U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM

12,289 posts, read 7,958,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Add Kimber into that list too. Being a woman I don't normally feel comfortable with hubbies 45's in my little hands... but he recently bought a Kimber and took me to the range to shoot it. It was SWEET!
Ya, my wife gets lady wood shooting the s&w I got her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Ya, my wife gets lady wood shooting the s&w I got her.
Good way to put it!

I think I kind of shocked him, because normally I'm a much better shot with a smaller pistol. He pulled the target, looked at me with eyes as big as saucer's and wasn't happy when I declared.. "From now on.. that one's mine."

Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,895,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Barrett isn't a "real" gun manufacturer?
I guess my m82 is fake then huh?
By "real" I mean "significant". How many domestic USA police forces have anti-materiel semi-auto rifles chambered for .50BMG? I don't know the answer to that, but I could probably count them with my shoes on. Same for Red Jacket... sure they make "real" guns, but their only claim to fame is a cheesy staged TV show.

Compare that to how many police forces have Colt, Glock, Berreta, H&K, or Smith & Wesson handguns and rifles in their armories.

I will admit, however, that I missed the fact that Rock River was on the list. A reasonably significant number of police forces own their tactical rifles. No where near the others I listed, but still significant.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,628,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
"I can't stomach the thought of my son or my lady suffering from bullet wounds gone septic in an old mineshaft with maybe, if I'm lucky, only a few Tylenol at my disposal. "

We don't have any old mine shafts around here. Why are you fantasizing about holing up in a mine shaft?
I think you watch too much tv.
That is an analogy and definitely not something I fantasize about. By the way, we have LOTS of old mineshafts around here, some of them are close to 200 years old. Not that that matters.

How do you figure that what I described in what you quoted is something I would fantasize about? Nightmare yea, fantasy, hardly. My experiences with gunshot wounds doesn't come from movies either. Yea, the hero takes a hit to the leg or shoulder and just keeps right on trucking on the wounded limb. Ever seen a gunshot to a shoulder or leg? I have. And its nothing I want to try and treat. I'm not fantasizing about war, of any kind, pard! I'm throwing the non fantasy take on it out. You can think whatever you want, but it sounds like your questioning how much I love my family, and that I could somehow have a daydream about them being in pain. If thats the case, you know what you can do with that after you roll it up tight.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM

19,025 posts, read 22,223,869 times
Quote:
Add Kimber into that list too. Being a woman I don't normally feel comfortable with hubbies 45's in my little hands... but he recently bought a Kimber and took me to the range to shoot it. It was SWEET!
There is no reason a 98 pound woman can't run a .45 ACP gun..... None.

A young gal pulled about that same stunt you are here, and now and in about 5 minutes I had a target out and ammo in some mags and she aced that target the first time out of the gate.

I a few easy simple lessons to get started SAFELY, and to make sure she would not harmed or scared mattered.

I have been around guns a long time and i have seen stupid gun play and people with no business attempt to shoot and become hurt just trying. That usually ends that persons life long interest in guns.

Sounds like Hubby took good care of you.

On edit: LOL so you out shot hubby too....... Tell him I know just how that feels........ ok? My wife tends to out shoot me too..... I love the look of her eyes just after recoil from my K-89 8mm........ If hubby has a gun like that Know it right now that thing will kick like a mule. The more like that a gun hocks the more you want to pull it into your shoulder.

A beginner mistake is trying to hold a gun like that away from your shoulder and in that case the shooter takes a wallop hard, instead of getting rolled back with the recoil.

My wife thinks that is the neatest thing since peanut butter..... And she out shoots me with that too.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There is no reason a 98 pound woman can't run a .45 ACP gun..... None.

A young gal pulled about that same stunt you are here, and now and in about 5 minutes I had a target out and ammo in some mags and she aced that target the first time out of the gate.

I a few easy simple lessons to get started SAFELY, and to make sure she would not harmed or scared mattered.

I have been around guns a long time and i have seen stupid gun play and people with no business attempt to shoot and become hurt just trying. That usually ends that persons life long interest in guns.

Sounds like Hubby took good care of you.

On edit: LOL so you out shot hubby too....... Tell him I know just how that feels........ ok? My wife tends to out shoot me too..... I love the look of her eyes just after recoil from my K-89 8mm........ If hubby has a gun like that Know it right now that thing will kick like a mule. The more like that a gun hocks the more you want to pull it into your shoulder.

A beginner mistake is trying to hold a gun like that away from your shoulder and in that case the shooter takes a wallop hard, instead of getting rolled back with the recoil.

My wife thinks that is the neatest thing since peanut butter..... And she out shoots me with that too.
I can handle the 45's.. I just have very small hands, very short fingers, and the stocks usually seem so big. And they usually seem heavy to me so I tend to drop the barrel down and usually shoot low with them. For some reason, this new one just felt good in my hands. Almost no recoil and deadly accurate. He has taught me well. And I enjoy it.. Although there is no way I'll ever out-shoot him with a shotgun. I go skeet shooting and while fun.. for the most part, I suck at it. LOL.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 PM

12,289 posts, read 7,958,393 times
Quote:
I can handle the 45's.. I just have very small hands, very short fingers, and the stocks usually seem so big. And they usually seem heavy to me so I tend to drop the barrel down and usually shoot low with them. For some reason, this new one just felt good in my hands. Almost no recoil and deadly accurate. He has taught me well. And I enjoy it.. Although there is no way I'll ever out-shoot him with a shotgun. I go skeet shooting and while fun.. for the most part, I suck at it. LOL.
With the shotgun you just can't look at the bead, focus on the clay and remain fluid in your motion. That and make sure the shotgun fits you well, ergos are very important.
You point a shotgun, you aim a rifle.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
With the shotgun you just can't look at the bead, focus on the clay and remain fluid in your motion. That and make sure the shotgun fits you well, ergos are very important.
You point a shotgun, you aim a rifle.
He's got a rife that I enjoy. After shooting the cans one afternoon, I was telling him I needed something harder to hit. He thought he'd get me and told me to see if I could hit the tootsie-pops. LOL.. Yep.. I can pop the tops and leave the sticks standing, but their stationary. I don't think I could hit a moving clay pigeon if it was the size of a buick. But.. I'll keep trying...

Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 AM

2,792 posts, read 3,895,415 times
Quote:
I can handle the 45's.. I just have very small hands, very short fingers, and the stocks usually seem so big. And they usually seem heavy to me so I tend to drop the barrel down and usually shoot low with them. For some reason, this new one just felt good in my hands. Almost no recoil and deadly accurate. He has taught me well. And I enjoy it...
My wife does the same thing. She can drive nails with .22LR (target pistol) up to a 9m Makarov (about the same power as a .380 in a heavy military pistol to soak up the recoil). But when she shoots something that kicks like my 9mm NATO Walther PPS (full-power 9mm in a slim sub-compact CCW) or a full-size .40 S&W pistol she always hits the ground between herself and the target.

She takes careful aim, but then closes her eyes and pre-compensates for the kick by pushing the gun forward (pushing the barrel down) just as she's pulling the trigger. It happens in an instant and she denies she does it (she claims the gun sucks), but I recorded her shooting and she's got a massive flinch. After a while she gets frustrated because the "gun doesn't shoot straight" and starts aiming way above the target to compensate for the kick pre-compensation.

If I may ask, what caliber and model is the Kimber you appropriated from your husband? My wife's graduation present this spring is going to be a CCW class with a weapon to go with it.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
If I may ask, what caliber and model is the Kimber you appropriated from your husband? My wife's graduation present this spring is going to be a CCW class with a weapon to go with it.
Kimber Gold Match II 45. In my CCW we used their guns. I'm thinking it was a .22?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or