Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why?

"Little kids" have been handling guns since the early days of America.

They took their guns to school.

There were school run shooting teams. Even in Wash, D.C. schools.

They went hunting UNSUPERVISED. Oh, the horror!

There are MANY shooting competitions especially FOR young kids and they are doing great.

We have stories TODAY where young kids, even girls, have SHOT armed intruders breaking into their homes.

What has changed?

What the ignorant idiots don't even think about, because they have lived a protected life, over protecting their kids, so they never learn and are kept as ignorant as they are, then at 18, they can legally buy their own firearm. Yes, "they can drive without ever being behind the wheel", if you want a comparison.
It is a right to own a firearm. Laws cannot restrict that right. So, it would behoove all of society, if firearm education, begins when the children are able to pull a trigger, instead of some uneducated, untrained idiot, buying their first gun and thinking it is a toy.

Those that get guns when they are very young, their first gun is 99% of the time a long rifle or shotgun.
Those that are over protected as kids from the big bad gun, 75% of the time buy a hand gun as their first firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
I was 10 when I got my first rifle.

I was taught gun safety RELIGIOUSLY, never had an incident or even a remotely close call.

I bought a better rifle with my own money at a gun show around age 13. I used to routinely shoot it after school in the woods etc. as I grew up at the edge of a rural town.

I currently don't have any guns at my house, I would though if I lived in the country.

Too many people coddle their kids. I was stunned how many kids I met in college that had never driven a car. I can understand NOT driving in an urban area but not being even ABLE to is sad. Throw in all the 18+ yos that can't operate a washer or dryer....can't cook an egg....and so on and so forth.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why?

"Little kids" have been handling guns since the early days of America.

They took their guns to school.

There were school run shooting teams. Even in Wash, D.C. schools.

They went hunting UNSUPERVISED. Oh, the horror!

There are MANY shooting competitions especially FOR young kids and they are doing great.

We have stories TODAY where young kids, even girls, have SHOT armed intruders breaking into their homes.

What has changed?

In the 70's, if it was hunting season and it was a school day, our rifles and shotguns were in our lockers, or on the gun rack in the truck, in the parking lot.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I was 10 when I got my first rifle.

I was taught gun safety RELIGIOUSLY, never had an incident or even a remotely close call.

I bought a better rifle with my own money at a gun show around age 13. I used to routinely shoot it after school in the woods etc. as I grew up at the edge of a rural town.

I currently don't have any guns at my house, I would though if I lived in the country.

Too many people coddle their kids. I was stunned how many kids I met in college that had never driven a car. I can understand NOT driving in an urban area but not being even ABLE to is sad. Throw in all the 18+ yos that can't operate a washer or dryer....can't cook an egg....and so on and so forth.
Plenty of people here in NYC have never driven a car, but in this city you really don't need to know how to drive a car to get anywhere you want to go.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,928,784 times
Why dont kids do what we did in the old days..go to area small businesses and beg for sponsorship. The ballpark would paint thier company's name on an outfield ad board...That was the American way.

Our uni's had B and N Auto Supply on them.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the 70's, if it was hunting season and it was a school day, our rifles and shotguns were in our lockers, or on the gun rack in the truck, in the parking lot.
ANYTHING liberals are afraid of, the try to ban.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

20,421 posts, read 12,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Little kids and guns is a bad idea, imo.
blahter!

when I was 10 years old, I wond a shotgun in a raffle from my baseball team! It was awsome. I used that gun for years hunting. I blew up the woods! LOL.

I am now well into middle age and never once did something bad with a gun.

Little kids and guns are a great idea.... so long as they are properly supervised, educated on gun safty and given reasonable freedom to use the gun as they grow in age and responsibility.

Only those who do not understand guns say such silly things like "little kids and guns are a bad idea".

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
blahter!

when I was 10 years old, I wond a shotgun in a raffle from my baseball team! It was awsome. I used that gun for years hunting. I blew up the woods! LOL.

I am now well into middle age and never once did something bad with a gun.

Little kids and guns are a great idea.... so long as they are properly supervised, educated on gun safety and given reasonable freedom to use the gun as they grow in age and responsibility.

Only those who do not understand guns say such silly things like "little kids and guns are a bad idea".
Key words here.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Plenty of people here in NYC have never driven a car, but in this city you really don't need to know how to drive a car to get anywhere you want to go.
As long as you never have to risk leaving large urban areas then I'm sure that works great for them.

I visited Ireland years ago and rented a car and drove around. You get a much different experience than if you just stick to the rail stations, urban hubs and *shudder* tour buses.

Just one example. I think it's a valuable skill personally, but to each their own. Heck, there are plenty of people that can't swim out there and that even more critical.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,899,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No, but donating a car would be an appropriate, non-political donation for a children's baseball team. It also wouldn't have prompted the content of your original post, or your need to create this thread which you thought was so funny. What I wrote was an absolutely appropriate analogy, not "non-sequitor."

My comments were never about you, or your beliefs, they were about the children who are being used as pawns in a political agenda. This whole "let's auction off an assault rifle in the name of gov't oppression" is thoughtless and boorish, and worse, gains its publicity on the backs of children.
And donating a car would not have generated this thread nor the national publicity that is has garnered. They are getting raffle purchases from around the country now for an item that is in very high demand. This is a lesson in smart business thinking.

And I was part of a raffle for a hunting rifle in college. To raise money for MDA, my fraternity would buy a hunting rifle and sell chances during the fall. At halftime of the home game before deer season, we would draw a winner. That rifle was inside the stadium at that game and all of the previous ones. The winner had to pick up the rifle from the local gun shop and complete all background checks as if he were the one paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies