U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,792,010 times
Reputation: 2170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I know that there a lot of young people posting here, but when you post in pictures and gifs, I completely miss your point. Talk to me like a man, not like a teenager.

 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,792,010 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. Why is that that religious schools have no problem separating the two and teaching both in their respective subject areas yet public schools are rife with "issues" ?
That whole sticky area of "you cannot teach religion as science in public schools".

Which should never, ever change.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,451,695 times
Reputation: 4884
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You're right they can't dictate it.

But as taxpayers that support schools they have every right to go to a school board meeting and make suggestions.

Just like an atheist is allowed to go and say they don't want Creationism taught based on his beliefs.

So, are you for suppression of speech rights in totality or only when you don't agree with someone.
I'm for suppressing any and all religions from influencing government entities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree. Why is that that religious schools have no problem separating the two and teaching both in their respective subject areas yet public schools are rife with "issues" ?
Because religious schools are allowed to teach their associated religion. A public school cannot and should not ever teach religion (of any flavor) as fact.

Teaching about the religion can be done in an appropriate class, but interjecting religious beliefs into things like a science class is a concept left to those without the capacity to think for themselves.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,981,045 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The 'Big Bang Theory' is another scientific theory with little to no way to reasonably test it. Looking around the sky and seeing that everything is redshifted around you is not what I consider very convincing.
We can test the big bang theory since there is still observable light from that time. Everything about the big bang theory except to its exact start has been essentially proven by observation and physics.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
 
39,959 posts, read 24,192,455 times
Reputation: 12545
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You're right they can't dictate it.

But as taxpayers that support schools they have every right to go to a school board meeting and make suggestions.

Just like an atheist is allowed to go and say they don't want Creationism taught based on his beliefs.

So, are you for suppression of speech rights in totality or only when you don't agree with someone.
The "suppression of speech rights" has nothing to do with this. Evolution is a SCIENTIFIC theory. Creationism is a RELIGIOUS belief. RELIGION ain't SCIENCE. You teach SCIENCE in SCIENCE classes. You teach RELIGION elsewhere.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,166,905 times
Reputation: 27563
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
That whole sticky area of "you cannot teach religion as science in public schools".

Which should never, ever change.
And that should not even be an issue in public schools. There is no religion in public schools except as an academic study.

You have religious schools and religious education through the various churches where that is taught.
Tell these politicians on a mission and they need to be stopped dead in their tracks before they get too far.

You have more "religious" issues in public school than in a religious school.
I went to Catholic school. I had religion class and learned all about "God created....". I had science class where we learned about Darwin and evolution. I also had a world religion class where we learned about the different religions around the world, their founders, their practices and common threads among all religions.

And this was in a religious school. I'm coming to appreciate that I had a more worldly, OBJECTIVE education in a religious school than in a public school.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,792,010 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that should not even be an issue in public schools. There is no religion in public schools except as an academic study.

You have religious schools and religious education through the various churches where that is taught.
Tell these politicians on a mission and they need to be stopped dead in their tracks before they get too far.
Then we are in agreement, and I probably misunderstood the intent of your original post that I quoted, and if so, I apologize.

Note: I have no issue with religion working with evolution, I just have issue with religion being taught as a replacement of evolution.
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,519 posts, read 7,744,423 times
Reputation: 13237
"What's wrong with teaching evolution in public school?"
I have no problem with it at all, as long as HUMAN evolution is taught as THEORY, not fact.
The evolution of plants and OTHER animals has been shown to be fairly factual. In fact, it is still going on to a certain degree.
However, HUMAN evolution, while there seems to be SOME evidence of it, remains somewhat questionable.
For example, if humans evolved on this planet, why is the radiation from the Sun deadly to so many? Why did the human genome apparently stop evolving? Why don't we have more resistance to the plants and microbes that are present all around us? Why is the intelligence of humanity apparently DEvolving? (problem solving skills and common sense are increasingly rare!)

"
Evolution is a SCIENTIFIC theory. Creationism is a RELIGIOUS belief."

Actually, that could be expanded to read:
Evolution is a FAITH-BASED SCIENTIFIC theory. Creationism is a FAITH-BASED RELIGIOUS belief."
Seems to me there is a VERY fine line between a "theory" and a "belief". People have FAITH in both!

Last edited by Redraven; 03-13-2013 at 10:24 AM..
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,792,010 times
Reputation: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have no problem with it at all, as long as HUMAN evolution is taught as THEORY, not fact.


It....is? lrn2scientifictheory
 
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,166,905 times
Reputation: 27563
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Then we are in agreement, and I probably misunderstood the intent of your original post that I quoted, and if so, I apologize.

Note: I have no issue with religion working with evolution, I just have issue with religion being taught as a replacement of evolution.
That's just it..religion is NOT a replacement for science. The two are distinct and separate.

I recall in HS we did discuss the two in religion class and how to correlate them just using logic.
It was quite easy...one day in the Bible could have represented thousands of years. God created man but maybe not in his final form and that happened over thousands of years as well. Creation in the Bible is described in general terms and can be interpreted a number of ways.

That discussion in school tied our religious beliefs with that of science so there need not be a "choice" of what to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top