrest, and it turned out there was no crime, the very act of the arrest became a crime...

Notice the "whom he reasonably believes has committed an offense" followed by the "AND who in fact has committed such offense."

Thank you for citing the code.
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
 
802 posts, read 935,312 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Forest Whitaker, an oscar winning (black) actor, was recently accused (by a deli store clerk) of stealing. The clerk proceeded to search him (which is not even legal). After patting him down, the clerk found no stolen merchandise. Once the ordeal was over, Mr. Whitaker simply left the store, humiliated and ashamed. Some people would be shocked to know that this sort of behavior is quite typical in very liberal white cities such as NYC, and San Francisco.

My question is, why are liberal whites thought of as "progressive" and "compassionate," while conservative whites are often all painted as hateful racists?

I'm sure Whitaker is probably rethinking his love fest with liberals?

In my opinion, both ideologies (liberal and conservative) represent two sides of the same coin. Because both groups essentially have the same type of "Good, Racist People."

In an Op-Ed piece about Whitaker's ordeal, columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0


It is my sincere hope that blacks move away from the democratic party and look towards a third party system. I'm amazed and confused that so many blacks simply don't get it..

At the end of the day, there's really NO difference between the ideology of conservative and liberal racism.
Much respect for this thread queen! No reason for him to suspected, because he was black. No outcry or outrage because he's black.
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. I'll guarantee that MOST "liberals" would quickly change their minds IF the HAD to live in a nasty area, regardless of the race of the people living in that area. Yea; I just said it: PWT, Black hood rats, drunk rowdy Indians and Hispanics.
I have lived in those "nasty areas" (look up Hunter's Point, Stockton, East Palo Alto & West Philadelphia, if you don't believe me), and still haven't changed my "tune" when it comes to racism. I don't like it, period, and don't know many liberals OR conservatives around here who do either. What "tune" do you think would change, exactly?
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,692,616 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
More than likely, Whitaker was taken aback, probably due to tremendous embarrassment. He probably felt like it was best, just to comply, instead of creating a big scene. After all, he didn't want the cops to arrive and ask for ID.. and then have the story in the press.

It was still reported...much to his dismay. I just wonder if he wants his check back from the democratic convention?
I would just have left the store and knocked some things as I left. The cops will come but it will be too late for the store owner when they get there.
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Much respect for this thread queen! No reason for him to suspected, because he was black. No outcry or outrage because he's black.
How do you get that idea? I see plenty of "outcry," from the OP, posters on this thread, and the articles themselves. I love when people claim nothing is being done/said, while quoting a link to an article on the very subject.
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Yes, I've been to San Francisco and I hated the left leaning politics and the general vibe. I also strongly dislike Berkeley, because it has the same feel, with the same type of liberals. Needless to say, I stayed in Oakland.
Oakland isn't liberal? Okay, if you say so........ and please don't bring Berkeley into the discussion, when even the San Francisco hippies refer to it as BERZERKley.

(and for somebody who claims to be politically neutral, you sure do have a strong dislike for liberals!)

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-12-2013 at 10:09 PM..
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
 
2,004 posts, read 1,320,969 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Forest Whitaker, an oscar winning (black) actor, was recently accused (by a deli store clerk) of stealing. The clerk proceeded to search him (which is not even legal). After patting him down, the clerk found no stolen merchandise. Once the ordeal was over, Mr. Whitaker simply left the store, humiliated and ashamed. Some people would be shocked to know that this sort of behavior is quite typical in very liberal white cities such as NYC, and San Francisco.

My question is, why are liberal whites thought of as "progressive" and "compassionate," while conservative whites are often all painted as hateful racists?

I'm sure Whitaker is probably rethinking his love fest with liberals?

In my opinion, both ideologies (liberal and conservative) represent two sides of the same coin. Because both groups essentially have the same type of "Good, Racist People."

In an Op-Ed piece about Whitaker's ordeal, columnist Ta-Nehisi Coates states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/op...ople.html?_r=0


It is my sincere hope that blacks move away from the democratic party and look towards a third party system. I'm amazed and confused that so many blacks simply don't get it..

At the end of the day, there's really NO difference between the ideology of conservative and liberal racism.
Wow, white liberals can also be racist. I never knew that, growing up in Boston, going to an elite high school, an d watching the white parents fret about "gang activity" because some of us black students hung out together.

Regardless, the Dems don't actively race-bait to the extent that the GOP does, and our political system quite naturally leads to two (and *only* two) competing political parties, so it's pretty obvious why black people will stick with Dems for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top