Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,874,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, no, that’s a right-wing fantasy about what liberals believe. We don’t want to punish the rich nor do we believe they are evil. We just want them to pay more taxes. You can favor redistribution without indulging in class hatred; it’s only the defenders of privilege who try to claim otherwise.
Fantasy? This was just a small step away.

The Obama administration will begin to tap federal retiree programs to help fund operations after the government lost its ability Monday to borrow more money from the public, adding urgency to efforts in Washington to fashion a compromise over the debt.

Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner has warned for months that the government would soon hit the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling — a legal limit on how much it can borrow. With that limit reached Monday, Geithner is undertaking special measures in an effort to postpone the day when he will no longer have enough funds to pay all of the government’s bills.

Treasury to tap pensions to help fund government - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,125,061 times
Quote:
What am disproving is your fallacious assertion that Obama has caused growth in spending.

I mean you can believe whatever fantasy and myth you want. That's your right, but don't pawn it off for a minute that it's actually reality. The facts show conclusively that Obama has flattened spending increases.
And where did I assert that ? I think you ASSumed here.

Nowhere did I put the onus on Obama.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,875,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Politics and parties in Europe are not the same as politics and parties in the US.

No country wants to default and being in the EU would drag them all down.
Geeze..Greece has been on the edge of the abyss for over 4 years now and gets their loans each and every time.
Iceland let the banks default on liabilities to overseas creditors, including deposits in offshore accounts. Iceland also has it's own currency.

I don't see why Cyprus can't do the same thing -- have the banks default on foreign loans and move off the Euro. That's seems better than imposing cruel harm to its citizens.

I realize conservatives have a knee-jerk reaction to blame Cyprus but as the IMF points out:

Quote:
Before the 2008 crisis, Cyprus enjoyed a long period of high growth, low unemployment, and sound public finances.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,334,669 times
Cyprus bank " holiday" extended to Thursday

Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,875,593 times
Quote:
And where did I assert that ? I think you ASSumed here.

Nowhere did I put the onus on Obama.
Post #113:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
Actually, no, that’s a right-wing fantasy about what liberals believe. We don’t want to punish the rich nor do we believe they are evil. We just want them to pay more taxes. You can favor redistribution without indulging in class hatred; it’s only the defenders of privilege who try to claim otherwise.
Quote:
And all to support growing spending programs that are full of fraud, corruption, cronyism right ?
No end in sight..spend and tax.
Who else could you have been talking about, John Boehner?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,334,669 times
Quote:
Iceland let the banks default on liabilities to overseas creditors, including deposits in offshore accounts. Iceland also has it's own currency.

I don't see why Cyprus can't do the same thing -- have the banks default on foreign loans and move off the Euro. That's seems better than imposing cruel harm to its citizens.

I realize conservatives have a knee-jerk reaction to blame Cyprus but as the IMF points out:
Well I guess losing the money of Russian oligarchs is an option. I have a feeling though its not an option conducive to living a long life though.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,017,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You really aren't that bright as the issue is covered every where.

Tiny Cyprus threatens euro stability - CBS News
BBC News - Cyprus parliament to hold bailout crisis session
Cyprus bailout may turn out smaller thanks to deposit tax - Business - Stocks & economy | NBC News

In fact every single one of the MSM outlets have covered it, genius.

I am sure you know exactly when I first read about it.

You need to change your name to Think Before You Speak.

160 posts, read 126,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The Russian mobsters and their billions will be hit the hardest as far as the amounts seized. That's the bread and butter of all this. The little old ladies have to put in too of course. We can't only punish the criminals. Otherwise they would tax only the uninsured accounts, but this scheme is equal opportunity.
Just heard the numbers: Russians have about $18 bln, Europeans $80 bln. It is interesting how much American origin money are there.

19,372 posts, read 12,020,462 times
Some retired people live off their savings. They are not rich, they just have savings instead of income. This was their lifetime of savings from working, it has already been taxed. WTF on punishing people who sacrifice and save their money all their life.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM

19,372 posts, read 12,020,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Fantasy? This was just a small step away.

The Obama administration will begin to tap federal retiree programs to help fund operations after the government lost its ability Monday to borrow more money from the public, adding urgency to efforts in Washington to fashion a compromise over the debt.

Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner has warned for months that the government would soon hit the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling — a legal limit on how much it can borrow. With that limit reached Monday, Geithner is undertaking special measures in an effort to postpone the day when he will no longer have enough funds to pay all of the government’s bills.

Treasury to tap pensions to help fund government - The Washington Post
Keep punishing responsible savers trying to avoid poverty in old age. Just lie and call them rich because they have a 401K or IRA, even though they are told to keep saving, then when they do so, the gubmint can just steal it. How can anyone defend this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies