Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,208,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unless the want ad said specifically that no unemployed need apply these folks are going to have a hard time proving it if they "think" being unemployed was the reason.
This law came about because that is exactly what employers were doing. We want and need the unemployed to work, but if employers won't even consider the unemployed then there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Is the bolded part true? Please cite something credible to defend this.

If a company has this as a written "policy" they will remove it in an area with a law like this. I cannot believe, having worked in a large company HR department, that they would write such a policy.

I think there is built-in economic incentive for many companies to hire people presently unemployed. It is likely they could pay less to such a person because they don't need to entice a person to leave their current job. For a huge number of relatively commodity jobs - that probably works well already.

There has never been a large scale policy to prevent discrimination against the unemployed during hiring. That is because there has never been a time when "the unemployed would be unemployed in perpetuity." Physically that is impossible unless the number of jobs in total was shrinking.

Job listings say the unemployed need not apply
Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'
Unemployed? Then Don't Bother Applying - CBS News
'Unemployed need not apply' a disturbing trend - Chicago Tribune
Companies won’t even look at resumes of the long-term unemployed
If You Don't Have a Job Now, You Might Never Get One
Don
How Being Unemployed Makes it Harder to Get a Job | BusinessNewsDaily.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
This law came about because that is exactly what employers were doing. We want and need the unemployed to work, but if employers won't even consider the unemployed then there is a problem.
So what volunteer work and continuing education are the unemployed doing so that they have a gap-filler on their resumes?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So what volunteer work and continuing education are the unemployed doing so that they have a gap-filler on their resumes?
I think that depends on the person, but they are or were specifically told not to apply unless they are already employed. Employers are almost like women, they don't want you unless someone else wants you and if nobody wants you they question why and decide they don't want you. Yet they get furious if you leave for another employer that will give you what you want.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 PM

742 posts, read 675,898 times
Sure we don't need more laws, or Nanny Stating but the fact is there's hiring discrimination that gets by because it is not defined by discrimination laws. Corperate interests is dwindeling the pool of eligible employees.

I barely agree with that side on stuff, but there is job discrimination against people who have been unemployed for a while. Many do not get hired if they did not work in the last year. At least this may help people obtain work instead of having the state care for them. Don't know how the law suits will effect other future opportunities if the employment hears about it.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
Quote:
I think that depends on the person, but they are or were specifically told not to apply unless they are already employed. Employers are almost like women, they don't want you unless someone else wants you and if nobody wants you they question why and decide they don't want you. Yet they get furious if you leave for another employer that will give you what you want.
If they are smart then employers will just shut up and look at resumes to get the info they want.
That will tell them all they need to know.
And no one can prove anything if the employers don't say anything.

The law will need to expand to ban resumes so that employers can't tell how long a person has been unemployed.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If they are smart then employers will just shut up and look at resumes to get the info they want.
That will tell them all they need to know.
And no one can prove anything if the employers don't say anything.
You also have employers that are afraid of whistle blowers and will obey the law. We can't blame people for being unemployed if it was through no fault of their own. Think about it, if you are overqualified you won't get hired because they think you will leave, but if you are unemployed they won't hire you either.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
But that is my point, you pick up volunteer work, you apply anyway and say "I left my job at xxx a year ago and have been studying computer programming while helping person 1, company 2, etc. with their websites."

That is enough to get you in the door, then you can prove you are worth the paycheck.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But that is my point, you pick up volunteer work, you apply anyway and say "I left my job at xxx a year ago and have been studying computer programming while helping person 1, company 2, etc. with their websites."

That is enough to get you in the door, then you can prove you are worth the paycheck.
No it's not, if you are currently unemployed then you are specifically told "do not apply and we will not consider you". Volunteer work is not employment unless you are looking to work for a non profit. You have to be able to get your foot int the door before you can convince them to hire you, but the unemployed aren't able to get their foot in the door.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,107,183 times
Quote:
No it's not, if you are currently unemployed then you are specifically told "do not apply and we will not consider you". Volunteer work is not employment unless you are looking to work for a non profit. You have to be able to get your foot int the door before you can convince them to hire you, but the unemployed aren't able to get their foot in the door.
This law won't help them unless the employer slips and says they won't hire them because they are unemployed.

"Thinking" that is the reason won't hold up in court.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but I am saying that I would personally ignore a request like that and apply anyway. Additionally, this is why networking is so important. If you know someone at that company, they can get you through the door. The unemployed should spend as much time as possible getting to know as many people as possible. If a person spends 60-70 hours/week networking, educating themselves on new skills and volunteering, they will find a job somewhat easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies