Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times

Advertisements

Since it appears that the democratic form is easily corrupted and stricken by partisanship, let us consider the alternative.
If you were Galactic Emperor of the united States of America, and your will was law, how would you deal with:
One __ The subsidy of waste and the penalty on frugality (i.e., government meddling, red tape, bureaucracy, regulatory abuse)
Two __ The subsidy of consumption and the penalty on production (taxation, grants, etc)
Three __ The subsidy of non-producers and the penalty on producers / laborers (entitlements)
Four __ The corruption, bribery and malfeasance of public servants under your command
Five __ The fraudulent conversion of protected rights into subject privileges (i.e., right to travel converted into privilege to drive, etc.)
Six __ The restoration of prosperity (the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services)
For example, item one, as Galactic Emperor, I would end all public financing of roads, bridges and infrastructure, and cease taxing and restricting electric traction rail. Once the true costs are visible, the problem will swiftly correct itself, rail transport will take over 80 - 90% of the cargo and passenger service, and eliminate petroleum imports.

Another example, item two, as Galactic Emperor, I would cease giving grants to pay fuel bills, water bills, electric bills, or otherwise subsidize their consumption. I would encourage frugality, conservation and thus reduce the overall consumption of fuel instead of maintaining the status quo. No one should be compelled to labor for the benefit of another, regardless of how pitiful the recipient is.

Additionally, as Galactic Emperor, I would end all public funding of mass transit, and any other "service" not explicitly related to securing rights of the people.

{Your ideas?}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
How can one be Galactic Emperor of a single country (not even continent) of a single planet?

Wouldn't help for the poorest individuals in society for basics like food and heat just make them starve and freeze to death?

Are you seriously okay with that?

Wouldn't being an "emperor" of the US circumvent democracy, the founding principal of the United States? You didn't say how a person got the position, or would keep the position, or be accountable to anyone else.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Galactic Emperor??? - Somehow I'm having visions of Mars Attacks, Jabba the Hut, and Wrath of Kahn all rolled into one. A big blob of narcissistic goo who gets in front of the TV and says.."Ack, Ack, Ack". Oh wait... we've already got 538 of them in D.C.....

Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
...As a galactic emperor, I would make sure this country has education of the highest degree. I will go far and wide to make sure the United States has the best talent in terms of engineering and service. With technology to travel the galaxy I will do my best to make sure that this country can find ways to make space travel profitable for our society. I would be pleased to serve the people and help rush in a new era of exploration for man kind.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
If you were Galactic Emperor of the united States of America

What the hell do you mean "if"?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
try to build and maintain a permanent presence in space so my title makes sense.

my first official act would be to ban travel to uranus under penalty of death.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
I'd get me a couple hundred concubines and not worry about the rest of ya.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
How can one be Galactic Emperor of a single country (not even continent) of a single planet?
Depends on your definition of "Galactic" and your sense of humor.

Quote:
Wouldn't help for the poorest individuals in society for basics like food and heat just make them starve and freeze to death?
A Galactic emperor would not ban voluntary charity - just compulsory charity.
Slavery is never a viable solution for the ills of mankind.

Quote:
Are you seriously okay with that?
Are you seriously okay with slavery? (Compulsory labor for the benefit of another)
Quote:
Wouldn't being an "emperor" of the US circumvent democracy, the founding principal of the United States? You didn't say how a person got the position, or would keep the position, or be accountable to anyone else.
The "founding principle" of the United States of America is that government was instituted to (a) secure rights and (b) govern those who consent.
That does not read "majority can impose will upon a minority" (a la democracy).

You might also read the U.S. constitution wherein Art. 4, Sec. 4, guarantees a REPUBLICAN FORM (no connection with "republic")
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly ...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695

DEMOCRACY - That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy."
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 432
The key distinguishing feature between a republican and democratic form is sovereignty.
In the republican form, the PEOPLE individually are sovereign and directly exercise that power.
In the democratic form, the "whole body of citizens" indirectly exercise it via representation. But in truth, democratic majorities override the individual, so no individual's rights are secure. And citizens are obligated to perform civic duties, so they are subjects - not sovereigns.

As to how or why someone becomes "Galactic emperor", I suppose if he guarantees that he will help (a) secure rights and (b) govern only those who consent, he wouldn't be any worse than the District of Criminals - ahem - "Public servants" currently in office.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Galactic Emperor??? - Somehow I'm having visions of Mars Attacks, Jabba the Hut, and Wrath of Kahn all rolled into one. A big blob of narcissistic goo who gets in front of the TV and says.."Ack, Ack, Ack". Oh wait... we've already got 538 of them in D.C.....
Congress has a total of 535 voting members.
Who are the other three?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
...As a galactic emperor, I would make sure this country has [1] education of the highest degree. I will go far and wide to make sure the United States has the [2] best talent in terms of engineering and service. With technology to travel the galaxy I will do my best to make sure that this country can find ways to [3]make space travel profitable for our society. I would be pleased to serve the people and help rush in a [4] new era of exploration for man kind.
[1] Are you referring to credentials or education? Anyone can learn, any place, any time, and any method. Credentials are what educational institutions bestow - not education. How else could a constitutional scholar not know the constitution and still become president and winner of a Nobel peace prize for waging two unWars in Asia?

[2] Do you intend to kidnap them or offer them generous remuneration?

[3] When you refer to profitable, do you mean in terms of usury - gain in money for the investment in money? Or do you mean a return on investment denominated in goods and services (but not in money)?

[4] Good goal. Fortunately, due to advances in computers, we can surf gravity, via the Interplanetary Transport Network.
Interplanetary transport network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Interplanetary Transport Network (ITN) is a collection of gravitationally determined pathways through the solar system that require very little energy for an object to follow. The ITN makes particular use of Lagrange points as locations where trajectories through space are redirected using little or no energy. These points have the peculiar property of allowing objects to orbit around them, despite the absence of any material object therein. While they use little energy, the transport can take a very long time. Which is ideal for self sufficient space colonies, who can afford the time but not the fuel / energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_habitat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKendree_cylinder

Last edited by jetgraphics; 03-17-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies