Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

Most that I know are liberal. However, ALL Libertarians that I know would have no thought of restricting marriage between same sex partners who choose to marry. I am a Libertarian who believes the government/state has no right to infringe on who and who can not marry based on gender. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Most that I know are liberal. However, ALL Libertarians that I know would have no thought of restricting marriage between same sex partners who choose to marry. I am a Libertarian who believes the government/state has no right to infringe on who and who can not marry based on gender. What gives?
I would imagine it has to do with all the stuff other than gay marriage. Liberals don't just say gays should be able to get married, they label homosexual people as a victim group. Within the context of liberal identity politics homosexuals get their own identity.

This comes with access to affirmative action, advocacy, freedom from being offended, etc. You're taken out of mainstream society and put into a group that deserves special consideration and benefits due to your oppression.

Whereas with a libertarian they will just say you get to play by the same rules as everyone else. Civil rights, but also no minority preferences.

If you are a homosexual person you gain more by being liberal than libertarian.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
It's more because the GOP is so virulently anti-gay, that gays end up being Democrats by default.

Like it or not, libertarianism is still a fringe political movement -- not just for gays, but for everyone. You might as well ask "why aren't more people libertarian?". The idea that gays gravitate toward liberalism because we want "affirmative action" is just ludicrous.

And besides, many self-proclaimed libertarians are actually stealth Republicans.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Libertarians want the government out of marriage completely.

Liberals and gays want it regulated. It would make sense for them to be liberal if that is a chief concern.

And marriage is not restricted between same sex partners anywhere in the U.S. Gay wedding ceremonies happen all the time in every state. Nobody is being arrested or fined for it. It is not restricted/illegal.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules;
happen all the time in every state. Nobody is being arrested or fined for it. It is not restricted/illegal.

This is a really bad line of thought. Terrible.

If I sell you my house, unless the house sale complies with the laws governing contracts, we have no enforceable deal or contract.

If you go and proclaim that you and your horse are married, that marriage contract has no force or bearing whatsoever because it does not comply with the law.

Marriage proclamations by ANY combination of people are invalid unless they comply with the requirements of the marriage contract.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is a really bad line of thought. Terrible.

If I sell you my house, unless the house sale complies with the laws governing contracts, we have no enforceable deal or contract.

If you go and proclaim that you and your horse are married, that marriage contract has no force or bearing whatsoever because it does not comply with the law.

Marriage proclamations by ANY combination of people are invalid unless they comply with the requirements of the marriage contract.
It's a perfectly valid point I made. The OP said gay marriages were restricted.

They are not restricted in any way by anyone in the United States.

Just because some State governments don't recognize the contract does not mean the contract is not real. Or that the people arent married.

You need the government to approve of everything you do to make it legal? Not me.

This is why I beleive most homosexuals would support liberals over libertarians. Libertarians want government out of marriage completely. Liberals and gays want government control over the bedroom.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Are you saying you are not capable of holding up a private contract unless the government tells you how to do it?

It seems simple to me. I pay you the money. I own the house. Not sure why government needs to be involved at all.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
It's a perfectly valid point I made. The OP said gay marriages were restricted.

They are not restricted in any way by anyone in the United States.

Just because some State governments don't recognize the contract does not mean the contract is not real. Or that the people arent married.

You need the government to approve of everything you do to make it legal? Not me.

This is why I beleive most homosexuals would support liberals over libertarians. Libertarians want government out of marriage completely. Liberals and gays want government control over the bedroom.
If you want libertarians out of marriage, then get rid of hetero marriage altogether. Just null & void all of them, all of the ones that have happened & from now into the future. No more marriage. No more contracts, no more tax benefits, no more benefits period. That includes your own marriage if you're married.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It's more because the GOP is so virulently anti-gay, that gays end up being Democrats by default.

Like it or not, libertarianism is still a fringe political movement -- not just for gays, but for everyone. You might as well ask "why aren't more people libertarian?". The idea that gays gravitate toward liberalism because we want "affirmative action" is just ludicrous.

And besides, many self-proclaimed libertarians are actually stealth Republicans.
Not given all the gay activism, it isn't ludicrous.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
If you want libertarians out of marriage, then get rid of hetero marriage altogether. Just null & void all of them, all of the ones that have happened & from now into the future. No more marriage. No more contracts, no more tax benefits, no more benefits period. That includes your own marriage if you're married.
That's exactly what I said.

Government should get out of marriage.

If liberals and homosexuals were really interested in equality that's what they would believe also.

Why should married people (hetero or homo) get special treatment over single people? Where's the equality in that?

Liberals aren't about "equality" they are about control.

I wouldn't null and void marriages. If people wanna get maried they should get married. I just don't see why the government needs to get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies