U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,512,146 times
Reputation: 4884

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
P.S. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you get to go around telling others what there beliefs should be. It's rude.
And just because some people believe in G-d doesn't mean that they get to go around dictating what can and can't be taught in public schools based upon those beliefs.

 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,696,772 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Something cannot become a scientific theory, however, without a virtual mountain of evidence.

Which both gravity and evolution have.
Newton's theory of gravity has lots of evidence. It even put rockets in outerspace. It's wrong however, or Einstein's general theory of relativity replaced it. Now scientists say Newton's theory,and all the evidence, was just an approximation. The important point to take away from it is how we thought of gravity was completely flipped on head when Einstein rolled in. Just because the theories give very similar predictions in a small domain doesn't make them anything alike.

In other words, there can be bountiful heaps of evidence and it still can be wrong. Currently there are things out there that Einstein's general theory can't explain. But scientists will continue attaching reality to that theory until another theory comes in and explains it.

People use the word evolution very sloppily. I'm pretty sure you're not fully aware of the scientific theory part and the natural history part and the just-so story part.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,991,464 times
Reputation: 4547
And evolution doesn't prove that God doesn't exist, nor does it even apply to that issue. Nor does discrediting the theory of evolution prove that God exists. The existence of God is a faith-based belief that can never be proven or disproven.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,440,502 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Something cannot become a scientific theory, however, without a virtual mountain of evidence.

Which both gravity and evolution have.
You need consistency of results. That is, that testing must consistently provide the same result to which that hypothesis explains. That or if there is any divergence, that must be explained through similar process. If such is achieved and replicated consistently according to the assumptions of that hypothesis, then... yes... you achieve a scientific theory.

So, do the theories achieve such? Are there any untested, unexplained, or divergence results within them? If so, they are not scientifically validated.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,824,202 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Newton's theory of gravity has lots of evidence. It even put rockets in outerspace. It's wrong however, or Einstein's general theory of relativity replaced it. Now scientists say Newton's theory,and all the evidence, was just an approximation.
SCIENCE



Quote:
In other words, there can be bountiful heaps of evidence and it still can be wrong. Currently there are things out there that Einstein's general theory can't explain.
Absolutely. That's why science is an ever changing prospect, and there are no absolute facts when it comes to explanations. The scientific theory, however, is as close to fact as it gets.

Quote:
People use the word evolution very sloppily.
Such as idiots who apply evolution to abiogenesis/big bang theory and think that you can't teach one without teaching the other.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're not fully aware of the scientific theory part and the natural history part and the just-so story part.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,170,584 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
And just because some people believe in G-d doesn't mean that they get to go around dictating what can and can't be taught in public schools based upon those beliefs.
You're right they can't dictate it.

But as taxpayers that support schools they have every right to go to a school board meeting and make suggestions.

Just like an atheist is allowed to go and say they don't want Creationism taught based on his beliefs.

So, are you for suppression of speech rights in totality or only when you don't agree with someone.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 9,029,118 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with teaching evolution as a theory, along with creation as a theory. Neither should be taught as proven fact, because both are unproveable.
Evolution is testable by observation. E.g. Hawaiian Finches, The MSU E-Coli experiment. Creationism depends on an untestable, irrebuttable presumption of the existence of the Abrahamic God.

Essential something needs to be subject to empirical testing to be good science.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,178 posts, read 1,696,772 times
Reputation: 368
I know that there a lot of young people posting here, but when you post in pictures and gifs, I completely miss your point. Talk to me like a man, not like a teenager.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,824,202 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You need consistency of results. That is, that testing must consistently provide the same result to which that hypothesis explains. That or if there is any divergence, that must be explained through similar process. If such is achieved and replicated consistently according to the assumptions of that hypothesis, then... yes... you achieve a scientific theory.


Quote:
So, do the theories achieve such?
Regarding evolution, yes.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,598,790 times
Reputation: 27566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And evolution doesn't prove that God doesn't exist, nor does it even apply to that issue. Nor does discrediting the theory of evolution prove that God exists. The existence of God is a faith-based belief that can never be proven or disproven.
I agree. Why is that that religious schools have no problem separating the two and teaching both in their respective subject areas yet public schools are rife with "issues" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top