U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,665,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
To actually believe that DNA came into existence my random mixing of raw material is THE most idiotic idea ever accepted by the human mind. And that's really saying something, given the endless list of stupid crap some people believe is true.

The very notion of this would be like believing you could put computer keyboards in front of 100 monkeys and they could randomly bang on those keyboards, churning out endless lines of text gibberish .. and all you would have to do is wait long enough, and the ultimate result would be a functional microsoft operating system, with all of it's office automation programs too, and for good measure, the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, cataloged and indexed .... that, multiplied by 1000 ... since the DNA code is far more complex than any computer program ever written.
But that's what the universe really is. A bunch of molecules and atoms bonding and smashing into each other.

Across infinite space, for billions of years.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM

20,368 posts, read 13,891,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Let's do even better than that, since everything must be created, let's ask him who or what created God where did God exist prior to creating the universe?
The same questions go unanswered about what caused the big bang, what existed before it that caused it. So if people make fun, and ask where did god come from, they are throwing stones in a glass house.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
No, a federal court ruled on the issue. That settles it.
The church ruled on it, it is so.

Hmm... wait, it wasn't the church, but it acts like the church, and well... humm.... Where have I heard such before?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM

23,440 posts, read 28,306,241 times
Quote:
You post this tripe from the same tripe factory that I reject as pure garbage and double talk, and you're gonna be surprised if I HIGHLIGHT THE NONSENSE PART? Come on .. get real. Why do you even go there with me anymore? You should know by now it's not going to fly!!

POINT: The two types of Rhagoletis now exist in the Hudson River valley—one that feeds on apples and one that feeds on hawthorns—may be on their way to becoming distinct species.

One bug that learned or found it necessary to expand it's diet to include a second type of fruit, doesn't constitute a change in freaking species , and it's an absurd load of nonsense to even make the insinuation. That's probably the reason for the qualifier "may be on the way" ... which avoids the outright lie were they to have said "is on the way". This type of double talk might work on the very unsophisticated audience to whcih such nonsense is obviously targeting ... but don't insult me with it.

If you have one kid that likes twinkies and the other than likes cupcakes ... they're still the same species. If you had one in the hospital and the other in the back of the cab on the way to the hospital ... they are still the same species.
I believe your point was that new species never develop. The fruit flies are an example of species evolving. If they evolve to the point that they do not interbreed, then they become separate species. Q.E.D.

Evolution 101: Speciation

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,095,784 times
As a matter of law, yes it does settle it. No "creationism" in public schools.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM

26,760 posts, read 17,366,238 times
Quote:
I'm glad you clarified what the true point of debate is ... lots of your double talking associates strenuously insist that evolution doesn't even talk about the origin of life. This supports my earlier remark about how difficult it is to debate you evolutionists, because the story changes moment to moment.

Now ... show us where evolution has defined and proven how life came into existence, okay? Of course, that is a rhetorical question because evolution hasn't and can't explain it .. which is why evolution cannot be used to disprove either creation or intelligent design, which, by the way, are two totally separate theories.
Okay, allow me to rephrase..."life as we know it" which IMO means how life evolved to the point as it is now.

Also, it is the same people that deny evolution that insist that life was created by intelligent design...are they not?

Quote:
God did not create the universe and the “Big Bang” was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In “The Grand Design,” co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking writes.

“It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going.”

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book “A Brief History of Time,” an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.
“God Did Not Create The Universe” Says “World’s Smartest Man” Pat Dollard

Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,052,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Which creation theory should we teach? Judeo-Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist?

There are more than one.
Why teach creation?

My stance is that neither evolution or creationism should be taught in public schools.

Schools should teach natural history(biology without evolution) and leave the controversial stuff for elective courses of study(college).

Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,665,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why teach creation?

My stance is that neither evolution or creationism should be taught in public schools.

Schools should teach natural history(biology without evolution) and leave the controversial stuff for elective courses of study(college).
What about...

...adaptation and selective breeding.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM

23,440 posts, read 28,306,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Where did DNA come from?
Researchers Find Evidence Of DNA Building Blocks In Space | Geekosystem

Evolution 101: From Soup to Cells - the Origin of Life

Then there's this:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-life-science/

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM

9,105 posts, read 5,618,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But that's what the universe really is. A bunch of molecules and atoms bonding and smashing into each other.

Across infinite space, for billions of years.

Says who?

Some rather obscure character from the modern technological miracle period of the 1800's ? A guy, whose peers at the time also ridiculed his ideas, with news paper articles depicting Darwin's head on a monkey's body?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies