Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is what happens when there is no assimilation.
Are you for this or against it? Kind of hard to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A lot of "small government conservatives" on here, like the OP, would love it if the US implemented Quebec style language policies and enforcement . Quebec even tried passing laws, don't know if it was successful or not, to deliberately force all students in public schools to speak in French only during school hours.
IMO, if it is an Italian restaurant then to use Italian words on the menu is appropriate. Same goes for any ethnic restaurant. That's a whole lot different than constantly blabbering in a foreign language out in public especially if one knows the native language of that country.

I think that in the workplace, school, etc. the language of that country should be spoken. It makes for cohesiveness and encourages communication in a common language. Otherwise it just breeds suspicion and divisiness.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Are you for this or against it? Kind of hard to tell.
I mentioned earlier in the post, I think all immigrants taking up permanent residency should assimilate to to that country.

You?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No, this is what happens when you try to force assimilation. The Quebecois are fairly militant about preserving French.

This thread does remind me though that if I ever go to an Italian restaurant in Quebec to say, "Je voudrais les pâtes..."
If an immigrant considers learning and using the language of the country they are migrating to as being forced on them then perhaps they shouldn't migrate to that country. Stay where you are then where your native language is the dominant one. Why move to a country and not desire to assimilate?

I don't think it equates to being militant for any country to want to preserve their nation's native language.

As for how I feel about ethnic restaurants reflecting the culture and language of the country that these foods represent I don't have a problem with that. There is a proper time and place for everything and this is one of them.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
This is what happens when there is no assimilation.
Ridiculous! Government should stay out of our lives - they have no business deciding what language someone can use in THEIR business.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A lot of "small government conservatives" on here, like the OP, would love it if the US implemented Quebec style language policies and enforcement . Quebec even tried passing laws, don't know if it was successful or not, to deliberately force all students in public schools to speak in French only during school hours.
Oh the horror!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh the horror!
Quelle horreur!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
I mentioned earlier in the post, I think all immigrants taking up permanent residency should assimilate to to that country.

You?
So "pasta" should not be on a menu anywhere other than in Italy?

Personally, I like sushi a lot, so, if that means those who brought it to this country and sell it as sushi have not assimilated, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies