U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
 
26,512 posts, read 17,292,800 times
Reputation: 10412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I learned about communism in school.
Being taught that a concept exists is way different than being taught that it is to be applied. I was taught about Greek and Roman Mythology in school, but it was never taught that this stuff was true. Creationists want this hooey taught as fact.

 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
 
26,512 posts, read 17,292,800 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
God throwing a hissy fit?
I thought that is what thunder and lightening were...
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
 
10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Being taught that a concept exists is way different than being taught that it is to be applied. I was taught about Greek and Roman Mythology in school, but it was never taught that this stuff was true. Creationists want this hooey taught as fact.
I think you should tailor the teaching to what people are prepared for, just like you don't teach algebra to a 3rd grader. At one age, it can be "these people believe x because ________ and these people believe Y because ________." When people get to be older, I'm fine with a more in-depth coverage of all beliefs. When they are old enough to take electives, they should be able to pick among and array of things that interest them. When I was in college, I took a class called Politics of the Soviet Union out of interest and it was not taught by McCarthy and I'm not a communist today.

By the way, the people you say want it taught as fact are just another example of what I'm talking about - just supporting a different theory from yours.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,025,828 times
Reputation: 6128
Evolution is false.

End of story.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
22,883 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Reputation: 12797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolution is false.

End of story.
Prove it.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
 
26,512 posts, read 17,292,800 times
Reputation: 10412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think you should tailor the teaching to what people are prepared for, just like you don't teach algebra to a 3rd grader. At one age, it can be "these people believe x because ________ and these people believe Y because ________." When people get to be older, I'm fine with a more in-depth coverage of all beliefs. When they are old enough to take electives, they should be able to pick among and array of things that interest them. When I was in college, I took a class called Politics of the Soviet Union out of interest and it was not taught by McCarthy and I'm not a communist today.

By the way, the people you say want it taught as fact are just another example of what I'm talking about - just supporting a different theory from yours.
Sorry, but as I have stated in previous posts, Creationism should be taught in religious institutions as it always has been. There is no way to teach it in public schools without teaching it as a from of Mythology.

I don't know where the link is but the USA ranks only second from the bottom behind Turkey for the belief in Creationism. The nation is being dumbed down enough and to teach Creationism with the same importance that science is taught is ridiculous.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County, CA
29,124 posts, read 22,025,828 times
Reputation: 6128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Prove it.
Why don't you prove that the theory of evolution is valid?
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:24 AM
 
9,665 posts, read 8,655,720 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think you should tailor the teaching to what people are prepared for, just like you don't teach algebra to a 3rd grader.
And that's the problem with American math education. You don't begin to teach algebra early enough.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM
 
2,836 posts, read 3,093,119 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why don't you prove that the theory of evolution is valid?

It's been proven, over and over again. Where have you been with you nose stuck in the Bible? Wake up and smell the roses.
 
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
 
10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
And that's the problem with American math education. You don't begin to teach algebra early enough.
Off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top