U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM

7,371 posts, read 4,640,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why do you insist on trying to make two things, which are actually the same thing, orthogonal? You're drawing a distinction where there isn't one, just so you can try to divide up what you wish to accept from what you wish to reject.
I don't agree with what he's saying, but I do see what his point is. A moth may change from a white colored moth to a black colored moth but it is still a moth. It doesn't become a lizard or a rat. He's just saying there are limits to evolution. That organisms may change characteristics due to natural selection but it'll die out before it evolves into an entirely different form of life. Like I said, I don't actually agree with him. But I do see it as a distinction that is logical.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,430,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There is are scientific papers and numerous presentations on it some of which are available on line if you are genuinely interested. I also suspect that since the person in the article is a Ph.D. he has a dissertation available if you would like to track it down.

Meaningless. Appeal to authority. Ones title does not validate a given position in science. There are numerous papers as well of scientists who were shown wrong throughout history, some of them with such great minds that I think it would be safe to say that the above P.H.D couldn't even qualify as an assistant.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:50 AM

40,115 posts, read 24,369,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The question is if the hypothesis has been validated, or simply assumed as such due to a lack of better explanation. It might be a reasonable hypothesis, but without verification and validation of it through proper testing, it is simply an assumption based on various means.

Are there "problems" with evolution? Issues it can't explain, it can't validate within the confines of its hypothesis? If it can't then it does not meet the qualifications of a scientifically valid theory, though it may be "loose term" a "reasonable theory" in itself.
Certainly there are problems with evolution. It seeks to explain a complex biological process that spans millenia, so we are constantly coming across new information that the theory has to address. But the theory of evolution does a good job of explaining the information that we currently have.

The difference is that religion doesn't conform to the facts, like a scientific theory does, religion expects the facts to conform to the religion. Since religion doesn't look like science, doesn't act like science, doesn't respond to new information like science, it's not science. And shouldn't be taught as science.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

35,271 posts, read 19,307,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The anti-science people will never accept this. Ever.

They claim they want to see something that, by their own absurd and nonsensical requirements and definitions, couldn't possibly exist.

The fossil record is clear. Few species alive today have direct ancestors from the distant past. But all current species have plenty of common genes from the far distant past. We humans share an amazing genetic commonality with yeast.

Model organisms: Yeast | The Human Genome

Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
See there you go again. That is beyond the scope of the theory of evolution. You're focusing on the origin of life/'macro' evolution which are not actual scientific theories but more so natural history.

The theory of evolution can survive that discovery. It would cast a lot of dents in the origin of life, macro evolution synopsis.

Sorry you didn't understand my post.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM

40,115 posts, read 24,369,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Most of the people on this thread just believe in these theories because they were taught in school. Not a lot of critical thought went into anything.
Unintentional irony.

Science is all about critical thinking.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,662,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The fossil record is clear. Few species alive today have direct ancestors from the distant past.
What about species that remained through out millions of years?

...Species like the Ginko tree and the Shark?

3,178 posts, read 1,694,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Sorry you didn't understand my post.
I did understand it, I'm saying you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Depends on if what is confirmed is what is simply sought.
As in theological "research."

Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM

3,178 posts, read 1,694,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Unintentional irony.

Science is all about critical thinking.
It doesn't take critical thinking to learn what someone teaches you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies