U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,025,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
It's been proven, over and over again.
No it hasn't.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,655,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Off topic.
It's not off topic.

...Take a process such as breeding, and apply it over a million generations. Will the organism that started at the beginning match the one at the end?

For instance, take bacteria. Over generations, you can make super bacteria and use it as a biological weapon.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,025,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
And that's the problem with American math education. You don't begin to teach algebra early enough.
Simple algebra should be integrated into elementary school curriculums, but I wouldn't go full bore in the 3rd grade.

I do agree that students should be ready to learn algebra by the 7th grade.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

10,543 posts, read 12,009,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but as I have stated in previous posts, Creationism should be taught in religious institutions as it always has been. There is no way to teach it in public schools without teaching it as a from of Mythology.

I don't know where the link is but the USA ranks only second from the bottom behind Turkey for the belief in Creationism. The nation is being dumbed down enough and to teach Creationism with the same importance that science is taught is ridiculous.
We already teach social studies and sociology specifically.

sociology (ss-l-j, -sh-)
n.
1. The study of human social behavior, especially the study of the origins, organization, institutions, and development of human society.
2. Analysis of a social institution or societal segment as a self-contained entity or in relation to society as a whole.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM

26,540 posts, read 17,292,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No it hasn't.
Well...when one is closed minded and has tunnel vision due to lifelong indoctrination...I supppose that would appear to be the case...

Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM

23,402 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There are very, very few fundamentalists.

How does evolution in any way threaten my religious beliefs?

I am a Roman Catholic.....I believe in evolution. I also believe in creation.

Once again, something cannot evolve if it were never created.

Lefties fear the teaching of creationism (which BTW, 80% of the humans on the planet believe) because they fear that religion may overcome peoples belief in the state as their God.

That's why religion is banned and churches, mosques and temples are destroyed in communist nations.

Verifiable, documented proof is very easy to find.
The issue is not really belief in creationism. It is denial of evolution and the attempt to get creationism into our schools as "science". Calling it "intelligent design" is just a ploy.

The US actually has a higher rate of evolution denial than just about any other developed country.

Public Acceptance of Evolution - Science Magazine, Jon D. Miller, Eugenie C. Scott, Shinji Okamoto - RichardDawkins.net

You are welcome to your religious belief, but creationism has no more place in a science curriculum in our schools than teaching of any other religious belief.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM

12,770 posts, read 9,836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but as I have stated in previous posts, Creationism should be taught in religious institutions as it always has been. There is no way to teach it in public schools without teaching it as a from of Mythology.

I don't know where the link is but the USA ranks only second from the bottom behind Turkey for the belief in Creationism. The nation is being dumbed down enough and to teach Creationism with the same importance that science is taught is ridiculous.
Creationism simply suggests an outside entity, science has many mysteries that defy explanation. If they cannot explain Stonehenge or how they built the pyramids, or crop circles, how is that same science going to explain our creation? It is not.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,655,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Creationism simply suggests an outside entity, science has many mysteries that defy explanation. If they cannot explain Stonehenge or how they built the pyramids, or crop circles, how is that same science going to explain our creation? It is not.
So what does explain our creation?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM

30,875 posts, read 31,754,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why don't you prove that the theory of evolution is valid?
The fossil record provides snapshots of the past that, when assembled, illustrate a panorama of evolutionary change over the past four billion years. The picture may be smudged in places and may have bits missing, but fossil evidence clearly shows that life is old and has changed over time.

Evolutionary theory predicts that related organisms will share similarities that are derived from common ancestors. Similar characteristics due to relatedness are known as homologies. Homologies can be revealed by comparing the anatomies of different living things, looking at cellular similarities and differences, studying embryological development, and studying vestigial structures within individual organisms.

Understanding the history of life on Earth requires a grasp of the depth of time and breadth of space. We must keep in mind that the time involved is vast compared to a human lifetime and the space necessary for this to occur includes all the water and land surfaces of the world. Establishing chronologies, both relative and absolute, and geographic change over time are essential for viewing the motion picture that is the history of life on Earth.

Although the history of life is always in the past, there are many ways we can look at present-day organisms, as well as recent history, to better understand what has occurred through deep time. Artificial selection in agriculture or laboratories provides a model for natural selection. Looking at interactions of organisms in ecosystems helps us to understand how populations adapt over time. Experiments demonstrate selection and adaptive advantage. And we can see nested hierarchies in taxonomies based on common descent. Lines of evidence: The science of evolution

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 AM

23,402 posts, read 28,242,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe the universe was always here.

Maybe the universe is eternal.

If so, it wouldn't need a creator.
Dr. Stephen Hawking would agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies