U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,984,823 times
Reputation: 4547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
lols. Nice link. I've seen it before. Here's what the evolutionists claim from your fossil example. lols.

Eusthenopteron first appears 385 million years ago. It has six radial bones.

Panderichthys, first appearing 380 million years ago, is now believed to have four radial bones.

The Canadian fishopod, Tiktaalik, was found in 375 million year old rock. It's not known how many radial bones it has, because some of the fossil was missing, but it probably had eight. What's important here though is that Tiktaalik has a complex 'wrist joint," which was claimed to help it walk on land.

Ichthyostega has been found in rocks "dated" at 367 to 362.5 million years old. Because the front flipper/foot was not found, it is not known how many radial bones (if any) it may have had, nor if it had a wrist - however, Acanthostega, supposedly 365 million years old, did not have a wrist, and had eight radial bones.

So if we were to follow this fossil sequence, it would appear that the evolution of the finger has been something:

First we evolved six fingers, then in our evolutionary ascent we lost two, then gained four back at Acanthostega. Once on land, the number went back down to four (most amphibians have four toes). Apparently we evolved a complex wrist, only to lose it again at Acanthostega, and then apparently re-evolve it back once the critters got onto land.

And then there is the oldest fossil that "proves" man evolved from another species. The Coelacanth known is from Australia and dated at over 410 million years old. Although only a jawbone has been found, presumably it's at least similar to the other Coelacanths we do know of, which have lots of "radial bones" in its fin!

The Coelacanth has evolved over hundreds of millions of years into... Coelacanths.

There is no proof that one species has turned into another. None.
Here, check it out: Evolution 101. Misconceptions about evolution


To quote:

"MISCONCEPTION: Evolutionary theory is invalid because it is incomplete and cannot give a total explanation for the biodiversity we see around us.

CORRECTION: This misconception stems from a misunderstanding of the nature of scientific theories. All scientific theories (from evolutionary theory to atomic theory) are works in progress. As new evidence is discovered and new ideas are developed, our understanding of how the world works changes and so too do scientific theories. While we don't know everything there is to know about evolution (or any other scientific discipline, for that matter), we do know a great deal about the history of life, the pattern of lineage-splitting through time, and the mechanisms that have caused these changes. And more will be learned in the future.

Evolutionary theory, like any scientific theory, does not yet explain everything we observe in the natural world. However, evolutionary theory does help us understand a wide range of observations (from the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria to the physical match between pollinators and their preferred flowers), does make accurate predictions in new situations (e.g., that treating AIDS patients with a cocktail of medications should slow the evolution of the virus), and has proven itself time and time again in thousands of experiments and observational studies. To date, evolution is the only well-supported explanation for life's diversity. "

 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
 
83 posts, read 70,721 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Of course, humans are special. All humans have these amazingly developed senses of right and wrong, that's why we're always at peace and there's never any crime. That's why there are child molestors and rapists who can't control themselves. That's why there's spree killers. That's why there's so many people who kill themselves every day with their horrible habits that they "can't help"...like smoking, drinking, overeating, etc.


Actually, evil shouldn't exist if evolution is real. If we all have the same developed brains, why does every human being act differently? As far as I know, science has failed to explain why we have serial killers or molesters. Other species? They pretty much all act and do the exact same thing as their peers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post

We act out of instinct and programmed behavior too. You don't think the way we act is programmed by our parents and society? Have you ever been around a 2 year old and seen all the weird things they do? You have to tell them not to eat their boogers or stick their fingers in their butts and smell them. We're more intelligent than all other animals, which is why we're king, but we're still animals nonetheless.

To equate belief in evolution with acceptance of beastiality is a new low for you people though. Wow. Just wow. Cats and snakes are both animals, but they certainly don't mate, so your point is pretty off-the-wall there.

Instinct isn't taught. It is something that is programmed into behavior at birth. A cat isn't taught the instinct to land on its feet, how to hunt, or mark its territory. So why is bestiality morally wrong if we are just another animal?
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
 
Location: texas
9,137 posts, read 6,757,379 times
Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Gravity is unproven? oh boy
All theories are unproven. Conclusions can be made and accepted, but not proven. Even Gravity.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,116,149 times
Reputation: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
lols. Nice link. I've seen it before. Here's what the evolutionists claim from your fossil example. lols.

Eusthenopteron first appears 385 million years ago. It has six radial bones.

Panderichthys, first appearing 380 million years ago, is now believed to have four radial bones.

The Canadian fishopod, Tiktaalik, was found in 375 million year old rock. It's not known how many radial bones it has, because some of the fossil was missing, but it probably had eight. What's important here though is that Tiktaalik has a complex 'wrist joint," which was claimed to help it walk on land.

Ichthyostega has been found in rocks "dated" at 367 to 362.5 million years old. Because the front flipper/foot was not found, it is not known how many radial bones (if any) it may have had, nor if it had a wrist - however, Acanthostega, supposedly 365 million years old, did not have a wrist, and had eight radial bones.

So if we were to follow this fossil sequence, it would appear that the evolution of the finger has been something:

First we evolved six fingers, then in our evolutionary ascent we lost two, then gained four back at Acanthostega. Once on land, the number went back down to four (most amphibians have four toes). Apparently we evolved a complex wrist, only to lose it again at Acanthostega, and then apparently re-evolve it back once the critters got onto land.

And then there is the oldest fossil that "proves" man evolved from another species. The Coelacanth known is from Australia and dated at over 410 million years old. Although only a jawbone has been found, presumably it's at least similar to the other Coelacanths we do know of, which have lots of "radial bones" in its fin!

The Coelacanth has evolved over hundreds of millions of years into... Coelacanths.

There is no proof that one species has turned into another. None.
Maybe we used to have 8 nucleotides making up our DNA, then lost two, gained three, and eventually lost 5, leaving us currently stuck with only 4 nucleotides. Or is DNA a constant, and can never evolve?
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,819,967 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
All theories are unproven. Conclusions can be made and accepted, but not proven. Even Gravity.
Something cannot become a scientific theory, however, without a virtual mountain of evidence.

Which both gravity and evolution have.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,505,611 times
Reputation: 4884
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So if we were to follow this fossil sequence, it would appear that the evolution of the finger has been something:

First we evolved six fingers, then in our evolutionary ascent we lost two, then gained four back at Acanthostega. Once on land, the number went back down to four (most amphibians have four toes). Apparently we evolved a complex wrist, only to lose it again at Acanthostega, and then apparently re-evolve it back once the critters got onto land.
Which sounds about right. During those millions of year differences, we're talking different environments and thus different adaptations needed to survive. We're not talking about these changes happening during the course of a 70-80 year old human lifetime, but rather millions of years.

Even humans have changed in bone structure. Humans today are vastly different from Lucy.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
 
1,186 posts, read 1,341,153 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
Actually, evil shouldn't exist if evolution is real. If we all have the same developed brains, why does every human being act differently? As far as I know, science has failed to explain why we have serial killers or molesters. Other species? They pretty much all act and do the exact same thing as their peers.
Bwuh? My high strung rat terrier and in-law's low key golden retriever would beg to differ with you on other species being homogeneous in their behavior.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,984,823 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Something cannot become a scientific theory, however, without a virtual mountain of evidence.

Which both gravity and evolution have.

^^That.^^
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Of course! The book which asserts the crazy theory of creationism supports the theory of creationism! What a shocker!

Can you prove anything from the bible without using the bible as your evidence?
You can't say that god exists because the book told you so.

You do realize that the Bible was written by men hundreds of years ago and it has no basis in fact, right?

The Bible was not written by god and is not an exact account of the entire universe. The fact that you actually typed that is sad...
All I did was pick up a Bible and read the passage about the creation of the earth and animals. And said I saw nothing in there that suggested evolution happened. I also said I'm not a Biblical expert.

I never claimed it was true.

And I never claimed God wrote the Bible or that it was an exact account of the entire universe. Never even implied it. The fact that you actually think I did is sad.

P.S. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you get to go around telling others what there beliefs should be. It's rude.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,432,328 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Which came first, the router or the gateway? I've always leaned towards the later.
*chuckle*

That is going way back...

I think it would be a router though. The first type of router was the IMP's (initially four were used) with ARPANET which used NCP. So, naturally without protocol exchanges, you simply have basic routing. It wasn't until later different protocols were added and you had gateway devices that specifically attended to this translation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top