Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM

688 posts, read 652,203 times

Advertisements

I'd love to say that "Made in America" matters, but it doesn't. American Apparel may technically be made in America, but the truth is that you leave "America" once you walk into their manufacturing facilities. American Apparel is made in a "Mexican island" within Los Angeles... many the workers are they employ are working illegally in the U.S., and worse, paid like it. And even then, they are in incredible debt, and will likely be out of business soon.

I do buy "Made in America" clothing, particularly jeans, and they always cost upwards of $300. That's just the cost of running a cotton/denim mill within the U.S. by American labor, and then having those garments cut and sewn by Americans making a livable wage. Even Levi's that are still made in San Francisco cost $250+, and they have incredible purchasing power.

It's not possible to grow, pay cotton pickers, ship the cotton, spin the cotton to thread, weave those threads into fabric, design clothing patterns, cut fabric into those patterns, sew those patterns, ship the garments to stores, pay all of the associated wages/rents/upkeep/overhead, allow a typical 50% retail markup on those clothes, and then sell you a pair of jeans $30; it's just not possible in the U.S.

With the way that labor is paid in this country, even if the people working in American factories wanted to buy the clothing that they were producing, they wouldn't be able to afford it. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
I buy American made stuff all the time, I also buy stuff made in Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Italy, etc..

Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
If they are working at 7 years old it's because the other option is for them and their families to starve.

I work in manufacturing. We sell a lot of stuff overseas. So I see no particular reason to support American goods over any other. If I want them to support my products I should reciprocate.

And I'll let you in on a secret. The Western world has been buying goods from China since 1299 when Marco Polo went back to Milan. And the Chinese been buying from the West since then too.

And pretty much everything you buy is made in all different countries. Parts that go in a Samsung TV are made in the same factories as any TV made in the U.S. (if there are any made in the U.S.) It don't matter what the sticker says.

It makes absolutley no difference where the good is from. Hell, an American automobile has 20,000 parts on it and those parts are made in dozens of countries. It's all good.

Most of this "Made in America" stuff is marketing. Doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, as it is almost a certainity that some of it touched a foreigners hands.

If you really want to support American manufacturing you should lobby Congress to get rid of silly regulations, lower business taxes and outlaw unions. That's what drives companies overseas and it's what makes it hard for Americans compete.
So in sense you want America to become like China? I read your entire post but the end caught my eye the most; countries that lack regulation such as China are the reason why 7 year olds are working so young. When I have my first child, I hope America still has its regulations and they won't be able to have a job (unless I give them a job in my office or something shredding papers or greeting people just for side cash and giving them a work-experience) at such a young age. I understand the global economy and where things come from, I stated above that when I said this:

none of my electronics are (although I'm sure they have electronic components inside that are from America)

No one country can produce everything needed for a electronic, car, or whatever that requires many components, but to say scrap regulation so you can attempt to build everything in one country would hurt not only domestically but internationally as well. Now I'm opposed to stupid regulations that could make a business owner want to move, but scraping all regulation is a step in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Yes. My favorite furniture retailer is Room&Board and a large percentage of their products are made in the USA.

[their prices mean a lot of their stuff can only be on my wish list]
Never heard of that store before, must be a CA thing. Most of my stuff is from Ikea, Crate and Barrel, and some is from random places in NC; I'm not sure where any of its manufactured though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Living in palo alto is so elitist
LOL; exactly. I live on the East Coast and have never been to Palo Alto yet I still know its reputation of a elitist, wealthy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I'd love to say that "Made in America" matters, but it doesn't. American Apparel may technically be made in America, but the truth is that you leave "America" once you walk into their manufacturing facilities. American Apparel is made in a "Mexican island" within Los Angeles... many the workers are they employ are working illegally in the U.S., and worse, paid like it. And even then, they are in incredible debt, and will likely be out of business soon.

I do buy "Made in America" clothing, particularly jeans, and they always cost upwards of $300. That's just the cost of running a cotton/denim mill within the U.S. by American labor, and then having those garments cut and sewn by Americans making a livable wage. Even Levi's that are still made in San Francisco cost $250+, and they have incredible purchasing power.

It's not possible to grow, pay cotton pickers, ship the cotton, spin the cotton to thread, weave those threads into fabric, design clothing patterns, cut fabric into those patterns, sew those patterns, ship the garments to stores, pay all of the associated wages/rents/upkeep/overhead, allow a typical 50% retail markup on those clothes, and then sell you a pair of jeans $30; it's just not possible in the U.S.

With the way that labor is paid in this country, even if the people working in American factories wanted to buy the clothing that they were producing, they wouldn't be able to afford it. It's a shame.
Sadly, I understand what you're saying in this post. I think thats a reality that most of us don't want to face, we just want to believe that buying American doesn't have any strings attached to it and people aren't working in terrible conditions because this our homeland and our homeland would never tolerate anything like that. Maybe its just to give myself comfort, I'll still try to buy from American/NATO/Regulated countries.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

Never heard of that store before, must be a CA thing. Most of my stuff is from Ikea, Crate and Barrel, and some is from random places in NC; I'm not sure where any of its manufactured though.

They have a store in DC >>> Furniture Stores in Washington, D.C. - Room & Board

[you should visit!]

Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Living in palo alto is so elitist
I was country when country wasn't cool. Metaphorically speaking.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Red Wing Boots - Made in the USA - $280

Worx Boots by Red Wing - Not Made in the USA - $120

Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
They have a store in DC >>> Furniture Stores in Washington, D.C. - Room & Board

[you should visit!]
Seems edgy which is my taste, I'll check it out one day when I have some cash on hand. LOL Looking at Google Streetview, the store looks like its in the middle of a neighborhood thats in the process of being gentrified. Those type of edgy stores are typically found on M Street/Georgetown area, so maybe that's why I'm a bit surprised by its location. Thanks for adding to my shopping addiction bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I was country when country wasn't cool. Metaphorically speaking.
LOL, country is cool? Because I'm from NC but lived in Baltimore for a good portion of my life, my dialect is a bit morphed; people can understand what I'm saying but pick on how I say some words. People around here always say "Where are you from?" and then I have to explain why I talk the way I talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay money for either of those boots, they're not really my style. But if they were my style, and the price different wasn't so large (say about $40 or $50 higher for the American made) I would go with the American made rather than the ones not Made in America unless they were made in Italy or something; if they were made in Italy and were $120, I'd go for the Italy made.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
So in sense you want America to become like China? I read your entire post but the end caught my eye the most; countries that lack regulation such as China are the reason why 7 year olds are working so young. When I have my first child, I hope America still has its regulations and they won't be able to have a job (unless I give them a job in my office or something shredding papers or greeting people just for side cash and giving them a work-experience) at such a young age.
Child labor in this country was not eliminated because of regulation. If you look at Census Data kids weren't working in factories by the time it became illegal. Hadn't been for decades. Capitalism solved the problem.

Advances in technology and higher wages eliminated child labor. Same will happen in other countries if they embrace capitalism.

And no kid could work in a factory in the U.S. today anyway. Law or no law. They would be incapable. And employers know it so they wouldn't even bother with them.

It was immigrant families that had their kids in the factories. And it was only for a short period of time before the parents started make enough to support their families. The alternative was to starve to death.

Missouri did however outlaw child labor while it was still prevelant. I think that was in the 1880s but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Now I wouldn't voluntarily buy a product if made by slave labor. That's where I draw the line. But I don't count low wages or 10 year olds as slave labor.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

I had to buy a motor & pulley for the drivers side window of my Camry.

The one made in the States was $80. The one in Japan was $120. The guy said they were the exact same part. So I bought the American.

Couldn't figure why they even carried the Japanese one. Or why they didn't bump up the price of the American one.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Child labor in this country was not eliminated because of regulation. If you look at Census Data kids weren't working in factories by the time it became illegal. Hadn't been for decades. Capitalism solved the problem.

Advances in technology and higher wages eliminated child labor. Same will happen in other countries if they embrace capitalism.

And no kid could work in a factory in the U.S. today anyway. Law or no law. They would be incapable. And employers know it so they wouldn't even bother with them.

It was immigrant families that had their kids in the factories. And it was only for a short period of time before the parents started make enough to support their families. The alternative was to starve to death.

Missouri did however outlaw child labor while it was still prevelant. I think that was in the 1880s but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

Now I wouldn't voluntarily buy a product if made by slave labor. That's where I draw the line. But I don't count low wages or 10 year olds as slave labor.
What are you talking about? Have you ever heard of the Fair Labor Standards Act? America was definitely having children doing pretty strenuous work in the early 20th Century, the FLSA prevented that for the most part; not capitalism. Am I saying capitalism or technological advancements didn't have some play in ending child labor? No, but I'm sure without the FLSA children could still pick up jobs cleaning chimneys or sewing clothes. Soon enough, humans we'll be obsolete from working in factories except for maintenance.

And why are kids working in Chinese factories then? They are far smaller than American children, yet they are "capable" of handling the machines even people such as myself wouldn't know how to use.

But I'm glad to hear you wouldn't purposely buy a product that was made by slave labor. We'll just have to agree to disagree that Capitalism can solve any and everything, I like capitalism to a degree but not complete lassie-faire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies