Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Okay, does it only go one way? Like a tree into a dog? Or can only amoeba evolve into dogs?
Dogs evolved from monster trucks.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I just picked up the Bible and read the part about God creating the earth.

He says he created species. Nothing I saw would suggest evolution.

I admit, I'm not a Bible expert either.
Of course! The book which asserts the crazy theory of creationism supports the theory of creationism! What a shocker!

Can you prove anything from the bible without using the bible as your evidence?
You can't say that god exists because the book told you so.

You do realize that the Bible was written by men hundreds of years ago and it has no basis in fact, right?

The Bible was not written by god and is not an exact account of the entire universe. The fact that you actually typed that is sad...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The snake was a euphemism for the DNA strand.
So were Cain and Abel just having sex with their mother, or their sisters they didn't list? What euphemism was listed there?

Its a stupid, metaphorical study that has nothing to do with reality. Ancient biblical figures didn't understand DNA anymore then they understood atomic theory. Just like the story of the exodus, can be explained scientifically and by knowing that there were misinterpretation of the language and the story over time. Same thing with Noah.

There is no theory that adequately explains how life began, how the first amino acid formed into a single celled organism. There are scientific theories to explain this, including asteroids and comets bringing the material here. We may all be evolved from creatures that evolved somewhere else.

But teaching creationsim, or banning evolution as saying this is how humans came to being, because of a religious story is silly.

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Anyone who equates the Theory of Evolution to attempts at explaining the origin of life is really just saying "I don't understand basic English or Science, nor do I have the capacity or willingness to use Google".
Just look at where all the debates are happening on this forum. It's not if a bacterium can evolve to be resistant to antibiotics it's if a specie can evolve into a different specie but more generally, the origin of life.

Why does the origin of life need to be taught in schools when it's basically a pure, just-so story?

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
One celled trucks though, right?

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
There is a diference between a hypothesis, an axiom, and a postulate.

Evolution is an unproven, but by hypothesis and the scientic method, the theory moves forward or is challaenged.

Gravity is unproven; but is an axiom [with obsevation of results] that is accepted by most as true.

Creationism is unproven, but postulated to be correct and true with no further debate or scientific investigation need.
Gravity is unproven? oh boy

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The theory of relativity has nothing to do with the A-bomb. The theory of relativity depending on how it's used is about how one can go about and "add" velocities (when light is supposedly the fastest speed, in vacuum) or a more general description of gravity (acceleration and gravity are the same). You're thinking of E = mC^2 or better yet E^2 = m^2C^4 + p^2C^2 but even that only gives the theoretical maximum energy that can be released from breaking on atomic bond, not the mechanism. The mechanism is a study in quantum physics and chemistry which Einstein was not a part of.

Anyways, to answer your question, I'm fully aware of something I choose to believe and something I "know." You choose to believe evolution. be honest, you couldn't (without google) even properly articulate the theory, you just believe it.
Actually the equation of Energy = Mass x the speed of light squared is the very basis for the atomic bomb.

From E=mc² to the atomic bomb — Einstein Online

Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post

And cats evolved from Barbie dolls.

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
I don't know if a dog evolves into a tree, but...

...A mammal can lay eggs.

http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/ar...a1842_1839.jpg

...A slug can can use sunlight.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wi...n_sea_slug.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 03:17 PM..

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually the equation of Energy = Mass x the speed of light squared is the very basis for the atomic bomb.

From E=mc² to the atomic bomb — Einstein Online
No it's not. That's lazy physics. The idea for the atom bomb existed long before that equation. All that equation does is a shorthand maximum limit on the amount of energy released. It's napkin calculating in other words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies