U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,116,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yes, it does.

The book of genesis itself gives an outline of evolution, with simpler organisms appearing before the more complex.
So what is all the fuss about, if everyone believes in evolution? One side thinks DNA and life spontaneously appeared by pure accident of events, and the other thinks DNA was a blue print of sorts that was created. Either way, species still evolve and change.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
'cause God didn't say we evolutioned from em er' monkey's. I don't look like no monkey

(sarcasam alert)
To me what's funny is that people believe in these scientific theories without fully understanding what they say, what they imply, and even the evidence for them. They just believe them because they were taught in schools.

But that's not what is funny. What is funny is when you then go ahead and make fun of people who also believe what was taught to them, just something different.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,544,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
The problem with evolution is you are teaching children that they are nothing more than another species of animals. Human beings are not animals, and animals are not human beings. An animal has no moral consciousness. It acts out of instinct and programmed behavior.

If evolutionists truly believe that human beings are simply another class of species then they can't say bestiality is immoral and wrong. Evolution strips away our very humanity and degrades things like love and passion to nothing more than chemical reactions in the brain.
Actually humans are social animals, we have many of the same organs that your pet dog has.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Did I say a dog could evolve into a giraffe? My example was larger or smaller birds, of different colors, shapes, which is the evolution of a species.

I think our DNA only allows mutations in certain directions.
A species changing and adapting is one thing. That could be called horizontal evolution.

Evolutionists claim that species change into a complete and seperate species. Vertical evolution, if you will.

That is not possible unless nature can perform genetic enigineering.

There is no proof that one species has changed into another. It's only a theory and should not be presented as fact.

10,357 posts, read 7,984,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So what is all the fuss about, if everyone believes in evolution? One side thinks DNA and life spontaneously appeared by pure accident of events, and the other thinks DNA was a blue print of sorts that was created. Either way, species still evolve and change.
I guess because to say one doesn't "believe" in evolution is just as ignorant as saying one doesn't "believe" in germs, and still think disease is caused by evil spirits. Or that one doesn't "believe" in gravity, or atoms, and still thinks that the gods above us create thunders storms.

993 posts, read 801,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Have you seen a family dog evolve into a giraffe? No, it can change based on the genes of his parents, but it will always be a dog.

One single animal will not evolve into another entirely different animal. Anyone who thinks that is what evolution is has got to be mentally handicapped.

It's called "survival of the fittest", a family pug will survive regardless of its genetic makeup...
However, if a group of pugs was locked in a home for many thousands of years, they'd breed and interbreed until a specific type of pug which was best suited to survive in that environment would "evolve". Essentially if the food were only available to the tallest pug with the longest reach, the tallest pug would be the one that survived and passed on its genetic traits to the next generation. This would repeat until the pugs with long necks and tongues were the result. If those pugs that result from the selective breeding process that isolation forces were released and compared to pugs who had been able to continue on their traditional family dog path, they would not even resemble each other. Just look at what the English Bulldog has become in just a century and you can see how selective breeding can change a creature over a short time...just imagine it over thousands upon thousands of years.

If you accept genetics as fact (you have to, otherwise you're mentally ill), then evolution is obvious. If you introduce new genes into a family, that family changes.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,116,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
{snip}

As for creationism on the other hand, there is no evidence that humans evolved in the manner described in the Bible for example.
Sure, highly advanced space aliens messed with our DNA.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,984,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
A species changing and adapting is one thing. That could be called horizontal evolution.

Evolutionists claim that species change into a complete and seperate species. Vertical evolution, if you will.

That is not possible unless nature can perform genetic enigineering.

There is no proof that one species has changed into another. It's only a theory and should not be presented as fact.
Yes, there is proof. Fossil records show that over millions of years, life on this planet started as simple life forms, like protozoa, and over eons has evolved into more complex life forms. There are many examples in biology showing the evidence of past lineage. For example, human embryos early in their development show the development of a tail (at the base of the spine), which disappears before birth. Or the fact that we share much of our DNA with other life forms.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM

23,438 posts, read 28,297,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Where is the fossil record showing a species in transition? They don't exist. Evolution cannot be proven. There are plenty of fossils around. Millions in fact. Not one even suggests evolution.

A virus adapting is not evolution. Don't start talking about people with low IQs if that is what you believe.

You Creation deniers crack me up.

Show a record of a species in transition to another species. A different species. Not some silly virus mutation. And then evolution can be proved. Until then it is just a theory. And not a very good one at that.
All you have to do is look at an embryo. The evidence of the common ancestor for all vertebrates is there.

Which embryo is human?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,072,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
To me what's funny is that people believe in these scientific theories without fully understanding what they say, what they imply, and even the evidence for them. They just believe them because they were taught in schools.

But that's not what is funny. What is funny is when you then go ahead and make fun of people who also believe what was taught to them, just something different.

So the Theory of relativity you don't believe? Atomic bomb ring a bell?

There is no missing link, there are millions of links. I differ physically then humans did a million years ago, and I'll differ from humans a million years from now.

I know what evolution is, I understand it, I accept that this is how we understand how life changes. Species can change over time, period. Humans simply weren't created from dirt. We evolved from previous versions of humans that were more related to apes. Somewhere there was a deviation in the species, but find that is impossible. There is no one deviation to find.

And yeah, I make fun of people who think that Eve talked to a Snake, and that all humans began from two humans many years ago. Bible doesn't say where the brothers wives came from. Eve was the only recorded woman for a long time, where did all of the other people come from. Then to enforce that view in school, because of some tie to a religious metaphorical story in opposition to a scientific theory that can be tested, seen, and judged, is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies