U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:03 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,586,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Point #1 - While the material sciences are considered by most to be "modern science" .. the reality is, the foundations of mainstream material science is based largely on 17th, 18th and 19th century thought, supposition, and theory. By contrast, the cutting edge science of such disciplines as Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics were born in the 20th and 21st Century, largely due to advances in technology that didn't exist prior. While the material sciences remain the dominant science even today, and pretty much ignores the aforementioned cutting edge science, it does so primarily because Particle Physics, in essence, suggests that matter as we've understood it all along, really doesn't exist. This poses some very fundamental problems for material science, if indeed the matter to which it bases all of it's theories doesn't actually exist. As a champion of truth and scientific fact .. what say you about these cutting edge disciplines which have compiled considerable scientific evidence that what we perceive as matter is in fact, at the sub-atomic level, nothing more than energy, and not solid matter at all?
As a real life, actual materials scientist type, I just can't bring myself to let this level of misinformation stand. Materials science most certainly does not ignore quantum mechanics. The only way that gets ignored is if you don't read anything past the first chapter or so of any decent introductory condensed matter textbook. Quantum mechanics is not only not ignored, it forms the basis for pretty much the entire subject. Particle physics gets mostly ignored because well, materials science isn't generally concerned with quarks and gluons and things on that scale. If color and charm and all that jazz were useful to explain some material properties, then those things would be used.

This speaks to a larger problem with the anti-science crowd. They argue things from a position of complete ignorance. How can one reject evolutionary theory when one's understanding of biology wouldn't be acceptable in a middle school science class? How can one declare the big bang theory an outright lie despite having zero understanding of the evidence or the relevant physics?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

23,425 posts, read 28,280,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
I believe that evolution is the best scientific explanation we have and strongly encourage it to be taught in schools. Though I am religious, I am terrified by the thought of Creationism or Intelligent Design being taught in public schools. I think it is impossible to keep religious influences out of government institutions since it is the basis of many people's ideologies, but that does not mean I think it is acceptable for the government to institutionalize religious beliefs. However, I am also strongly opposed to teaching evolution as an undeniable, proven fact because it is still a developing science.

The truth is that in science we can never undeniably, 100% "prove" anything. What we can say is: "To our knowledge, given the available data analyzed within this margin of error, this is true." Stating that any science is a "fact" is somewhat misleading because, though numbers don't lie, the method of interpretation of said numbers varies considerably depending on the scientist or methodology of their study. One of the most exciting things about any science is that it's a living, constantly changing and developing field where at any moment someone could stumble across an anomaly which revolutionizes everything we think we know! It is my opinion that we sell students short when we treat a subject as interesting as evolution like it is an unquestionable and "proven" law of nature. I am always depressed by people who treat evolution like it is their religion and, therefore, must never be doubted and anyone who questions its doctrine is a "science atheist." It will be a dark day when people's evolution religiosity diminishes it from a thriving science to a dead pseudoscience...
See the post right before yours.

Evolution gets scientifically questioned all the time. It's just that all the evidence continues to support it. It is just as much science as physics. No one even tries to make evolution a religion, so your dire prediction is never going to happen.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,083,160 times
Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM

11,371 posts, read 7,351,233 times

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

8,701 posts, read 11,840,664 times
Falsifiable predictions are a huge component.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,894,578 times
Since Dolphins, Whales and Ravens are intelligent and sociable are they not animals.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

410 posts, read 516,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
Wishful thinking isn't needed. Observation clearly shows that humans are different from animals. Humans are the only living beings with the ability to speak and articulate. Care to explain why evolution only gave us that ability? hmmm Human beings operations are based mainly on emotional states rather than instinctive behavior. Human beings are the only species who feel the need to wear clothing, and feel naked otherwise. Other animals have no problem letting it all hang out. Also, if evolution is true then we should still be evolving. I don't see any evidence of this. Human beings continue to struggle with the same physical limitations and ailments that plagued our ancestors. Our immune systems are not getting stronger, our bodies are not improving through natural selection either. Oh that's right, it's suppose to happen in another million years. How convenient that you can claim a theory is true when there is no way to observe it in action on a grand scale. Let's face it, evolution is a lie.

THIS is what observation shows. If you can't connect the dots there's no one stopping you from sitting a few plays out and thinking real hard about the implications of this graphic.

It would probably be in your best interest at this point...

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,042,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Since Dolphins, Whales and Ravens are intelligent and sociable are they not animals.
Did you mean Dolphins(Miami), Whalers(a defunct hockey team from Hartford), and Ravens(Baltimore)?

They all are and were not animals.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,241,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Appeal to popularity is fallacial.
Appealing to the notion of a vast worldwide consipracy is fallacial, too.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,241,019 times
What bothers me is that atomic theory, quantum mechanics, and the entire standard model of physics are equally as "unprovable" as evolution, yet we don't have religious people fighting to reinstate Aristotlean theories of matter in popular education. Hell, they're more of a threat to Christianity than evolution, for what insane god would make the universe that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies