Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but as I have stated in previous posts, Creationism should be taught in religious institutions as it always has been. There is no way to teach it in public schools without teaching it as a from of Mythology.
There is no scientific explanation for the existence of reality. Teaching Genesis as literal history is mythology. But presenting the general idea that there is no rational explanation for why anything at all exists in the first place, why there should be Something instead of Nothing, and saying perhaps there is some force that exists outside of reality which created it isn't mythology. If you invent a particular attribute and assign it to the creative force or a particular story for how and why the force did it, it moves into the realm of mythology.

Creationism and Intelligent Design as general concepts aren't mythology, but Christian groups add the particulars of their religion to them and make mythology out of them in the process.

Quote:
I don't know where the link is but the USA ranks only second from the bottom behind Turkey for the belief in Creationism. The nation is being dumbed down enough and to teach Creationism with the same importance that science is taught is ridiculous.
No more ridiculous than having college level classes in patriarchy or critical theory. The same person who says it's inappropriate to teach the Bible will then step into a classroom and teach that all of history is based on racism. Not that it includes racism among many other things, but that racism is the defining characteristic of human history and motivating force behind the course it has taken. Now, some purely intellectual people I've seen are simply against anything that isn't rational and scientific. Christopher Hitchens, for example. But most people who are against religion appear, when you really get down to it, to be against it because it competes with their own irrational ideas and simply use science as a cover.

Note - I'm not making an accusation of anyone in particular on C-D, I'm just commenting in general.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The argument isn't about teaching students about creationism. The argument is about teaching creationism as if it were a scientific theory. Creationism isn't a scientific theory. It has no place in the science classroom.
Neither evolution or creationism should be taught in public schools.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Microevolution is much different than macroevolution.

No one seriously disputes that microevolution takes place - but there is no hard evidence that macroevolution occurred or occurs.
What's micro-evolution multiplied by at least a million generations?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
As I said, to teach that it exists as a belief system that is impossible to prove in a scientific way (such as Mythology), but NOT as fact and certainly not to give it the credits that a science/biology/chemistry class has in the public school curiculum. If someone wants their kids to learn Creationism as fact, they need to send them to parochial school or homeschool them.
My tax dollars should not be used to teach a fairy tale - evolution.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
That perfectly describes evolutionists.
You are exactly 180 degrees out of sync with fact.

Evolution(ists) exists because they have opened their eyes and esxamined the facts of nature, which, when quantified, are called "evolution". Other facts of nature are known as "geology" or "astronomy" or "physics".

Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:

No one seriously disputes that microevolution takes place - but there is no hard evidence that macroevolution occurred or occurs.
Fossils.

DNA research.

Here's the thing, in order to believe what you believe, you have to dismiss this evidence. Which you do.

Science, the theory of evolution, has to address this evidence. Which it does.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
My tax dollars should not be used to teach a fairy tale - evolution.
It is sad that you object, in such silly terms, to the teaching of this aspect of nature.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Partial capitulation to the facts of nature. Soon, you will accept fully the facts of nature we call evolution.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:55 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
I don't know where the link is but the USA ranks only second from the bottom behind Turkey for the belief in Creationism. The nation is being dumbed down enough and to teach Creationism with the same importance that science is taught is ridiculous.
Public Acceptance of Evolution - Science Magazine, Jon D. Miller, Eugenie C. Scott, Shinji Okamoto - RichardDawkins.net

Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The argument isn't about teaching students about creationism. The argument is about teaching creationism as if it were a scientific theory. Creationism isn't a scientific theory. It has no place in the science classroom.
The original question for the thread was about why we shouldn't teach evolution. I was taught evolution in school (in science) and have no problem with it being taught. I also have no problem with kids being exposed to religions in school. I would agree that those are not promoting scientific study as a religion (though they don't oppose it in general) and should be in a different category. I think they should all be taught as they are, and when a kid asks a question about anything that has yet to be proven, that the answer should be provided as such and stating that this is what these people think/believe - including the scientists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies