Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This was a post within a thread and I think it deserves its own thread for discussion.
False, we give away so much money to people, that you can get free stuff even if you earn a good living and aren't poor. So the thread is a giant /fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Go be poor in some other country if you don't like being poor here. lol
Well, the poor in another country have an advantage over the poor in the U.S. They can always come to the U.S. for the opportunity to help themselves out of the 'poor' status. It's almost historic.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You didn't link to where you found it, so I can't comment on your claim.

But the fact is that it's not paris, it's Rabat.

In english please?

Insecure? No, I'm just tired of seeing stupid comments.

Even if that was Paris, which it isn't, the existence of a single slum somewhere doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic.
Neither does your trolling...

Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 AM

160 posts, read 126,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
And the German poor have access to better education, job training, safer neighborhoods, higher mobility and healthcare than the US poor.
And that is what matters.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Are you talking about eating dirt pies outside your hut made up scrap tin with feces running down the river you just gathered water from poor or are you talking about poor as in I can't buy an iPhone 5 256 GB model and have to settle for a used iPhone 3 8 GB model and not in the color I wanted either?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What a moronic thing to say. Get educated. $10/hr US is rich in Cambodia...Geez, you Communists are unbelievable. Our education systems are the cause of your ignorance.
what? communists? education system?

and i have lived in cambodia. $10/hr is not rich in cambodia, it is low level expat work.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Even if that was Paris, which it isn't, the existence of a single slum somewhere doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic.
It might be Paris.

I think I posted a link after I followed that pic to a website. The pic was a screenshot from google maps. What was not included in the picture was paved roads and buildings that are intact right next to it. Baltimore and parts of DC are worse than that pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
False, we give away so much money to people, that you can get free stuff even if you earn a good living and aren't poor. So the thread is a giant /fail.
We are comparing 1st world countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Well, the poor in another country have an advantage over the poor in the U.S. They can always come to the U.S. for the opportunity to help themselves out of the 'poor' status. It's almost historic.
We are comparing 1st world countries. The poor in Australia or Germany have no incentive to move to the USA and have a lower quality life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Are you talking about eating dirt pies outside your hut made up scrap tin with feces running down the river you just gathered water from poor or are you talking about poor as in I can't buy an iPhone 5 256 GB model and have to settle for a used iPhone 3 8 GB model and not in the color I wanted either?
We are talking about the poor in 1st world countries. If you knew you were going to be born poor which country would you want to be born in?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
We probably spend the most on, and give the most to, the poor of any country. We have some very "well off" poor in this country. Still, this doesn't address, and may contribute to, the pathetic conditions of many of our inner city neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
America is the best country in the world -- for poor or for the well off.

We have opportunity and the resources to help you pull yourself up by your bootstraps. And we have agencies that will give you the boots if you don't have any.

Where else have people got it so good?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We probably spend the most on, and give the most to, the poor of any country. We have some very "well off" poor in this country. Still, this doesn't address, and may contribute to, the pathetic conditions of many of our inner city neighborhoods.
Not per capita, just in total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
America is the best country in the world -- for poor or for the well off.

We have opportunity and the resources to help you pull yourself up by your bootstraps. And we have agencies that will give you the boots if you don't have any.

Where else have people got it so good?

Um, any other developed country. The USA is great for the wealthy, but the tradeoff is it is not very good for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies