Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He and my mother-in-law are both disabled they don't have a choice. The funds are there for our vets so why not use them? Maybe after they are dead the money will finally come through. Our elderly and vets are second class citizens in this country while there always seems to be funds for welfare queens, illegal immigrants and other scammers.
This is so sad and the vets should come FIRST!!

How we can give to illegals and strain our budget to the point of debt being passed on to future generations and they will struggle..

How we create legislation , with congressmen, and senators fighting for the rights of illegals is indecent.. they should put AMERICANS FIRST ... WHERE IS THE BIRTH RIGHT IN THIS COUNTRY!! Obama is stealing from Americans to give to illegals and that is the real truth. Stand in line behind many illegals and their anchor babies when Obamacare goes through.. if you are lucky to see a doctor that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
It took my mom at least 5 years to get her disability. Things only got moving AFTER Obama took office.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
It's just another example of where we need to spend more, a LOT more, but that's not possible because Republicans are obsessed with pretending we're in a debt crisis when we aren't even remotely near one. That's why the T-bill interest rates are damn near zero right now because so many people want to loan us money (T-Bills are seen as the safest place in the world to park cash) so the yield gets bid down as people compete for the privilege of loaning us money.

We're at 200 year historic lows on yield so we're no where remotely close to a debt crisis and, given that interest rates are net negative in real terms, we should be spending on every single thing we need infrastructure wise right now. But we're not mostly because Republicans are either stupid or deliberately trying to make the economy worse just like they've been doing for the last four years. There really is no other explanation for their actions.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:29 PM

7,583 posts, read 6,052,104 times
It is a Shame.
I had a client out of VA a year ago (At my old job) We needed a brace for his leg. The VA Sent the wrong size. They promised to make it right
Then they said no he had to make due with what he had
Then after we deemed it medically necessary, they agreed to give him a new one
THEN they went back again and said NO that they cannot give him 2 different ones
Then they said they would look into it
Then they said "I don't know what you are even talking about."
Then he ended up having to make due with the old one and hopefully, he is ok now.....(I do not work for that agency anymore)

Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
Obama is too busy promising illegals their easy US citizenship so they can qualify for better government handouts and promising them they'll be given college financial aid ahead of Americans for him to care about American veterans.

Veterans are too middle class and too American for Obama to care about them. The jobs and the aid goes to illegals first.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
"A spokesman for the VA told the CIR that the department is being inundated by a nearly 50-percent increase in the number of filed claims. He said the growth was due to a combination of increasing numbers of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans returning home, broadening claims for PTSD and Gulf War illness, and new guidelines allowing Vietnam vets to request compensation for complications due to exposure to Agent Orange.

The cost of war is never ending.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It took my mom at least 5 years to get her disability. Things only got moving AFTER Obama took office.
I will say here, as I have said on other threads: President Obama has made zero difference on the speed that disability claims are processed. We (for I work for ODAR) have less staffing than ever, yet we have improved our speed in the past few years due to new computers, video conference hearings, etc. The number of filings is way up (due to Baby Boomers), but things are improving.

When I first joined ODAR (called OHA back in 1988) I often wrote decisions in which the hearing was two years prior to my decision. I even had special language I used for deceased claimants.

Over the past two-plus decades I have seen a real willingness (regardless of who the President was) to get people a decision faster, whether 'good' or 'bad'. Since 1988 the definition of disability has not changed, save for children seeking SSI benefits, and Congress changing the law that 'substance abuse' could no longer be a basis for disability (plus other, minor, changes).

While I have read elsewhere that President Obama has taken some pains to improve funding for the VA, he has not, to my knowledge, been active in improving disability processes. The Commissioner for Social Security (over the years, whoever they were) have been very proactive in this regard. Mr. Astrue was the prior Commissioner, appointed by President Bush in 2007, and his term expired just recently (they serve for six years). The acting Commissioner, Ms. Colvin, continues the policy of improvement. President Obama has appointed her (and I guess she will be confirmed soon, if not already) and I expect we will continue to improve our service to the public.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,099,422 times
For everyone that thinks Rachel Maddow is some noxious, liberal demon, she's the only anchor that regularly covers this problem, and she's been trying to shine light on it for the last several years.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
While I have read elsewhere that President Obama has taken some pains to improve funding for the VA, he has not, to my knowledge, been active in improving disability processes. The Commissioner for Social Security (over the years, whoever they were) have been very proactive in this regard. Mr. Astrue was the prior Commissioner, appointed by President Bush in 2007, and his term expired just recently (they serve for six years). The acting Commissioner, Ms. Colvin, continues the policy of improvement. President Obama has appointed her (and I guess she will be confirmed soon, if not already) and I expect we will continue to improve our service to the public.
I cannot imagine any president being active in improving the process within the VA or any agency. This is not the first large scale organization to become enmeshed in a paper crisis.

If the talent to develop large scale process decomposition and streamlining does not reside within the VA, that's what consultants are for. No need to reinvent the wheel. Follow the model of private insurers who eliminated most paper claims a long time ago.

The long term cost savings will justify the investment.

This situation reminds me of how the financial services industry once operated and how the fiefdoms within banks and broker/dealers initially resisted, to protect their turf and to some extent, jobs.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,671,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Veterans Often Wait Over A Year For Benefits, Some Wait Up To 642 Days As VA Struggles To Handle Claims

OK So I read this article, and The President claims he does all he can to help veterans, and I know some vets who voted for him. They may be as disappointed as myself right now with this report.

According to this article, the V.A. has a backlog of new claims and thanks to Obama's heath care and medical cuts, they cannot get our veterans the help they need when they need it. The wait time for benefits + the number of applicants = overwhelmed agency

To me, this is unacceptable. In my opinion, and in my votes, Veterans would get better, in fact, they should get what they need without wait.
The problem is the V A system itself, and I know because I have had to deal with clients over the years through the V.A. If the president is so set on helping Veterans, like he claims, then this would be a good place to start.
The system needs fixing, yes, but so far, little has been done to "fix" anything. Much of what has been attempted has failed anyway, and I say that from within the health system.
(Hopefully this post will not get deleted like 95% of mine on the politics forums usually do.)
I would hope that there would be enough concern in Washington to provide for these men and women who risked their lives for us. That is the least that they deserve. In my opinion.
President Obama also denies the Purple Heart and health care to the Fort Hood terrorist attack victims in Texas all because he wants you to believe that Al-Quaeda is on the run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies