Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,848,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Thou shalt not have any other god but me. And liberals want to be the "me". Christianity and republicans are simply in the way of the Liberal power grab.
Well, since I don't believe in a god in the first place, your first statement is moot.

As to the second part, yeah, you'd like to think that you're the stalwarts standing tall against the "liberal power grab," wouldn't you? No, I just don't want your prejudices and belief in fantasies dictating what I or anyone else - including you - can or can't legally do with my life.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,253,395 times
So, not having an abortion is your personal choice. That's fine. That means you're pro-choice.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,917,960 times
Why do the radical Christians attack radical Muslims?

Here's an idea .. lets more all radical fanatics to one country far far away..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not mocking anything. It's funny that you think this life is so good, what with all the crime, dishonesty, hurting of others and general immorality that goes on everyday.
And have you ever taken a look at Buddhism? Do you think Christianity is the only religion which addresses human suffering? You also don't see a lot of Buddhists proselytizing or trying to make laws which adhere to their beliefs.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,105,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So, not having an abortion is your personal choice. That's fine. That means you're pro-choice.
I am absolutely not pro-choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And have you ever taken a look at Buddhism? Do you think Christianity is the only religion which addresses human suffering? You also don't see a lot of Buddhists proselytizing or trying to make laws which adhere to their beliefs.
Yes, actually I did. Buddhism is drastically different from Christianity. There is no God of Buddhism, it's a spirituality. There is nothing to proselytize. Jesus told us to spread the Good News, that's why Christians proselytize.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,064 times
Quote:

Yes, actually I did. Buddhism is drastically different from Christianity. There is no God of Buddhism, it's a spirituality. There is nothing to proselytize. Jesus told us to spread the Good News, that's why Christians proselytize.
You don't need a "God" to proselytize. You just need a "belief." Btw, what do you mean "a spirituality"?

pros·e·ly·tize (prs-l-tz)v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v.intr.1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

v.tr. To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/proselytize

Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,159 times
why the christian attack on women's rights and gays equal treatment under the law??? if you punch other people in the gut too many times.. eventually someone knocks you in the nose back! life lesson number 1

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 PM

22,176 posts, read 19,443,966 times
Quote:
Why do so many liberals have to attack Christianity? By attack, I mean to say Christians are not smart, they're rednecks, uneducated, crazy, anti-science, etc.

Do you not realize that most Christians are not just parroting what they've been taught, that they actually ask questions to get answers to things that might challenge their faith? I personally explored many other religions and types of spirituality before I became a Christian, so why would someone like me be considered unintelligent? That is not to say all people who call themselves Christian would fit into this category, but there is a good amount of people who have really thought things through and still come back to God.

Here's the thing about religion...it requires faith. There is no hard evidence of anything. But that doesn't mean we as Christians don't have to reconcile our views on science and the like with our faith. For some reason, this seems to bother liberals, but only when it comes to Christians. They attack no other religious group like they attack Christians. So what's the deal?

I won't stop with just liberals, either. Athiests seem equally offended by the Christian faith and refer to God as a "sky daddy" and to the Bible as a fairy tale. Don't you see how that's offensive? Your reactions to being offended by something that's not even harming you end up offending us. See how that works?

I put this in P&OC b/c I notice the main source of the problem is liberals and my personal opinion is that these folks are causing the decline of America as we know it.

P.S. I know the typical response is going to be that Christians want to legislate their morals, but that is not even true. While many Christians do share a similar set of morals and values, the reason we want to do things such as limit or eliminate abortion isn't anything to do with our belief in God, we just feel it's morally wrong to kill an unborn child. I'm not making this topic about abortion, just giving an example of a typical misconception.

Most liberals do not have a problem with Christianity or Christians, in fact most liberals are Christians. The issue for liberals, by in large is when many conservative Christians tend to want laws based off their personal religious beliefs, that is a Theocracy.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
why the christian attack on women's rights and gays equal treatment under the law??? if you punch other people in the gut too many times.. eventually someone knocks you in the nose back! life lesson number 1
Attack on women's rights? What, to limit or ban abortion? That's protecting a child, not attacking a woman. To make women pay for the their own birth control? That's economics.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You don't need a "God" to proselytize. You just need a "belief." Btw, what do you mean "a spirituality"?

pros·e·ly·tize (prs-l-tz)v. pros·e·ly·tized, pros·e·ly·tiz·ing, pros·e·ly·tiz·es
v.intr.1. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

v.tr. To convert (a person) from one belief, doctrine, cause, or faith to another.

proselytize - definition of proselytize by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
As I said, there is no higher power in Buddhism that has ordered believers to proselytize. The opposite is true of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.