Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times

Advertisements

I was wondering when this will trickle down to the working man?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/us-workers-still-struggle-as-companies-rake-in-profits-677838/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
If people lived a relatively simple life and learned to get by with less, and had less children, they could be millionaires when they retire.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
I've learned to live with less. Instead of 8 bass guitars, I now only have two. Until I need a fretless and then it will be three . . . and if I find a good deal on a 3 Tone Burst Fender Deluxe Jaguar bass, then it will be four . . . and if I - dang this is hard.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,021 times
It's coming.

Any day now....

Any year now...

That article is depressing though. It basically points out in a concrete fashion that because of globalization and technology the fate of the common citizen and the corporations, stock market and the well to do are almost completely divorced. The very rich and their corporations, stock market and managerial class will continue to do great while everyone else's standard of living will continue to gradually erode.

Until we reach some sort of pressure point or breaking point between the haves and the have nots or when the standard of living for average Joe will decline in a more rapid pace than has been taking place over the last few decades.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
It would work if record high government debt and promises of future taxation due to programs such as ObamaCare didn't disincentivize growth in the private sector...You can't increase the threat of future taxes in a period of economic recovery. What do you expect companies to do?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM

19,625 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I've learned to live with less. Instead of 8 bass guitars, I now only have two. Until I need a fretless and then it will be three . . . and if I find a good deal on a 3 Tone Burst Fender Deluxe Jaguar bass, then it will be four . . . and if I - dang this is hard.
Now that's crazy. Who can live with only two bass guitars and NO fretless? There needs to be some bass guitar public assistance so everyone can have at least four.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
The U S is up against a wall, one of the reasons companies are doing so well is the 1T dollars in extra spending to keep us out of a depression. Start taking away that money with austerity and of course some corporations profits would drop. The fundamentals of our economy have been out of whack for sometime but should we keeping propping up a dead economy with borrowed money?

Trickle down is working, the gvt borrows money and pays out UE beni's, food program,SS, etc etc. And then that money ends up being corporate profits who set records with a slim down work force. What is the answer to our economic situation?, I am not sure.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It would work if record high government debt and promises of future taxation due to programs such as ObamaCare didn't disincentivize growth in the private sector...You can't increase the threat of future taxes in a period of economic recovery. What do you expect companies to do?
Based on the numbers for this year your rhetoric is way off. It looks like a lot of capital spending is starting to occur.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default It ain't me either

This economy, with the no growth for the many and huge income for the few, will continue until the many spend all their income on necessities and no longer have any left over to buy, even on credit, any of the manufactured goods available in the market. Eventually even Wall Mart will be too expensive and people will keep older consumer goods instead of buying new. Three years of that, along with a stagnant housing market, will crash the economy and the financial system that is dependent on endless selling and growth. A consumer economy dies when the consumer runs out of money and credit at the same time.

I guess we have about another decade left before a complete restructuring will be required to recover from a complete collapse. We will then be cursed by living in Interesting Times.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Based on the numbers for this year your rhetoric is way off. It looks like a lot of capital spending is starting to occur.
Growth is much slower than it would be without the future tax promises. Capital spending should have started to occur a few months after the crisis. Why on earth do you think it has taken this long?

An education on macroeconomic theory is not 'rhetoric'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies