Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,055,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
Becuase you do not have non-disputable evidence that shows direct and complete connection to this ancestor. Therefore, it's not fact. Furthermore, evolution fails to explain why humans are the only species to develop complex language, the ability to speak, play music and so on. I find it degrading to teach that I'm nothing more than an animal and you have proven it as fact.
I find it amusing to examine the absoute double-standard "deceivers" apply.

To scientific fact, they apply a "non-disputable" absoute standard,

while they, lacking any evidence whatsoever that their domatic beliefs are true, cast that standard aside and believe whatever evidenceless drivel their religion tells them to believe so as to achieve immortality.

Such intellectual dishonesty is rarely found, much less trumpeted.

It is truly chilling, and a bit scary.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,885,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
The soul isn't "eternal" is is "mythological". Science has discovered atoms, and indeed protons, neutrons and electrons, and, recently, sub-atomic particles, yet with all of our sophisticated sensores, nary of tendril of evidence of sould has ever been uncovered. It if existed, we would "see" evidence of it.

Face mortality and accept it. Doing anything, including "living", forever would be a torment beyond description.
Actually "science" didn't discover those particles - they have always existed since God created them.

I will trade you two muons for a neutrino.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't suppose anything about the soul.

And if you are positing an afterlife, and the soul is the repository of that afterlife, then it's either going somewhere, or it's hanging nebulously, with no purpose, no intention, nothingness. I'm pretty sure that you don't believe you die and your soul is consigned to nothingness.
Afterlife Shmafterlife. Get a grip old boy. There is no soul. You've been brainwashed.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:38 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,714,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
Becuase you do not have non-disputable evidence that shows direct and complete connection to this ancestor. Therefore, it's not fact. Furthermore, evolution fails to explain why humans are the only species to develop complex language, the ability to speak, play music and so on. I find it degrading to teach that I'm nothing more than an animal and you have proven it as fact.
I'm nothing more than an animal. A primate. With the ability to walk upright, and opposable thumbs, and a really, really big brain. I'm not the only species to develop complex language. Whale song appears to be a complex language, and it's possible that many other species have complex communication, but as I'm not a member of those species I'm unaware of the levels of communication. Many other species "speak" to one another. We just don't understand what's being said. Other species have been shown to create tools.

As a human being, I'm exceptionally adept at changing my environment to suit my needs and desires. I'm not so adept at appreciating how those changes impact other species, for good or for bad. I certainly don't feel the least bit degraded for acknowledging that I'm not exceptional in every way.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,885,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
As a human being, I'm exceptionally adept at changing my environment to suit my needs and desires. I'm not so adept at appreciating how those changes impact other species, for good or for bad. I certainly don't feel the least bit degraded for acknowledging that I'm not exceptional in every way.
You contradicted yourself by simply posting what you typed.

If you can articulate that you aren't adept at appreciating the impact of changes, than you can and do have an appreciation.

That is part of what makes us people and not animals.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

565 posts, read 484,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
My tax dollars should not be used to teach a fairy tale - evolution.

I am completely on your side.

1 + 1 = 3

No one ever will convince me off the contrary.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Afterlife Shmafterlife. Get a grip old boy. There is no soul. You've been brainwashed.
There may be an afterlife. There may be a soul. There may be a god. I don't know that none of these things exist, and if it gives others comfort to believe in these things, then I have no issue with that. As a human being, we all seek comfort, we all want to feel safe, we all want to feel that we have a purpose. Each of us as individuals must find our own resources, our own reality, that gives us these things.

Fossils and DNA and even direct observation (in the case of bacteria and viruses) are all evidence of evolution. It's foolish to deny that such evidence exists. To debate what the evidence means is science. To search for new evidence is science. To teach how to search for and how to debate the evidence is science. But to deny the evidence is irrational, to me. And to want to teach such denial as science is irrational. Science belongs in the science classroom. Religion belongs elsewhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

If you can articulate that you aren't adept at appreciating the impact of changes, than you can and do have an appreciation.

What you are saying makes no sense at all. Of course we are animals. The genetic similarity between us and a squid is about 90%. We certainly aren't trees, and most of us are not rocks. Your dogma has completely obfuscated your ability to make or accept sense.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

"I'm not adept at making creme brulee," doesn't mean that I can and do make creme brulee.

And I am an animal. Human beings are animals.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM

811 posts, read 1,047,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Evolution belongs in the science classroom.

Creationism belongs in Sunday school.

One is proven.

One is myth.

Those who can't distinguish that difference have nothing to add to the discussion other than uninformed opinion.
What specifically has been proven with regard to evolution? In terms of micromolecules to man evolution?

Where is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies