Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 02:27 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are "Generation me", very narcissistic and having wealth is very important to them.
A mere 30% of them care about politics. Seems like apathy is winning with each new generation of adults.
That's the general description of Gen-Y.

I should have really posted.."This is the government you got because you didn't care enough"
If it were even the case that they did not have apathy, which can surely be partially attributable to hopelessness of a sort, they are politically out gunned, financially, by man hours, and by experience. I find it a little troubling to see older generations not taking some responsibility for the younger. The younger generation can never be blamed alone. That is reserved for the older generations who have already shuffled the deck.

For what have we given them? We have given them web1.0 to build their social media and we have given them wireless. Yes we built them roads and highways, but it seems for a funeral carriage because we built it with a mountain debt and selling the soil beneath them.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My generation has done your generation a huge disservice - we didn't teach you how to not be devastated by dissappointment. Those are lessons that are best learned as children and we didn't let you do it.
The biggest disservice you did to my generation was ending the family unit. I never knew my biological father, and never did any of my friends. My parents didn't care about me. They were alcoholics, as a result of the hippie culture that "you" developed. They never taught me any skills of how to do things around the house. They never even taught me how to drive. Many people my age had parents that weren't involved with our upbringing. They kept us cooped up inside. They were too afraid to let us go outside, since they were paranoid of the news they saw on tv.

...And to that I say,

"Go **** yourselves".

Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. You are incorrect, the fees on ebay are minimal. Take out a loan, and price your services to compete with others who provide the same services, if your price is better you will get business.

2. My kid went to college, and has a great job. Of course she has a great work history, starting at the low end of a totem pole ad working her way up. She has great references, because she didn't expect to start at the top, and did things the right way.

3. I have a job, not minimum wage, my kids have jobs, paying more than min wage. You start at the bottom and work your way up. I work with people and have family that all prove you are incorrect.

This is justified in ANY country you live in. You earn your own way.
Absolutely 100% correct! I, like you and your kids, have worked from the bottom up while educating myself and finally got into a good paying career job.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,335 times
Absolutely agree with this thread. The baby boomers have completely destroyed this country for their children. Gen Y has a much, much more difficult time advancing in life than BBs. Gen Y is THE FIRST generation in US history that's expected to have less wealth than the previous generation before it. You can thank greedy BBs and their entitlement benefits as wells as companies run by BBs that off shore jobs to make more profits for the big reasons why this country is going down the toilet. BBs will go down in history as the single worst generation to ever run this country, they've left it worse off because of their greedy "me me me" attitudes.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I don't understand why 1 bedroom apartments are dumpy.

..I live in a 400 sq ft apartment.

Mattress works fine.
Shower and sink work fine.
Stove top, while small works fine.
Fridge works fine.

As long as those are okay, that's all the space I need to live in.

..Total bills are 500-550, depending on season
..Food is 300
..Insurance is 120
..Scholarship/loans pay for school.

...Took me a while to find a job, but I work it around 35 hours a week, providing for

...Everything.

...I am gen Y. I work full time and go to school full time.

...It's not hard.
Congrats on doing what you need to do. I really mean that. It's a good example to set for your peers.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Absolutely agree with this thread. The baby boomers have completely destroyed this country for their children. Gen Y has a much, much more difficult time advancing in life than BBs. Gen Y is THE FIRST generation in US history that's expected to have less wealth than the previous generation before it. You can thank greedy BBs and their entitlement benefits as wells as companies run by BBs that off shore jobs to make more profits for the big reasons why this country is going down the toilet. BBs will go down in history as the single worst generation to ever run this country, they've left it worse off because of their greedy "me me me" attitudes.
Most Gen Y'ers are also Me Me Me people. They expect to start at the top of the mountain and not have to climb an inch.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Most Gen Y'ers are also Me Me Me people. They expect to start at the top of the mountain and not have to climb an inch.
That is not really true. The complaint in this thread is not we want to start at the top, it's we want a chance to succeed. We want jobs that match our skill level and investment we made in ourselves through education (though some choose beter majors than others).

Good paying jobs are hard to find, even when you get a foot in the door promotional opportunities are near non existent. Everytime someone retires they just restructure the work load and not fill the previous position. We all end up doing more work for the same or less pay when you take into account inflation.

When I bring this up all I hear from BB is work harder, like that is the one thing I didn't consider.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Not to mention the rather hypocritical nature given that OWS was certainly more linked to the youth who have been more shut out of the system.

Are the boomers going to make any sort of pretensions that they quietly acquiesced to the fate given to them by their elders? Certainly it cannot be all of them who can make that claim.

Abbie Hoffman Quotes - BrainyQuote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That is not really true. The complaint in this thread is not we want to start at the top, it's we want a chance to succeed. We want jobs that match our skill level and investment we made in ourselves through education (though some choose beter majors than others).

Good paying jobs are hard to find, even when you get a foot in the door promotional opportunities are near non existent. Everytime someone retires they just restructure the work load and not fill the previous position. We all end up doing more work for the same or less pay when you take into account inflation.

When I bring this up all I hear from BB is work harder, like that is the one thing I didn't consider.
We have a chance to succeed but, due to globalization, you need to be a lot smarter or skilled to get a good job in this economy. That's our reality.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:51 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

The man who is CEO of the company my husband works for is a Generation X. Yet you blame BB's for this? It's not quite all black and white. The baby boomer years is 1946 to 1964... There are boomer's who are not even 50 yet! They are dealing with the same exact same issues that you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies